Dillon Laker 14/16.5 Wooden Tunnel Hull Build/Mod Project

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Long story, summed up. Still working on the tow rig, mostly because I'm now converting it to EFI using a MegaSquirt 3/3X ECU kit to allow me to run it in full sequential fuel and spark mode. It's also getting a full roller cam and valve train setup to get away from the older flat tappet technology. At least that WAS the plan... I have since found another boat project, so I'll be holding off with the EFI swap and sticking with the carb setup for a little while longer. The cam and valve train swap is still happening though.

The new project is a 1971 Pony V-hull speedboat I just picked up from an ad on Craig's List. It will be commandeering the '84 Mercury 115, so the Laker project is getting mothballed for a while. Since I pulled it home yesterday, I stripped the few remaining components from inside the hull. There's an old style Airtex electric fuel pump (model# 12V-E12AX) and a Mercury fuel filter base (model# 89876) that look good enough to reuse. The steering is a vintage rack style setup with a single 13' Morse cable. That is getting replaced with a Teleflex NFB 4.2 Rotary dual cable kit to prevent high speed flutter in the steering. Other than that I'm going to try to keep it simple so I can hopefully get it on the water this summer. Here's some pics from the CL ad.

Attachments

• photo292635.jpg
    photo292635.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo292636.jpg
    photo292636.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Glad to hear from you gomopar! I went with the teleflex no-feed back rack on Miss Morgan, LOVE it. Works great with the 115 and unless you turn it the wheel stays where it is. It eliminates the fatigue from trying to counter the prop torque all the time. I don't know anything about the dual rotary, but you might check into the rack if yours was originally set up that way. Looking forward to seeing the build!

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Once I get the OB on the transom and the old steering cable hooked up, I'll still need to get a steering wheel and adapter before I can test out the old rack helm and cable. With no OB or steering wheel mounted yet, I haven't been able to see if there's any life left in the old steering rack and cable.

I did get out to the boat before the rain/wind storm hit here today in order to see if the 115's control box and cables would work with this hull. The cables look like they could be about a foot or two shorter, but they should still work fine for now. That's definitely better than being a foot or two too short. I will need to put a small extension on the bottom of the inner side panel area to be able to mount the control box a little lower so the top of the box doesn't protrude above the top of the side rail.

We're forecast to have highs in the 40's tomorrow with freezing lows and a chance of snow :)smow:) either Sunday night or Monday. That'll slow me down a bit from getting started since I'm still working on everything outside. I'm hoping that will be the last of the "S" word I'll have to speak of for a while...:facepalm:

I'll start a separate Pony project thread once I can really get started on it.

My wife is getting the SilverLine Rambler hull and is planning to cut it up and turn it into a shelter for her sheep. So much for saving that one.:rip:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
LOVE the flames on the new boat! Glad to see you back at it!

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
The guy I got the boat from owned a body shop, so the flames were his idea. The original factory finish was purple metal flake gelcoat. I've got a few touch ups to do here and there on the paint, but the hull appears to be pretty solid otherwise.

Looks like the weather isn't going to get as bad as the forecast said, so I may get a little work in on the Pony today after all.:happy: