1990 johnson 60 j60elesm OEM plug upgrade?

grumpster4320

Recruit
I have a 90 johnson 60 hp (j60elesm) I had the carbs rebuilt 2 years ago but am afraid they are clogged again? I pulled my plugs last night and each one is wet, they are 77jc4 OEM plugs and was wondering if there is an upgraded plug that would work better, hotter, maybe 79jc4? 2 steps higher? any suggestions?
My main problem is low idle stall even when hot. I'm not sure where too make the adjustment. thanks in advance for any help.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1990 johnson 60 j60elesm OEM plug upgrade?

In the diagram below #15 is the idle mixture adjustment screw.

Warm the engine up and while keeping the revs as low as possible screw it in a little at a time until it shows signs of being to weak then back out until it just runs smoothly

As for plugs L77JC4 or QL77JC4 are the recommended ones

You could perhaps try L82C or QL82C , or even L86C or QL86C with caution

14.png

grumpster4320

Recruit

Should I adjust any one carb in particular or all three?
There are these two black plastic knob/screw things at the bottom that the cables go through. What are they for?
There are also two long silver screws on the side of the motor and connected to this sort of arm piece that look like they adjust some sort of stop for the carbs?
What about the yoke thumbwheel adjustment, what is that for?
Sorry for all the questions but I'm not too good at this. Thanks for your time.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You have to be careful what you adjust there without knowing what you're adjusting.

I would reccomend getting yourself a factory OEM Service Manual off ebay. It will guide you step by step with diagrams for linc n sync, idle adjustment, etc...