DP 290 Volvo out drive

dasboata

Cadet
hi I have my 24 albermale apart I am trying to do as much work on it myself. I have new bellows cleaned everything up removed all the bellow adhesive I would rather not use it, but I don't want to have any leaks down the road I can not find any information on bellow installation I figured I need to star installing them on the transom assembly any help or vid are appreciated I can not up load any pics as this site says they are all too big ?? thanks Chris

alldodge

Staff member
Go to photobucket or other type site and link them from there to here

dasboata

Cadet
Go to photobucket or other type site and link them from there to here
appreciate the advise but that is just too much of a hassel all other sites accept pics from my computer or phone I will do with out them here thanks Chris

Maclin

Admiral
No adhesive is used on those drives, just sayin. The clamp orientation on the drive and exhaust bellows and the raw water hose is important to keep the screw heads from rubbing when the drive is tilted and turned. Instructions that make sense after the top of the drive is removed and a diagram showing the clamp orientation come in the OEM bellows kit..I think I put the transom end on first, been a while. Also a good time to inspect the raw water hose fitting while all that is apart. Those tend to corrode away just under the hose.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
agreed on replacing the $18 casting and gasket for the water inlet. guaranteed its corroded

also, agreed, no bellows cement. just make sure the clamps are aligned correctly

Here is the process if you took the whole drive off
put u-joint bellows on the PDS housing first.
feed shift cable into drive
set drive on ground, stabbing the u-joint shaft into the PDS housing over the PDS
swear a bunch
put hands in the really small area between helmet, PDS, and drive to get the shafts to align
swear some more
have the stars align and the shaft as well
push in drive
lift / jocky drive until the pins are in
work the u-joint bellows onto the drive and tighten clamp
raise drive to about 20 degrees
install water pickup hose
install lower exhaust bellows, starting on transom end

check your gear lube level

go boating

DonS has a great write up in the adults only section if you only removed the trans (upper gear case) from the drive to service the bellows.

dasboata

Cadet
No adhesive is used on those drives, just sayin. The clamp orientation on the drive and exhaust bellows and the raw water hose is important to keep the screw heads from rubbing when the drive is tilted and turned. Instructions that make sense after the top of the drive is removed and a diagram showing the clamp orientation come in the OEM bellows kit..I think I put the transom end on first, been a while. Also a good time to inspect the raw water hose fitting while all that is apart. Those tend to corrode away just under the hose.
I did replace the raw water fitting & gaskit it was corroded I'm glade I don't have to use the adhesive ,I used it on a bravo drive & was nothing but a PITA I'm going to get the power tun spray thank you ! Chris

dasboata

Cadet
agreed on replacing the $18 casting and gasket for the water inlet. guaranteed its corroded

also, agreed, no bellows cement. just make sure the clamps are aligned correctly

Here is the process if you took the whole drive off
put u-joint bellows on the PDS housing first.
feed shift cable into drive
set drive on ground, stabbing the u-joint shaft into the PDS housing over the PDS
swear a bunch
put hands in the really small area between helmet, PDS, and drive to get the shafts to align
swear some more
have the stars align and the shaft as well
push in drive
lift / jocky drive until the pins are in
work the u-joint bellows onto the drive and tighten clamp
raise drive to about 20 degrees
install water pickup hose
install lower exhaust bellows, starting on transom end

check your gear lube level

go boating

DonS has a great write up in the adults only section if you only removed the trans (upper gear case) from the drive to service the bellows.
I printed out the orientation of the clamps I also have the workshop manual ( limited ) sounds like fun I'm going to build a cradle on a floor to hold the upper and mid gear housing to help me in installation when you say stars you mean the splins on the shaft or are there indicating marks ? thank guys for your help

dasboata

Cadet
PDS meaning the transom assembly ? Quote DonS has a great write up in the adults only section if you only removed the trans (upper gear case) from the drive to service the bellows. is that the one on removing the side pins can you send me a link thanks chris

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
Glad you did the raw water fitting. Mine looked ok, but when I took the hose off there was a V shaped area missing, started right where the hose was, very sneaky problem. I did the hose also. Good luck, seems like you are ahead of the game some.

dasboata

Cadet
Glad you did the raw water fitting. Mine looked ok, but when I took the hose off there was a V shaped area missing, started right where the hose was, very sneaky problem. I did the hose also. Good luck, seems like you are ahead of the game some.
thank you,, My licensee plate is Boatnuts LOL been at it for 50 years LOL

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
go to the top of the forum, you will see the stickies.

In the volvo forum, there are two

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...es-outdrives/479879-adults-only-no-exceptions
and
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...68-must-have-technical-information-for-diyers

in the second one, there is a big bold Volvo Penta information

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...uiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/366271-vp

see #3

by the stars aligning, yes, you manage to get the PDS (Primary Drive Shaft) and the U-joint yoke aligned

dasboata

Cadet
go to the top of the forum, you will see the stickies.

In the volvo forum, there are two

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...es-outdrives/479879-adults-only-no-exceptions
and
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...68-must-have-technical-information-for-diyers

in the second one, there is a big bold Volvo Penta information

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...uiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/366271-vp

see #3

by the stars aligning, yes, you manage to get the PDS (Primary Drive Shaft) and the U-joint yoke aligned
yes I saw that thank you !! it will help