dog ramp

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was pricing dog ramps for pontoons, and they can get pretty costly. so I was wondering what some of you guys and gals did to get your pooch back on the pontoon. I got a puppy ( black Lab ) and she loves water, she finds the biggest puddle in the yard and goes to town in it. so I would like to know what you did or made to get the dog back onboard. pictures will be very helpful

thanks Jack

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: dog ramp

I was considering building something as well. We have a dachshund and he is long!
I was thinking about picking up a set of pet steps, the plastic ones that people keep near beds for older dogs to use, and modifying them some how to work. Can get a set on craigslist pretty cheap.
I was also thinking about just making a ramp out of 3/4 marine ply wood and carpeting it and building a bracket to slide in under the deck right under the door. Let us know what you come up with

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also thought of the plywood, but storing would be kinda tough,

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

we picked up doggy life vests with a handle on the top.

simply reach down and pick up the dog. BTW, the two with the life vests weigh in at 65# each.

the cockapoo is about 15# and seams to have fins so she pops out of the water onto the swim platform.

However there are a plethora of dog ramps that are in the $100 to $160 range. That is about the cost of the bar bill at the local water front place. I couldnt build something for that (I consider my time worth $25 per hour minimum)

Cuda K5

Cadet

I plan on building hidden ladder/ramp under the front of the pontoon. Use it as a ladder when you are on the water, set it on the ground as a ramp when you want to get off

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

we picked up doggy life vests with a handle on the top.

simply reach down and pick up the dog. BTW, the two with the life vests weigh in at 65# each.

the cockapoo is about 15# and seams to have fins so she pops out of the water onto the swim platform.

However there are a plethora of dog ramps that are in the $100 to $160 range. That is about the cost of the bar bill at the local water front place. I couldnt build something for that (I consider my time worth $25 per hour minimum)

the ones I seen online were between 300.00 and 375.00 I will have to keep searching.... thank you for all the replies

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

I picked up one of the paws aboard ladders as Fun Times linked and it works great (see my avatar). It works great since I modified it. The ladder comes with adjustable brackets which are positioned on one of the steps. It has Velcro straps used to secure it around each side of the ladder. The issue we had was it took some doing to install and remove. So what I did was remove everything and just leav the top bar on the inside. Drilled two holes through the bar and put two 5/16 4-inch long bolts. I then removed the plastic caps on the top of the boarding ladder and the bolts side down inside the boarding ladder tube. It now takes 10 seconds to install or remove the ladder

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks alldodge, I think thats the way I will be going

OK Toon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I wish our Lab liked water -- I think we have the only Lab that doesn't. If I don't beach the boat far enough and leave too much water in front of the boat, I have to lift him off and set him on dry ground (not easy to do with a 90# Lab). If there is a little water in front of the boat, he'll leap completely over it. He doesn't even like it when you try to put water on his head to cool him down. So he only gets to go on the boat when the Admiral and I go for our early morning coffee cruise or an early evening cocktail cruise. Otherwise, he's at the house in the A/C during the summer. If he's out with us and we stop for a swim, he'll lay at the back of the boat with his paws hanging over the boarding ladder, but he wants nothing to do with the water.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think this is especially true of labs, I have a big stupid labradoodle, that after a few attempts on the water he seems to manage the standard pontoon ladder pretty well. Once he learned where the steps were he really has no problem now climbing the ladder by himself...