Dillon Laker 14/16.5 Wooden Tunnel Hull Build/Mod Project

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just finished the boat drawing for tonight. What I drew is just the blank slate version for now. I'll go back and add my graphics ideas to this one and save each new version as a separate file. I MAY have not drawn the motor to scale. :laugh:
Laker%20-%202%20seat%20outline%20-%20master.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Is that to true scale? If so, that engine seems too big. :noidea:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Mine looks pretty big on Miss Morgan, I think its because they are so tall compared to other engine configurations. It does look pretty big lol.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just took the line drawing from the Dillon website and opened it up in paint. When paint converts the image from JPEG to BMP, it always adds a bunch of extra pixels all over the place. So I spent some time removing all of those from the image. Then I just copied the side profile view of the motor from the cover of the Owners Manual I got of of Ebay. I obviously didn't figure in the differences in scale between the two images when I drew the motor on the hull. But at least the motor was almost a perfect match between the manual cover and my computer monitor.:lol: I guess I got so spoiled using AutoCAD and Inventor in my Drafting classes that I forgot how limited MS Paint is in that regard.

I actually wanted the bottom edge of the windshield to slope down so the trailing tip of it was pointing at the junction of the coming and the motor board. Paint only would give me the option to rotate selected parts in 90* increments, so I just left it as is for now and brought the upper edge of the coming up to meet the windshield. Maybe I'll try to redraw it in Inventor later, but I'm still not very good at making compound curves.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
gomopar440, Have you ever used Visio Pro, CorelDraw or SolidWorks? Those programs allow more freedom to draw almost anything, especially SolidWorks. In SolidWroks you can draw different items and then mate them together and it will tell you if they fit and what is wrong if they don't fit. And you can even run stress tests on the items as well before and after mating them together to see if the entire assembly will actually work. I have used them all and the only problem I have using them is once you learn one format pretty well, seem the others are 180 degree different. So you have to stop and really think when changing from one format to the others all the time. But isn't that how software is suppose to work. :facepalm:

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've played with MasterCAM a tiny bit a long time ago, but other than that I haven't really used any of the other CAD programs out there. Auto CAD Inventor lets me design parts and assemble them as well. It actually sounds a lot like SolidWorks from the description you gave of it.

I downloaded the free version of Sketch Up recently and I was completely baffled by it. Everyone that recommended it to me said it was easy. I guess I already schooled my brain with the AutoCAD way of drawing things.

Unfortunately I couldn't finish the last year of my Drafting Technology classes due to an unplanned back surgery. It doesn't look like I'll be going back to those classes so I only have a basic working knowledge of AutoCAD and Inventor. I still have all my books for the classes so I can try to teach myself the rest, but it'll take a bit of trial and error before I can say I'm halfway proficient at any of it.

It doesn't help that my laptop with the CAD programs on it has been giving me the "Blue Screen of Death" every other time I try to boot it up lately. If I can't get the student versions of those programs to migrate over to my desktop PC, I may loose them if it's the hard drive going out like I suspect it is. In either case, I'll just make the best of what I have.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
...This calculator seems to be a little more realistic to me...
http://www.csgnetwork.com/marinepropcalc.html
Well, I tried this one out, but they don't have a spot to put in the weight of the boat or a constant to account for the water drag on the hull. This calculator seems to have the opposite problem as the one I posted, reading way too conservative. I put in 5500 RPM, 2:1 Gear Ratio, 19 Pitch, .04 (4%) for Prop Slip and it gave me 47.5MPH. I tried the same number and just changed the Prop Slip to .06 (6%) and it said 46.5MPH. That doesn't sound right at all when the Laker Bob dillon built with a 70(crank rated)HP motor is getting about 60MPH without having the motor positioned where it needs to be for optimum speed.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
It is too conservative, it was off about 6 mph for Miss Morgan. I would guess with that hull you maybe around 60ish. In the end, they are all I guess unless you model the hull and specfic power plant.

I hear your on sketch up. my brain is wired for autocad. I have learned some of sketch up, but it is so different from the autocad thought process. I have people that can go back and forth, but it takes practice...

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
I sent an email to Bob to see if I could get an update on how his Laker turned out. His website mentioned he was going to try a few things to improve on it, but I couldn't find any updates posted anywhere.

FWIW: This particular hull, while not designed for any known racing class, is modeled after one of his other slightly smaller racing boat designs, the Laker SC12. When it's up on plane, it's only riding on tiny sections at the back of the pads, so about 98% of the hull is out of the water. That and the motor lower unit is all that will be in the water when running at speed. There's not much of a wetted area of the boat left for the water to drag on. The hull between the sponsons is shaped like a wing and creates a cushion to help "float" the hull. Needless to say, Having a good working, and fast responding, trim setup is very important on a boat like this. Driving it carelessly or unattentively can easily lead to a blowover. I've watched enough different tunnel hull videos on Youtube to figure that out at least.

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Cats are like flying, my friends skater is that way. More like flying than being in a boat. very cool project......I may have to add one of these to my master project list!

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm calling a day (night?) as I'm whooped. I just came in from burning most of the interior and upper decks of the big blue boat. Smelling like a campfire has me craving Smores now.:D

I got most of the trash and wood emptied out of the little 14' Rambler now. I'm still thinking hard about possibly keeping that little guy and fixing it up. Am I crazy or did I just inhale too much of that smoke tonight:noidea:? I can take some pics of it tomorrow now that it's emptied out for the most part.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes, I would say so on the addiction as well. And the truly sad part about it is, there are no half-way houses or AA type programs to cure such addiction either. :facepalm:

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
LOL, you guys are funny! All I can add is, the addiction is real, truly it is!

Keep at it GoMopar440, seems real interesting...I'd like to join in on this fun! I'll follow along quietly....

Frey

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've had so many project "addictions" over the years I don't even try to hide it anymore. Those AA type programs are just for quitters.:D