Deep Channel hog!

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The other day, the wife and I were heading upstream on the Kiski river, which is a narrow river that feeds in to the Allegheny river about 35 miles north east of Pittsburgh, Pa. The first mile or so is navigable for pleasure boats, and obviously no commercial traffic. Perfect for redneck yacht clubs, and water sports. I was on plane, on the deep side of the channel (right). On the left where 2 anchored boats. I slowed to slow no wake, out of courtesy to the anchored boats, and I was approaching my destination. There was an open bow boat, on plane, headed downstream on the deep side of the channel. He refused to steer away from me. Himself, and his wife threw their arms in the air at me. There was know place for me to go. If I would have turned right, I would have hit the fallen trees that are partially submerged, if I would have turned left, I would have crossed his path, and probably wouldnt have been able to get going quick enough to avoid a collision with him. I stopped. He whipped around me, waked the hell out of me, all the while flipping me off and yelling "Get the ef out of my way you effing dumb*****!" I was pissed, to say the least, and took every ounce of self control, to not turn around and chase him down. I was as far right as I could be. and there was plenty of room in the deep side, for him to go around, and not bother the other anchored boats, or myself with his wake. Its like he thought he owned the river, or something.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Deep Channel hog!

Idiots everywhere, best to just ignore them if it isn't something actionable by the water patrol.

southkogs

Staff member

I see that quite a bit down here in our rivers and impounds. The only consolation is that typically what goes around comes around for a dude like that.

emoney

Commander

The waterways are like anywhere else; full of idiots. Whats even worse is there are a ton of folks out there operating vessels that understand nothing about right-of-way let alone common courtesy. Owning a fixed draft sailboat will introduce you to a number of people that understand your lack of manuverability or your right-of-way under sail, especially when it pertains to being in a channel concerned about draft.

Like suggested, best to secretly hope he spins a prop and be on your way. It's not like they would've "learned" anything from any alternative.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I frequently encounter those who do not know that you pass port to port and find myself playing chicken with them too many times. One of the safest things to do when addressing a boat who doesn't seem to know, is to (a) hold your course as best you can so he has a constant, not a variable, to deal with and (b) any move you make, exaggerate it (eg don't drift to starboard, initially turn hard) so he sees clearly what move you are making.

After than not much you can do.

I have also encountered inconsiderate boaters who insist on staying in the channel (>40' deep) when there is literally a mile of water on either side that is 10-20' deep, no hazards, flat bottom. They act as if they are locked in or on pavement when everyone would be happier if they went outside and avoided other boats.

Again, not much that you can do.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I frequently encounter those who do not know that you pass port to port and find myself playing chicken with them too many times. One of the safest things to do when addressing a boat who doesn't seem to know, is to (a) hold your course as best you can so he has a constant, not a variable, to deal with and (b) any move you make, exaggerate it (eg don't drift to starboard, initially turn hard) so he sees clearly what move you are making.

After than not much you can do.

I have also encountered inconsiderate boaters who insist on staying in the channel (>40' deep) when there is literally a mile of water on either side that is 10-20' deep, no hazards, flat bottom. They act as if they are locked in or on pavement when everyone would be happier if they went outside and avoided other boats.

Again, not much that you can do.

It would be nice to have a thing like they use on whale wars that can tangle up a prop..

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Potato cannons work. They make a nice noise against a fiberglass hull.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have often considered mounting a tater gun on the front deck

southkogs

Staff member

... We sometimes keep water balloon slingshots on board. So far it's only ever been used for "friendly fire."

bekosh

Lieutenant

No half measures. if you're going with a cannon, go real.
This should get peoples attention.:eek:
hertca-lg.jpg

I see that quite a bit down here in our rivers and impounds. The only consolation is that typically what goes around comes around for a dude like that.

thats so true. i was turning in to a small pass thats in a min wake zone i swung wide going in as another boat was dropping off plane and i wanted to give him enoght room on the corner as a bass boat can be a little funny coming off plane quickly. the boat behind me decieded that it didnt want to follow me up the pass so he comes around on the inside between me and the boat coming off plane and punched it down the pass. it didnt bother me but the one coming off plane got a little screwy in the wake. about 2 miles down the pass get real shallow and thin and there was lilly pads across the whole section with a fresh path cut in them. i kept on plane and followed the path. a mile later the boy racers in there shinny boat was sitting dead in the water. there overheat alarm had gone off and they decieded to stay on plane as it was shallow now the motor has cut out. (theres clean water every few hundred yards so dropping of plane only takes a few mins before you can find a spot to get back on it so running with the overheat buzzer didnt seem like a good idea) i asked if they needed help and they said no it just needs to cool down then it will be ok...lol..they asked if my boat was overheating i told them no as someone had already cut a path throught the bad spot.. a hour later i see the marine repair boat going back down the pass ($175 a hour just for a tow....lol)

catfishcarl99

we would have gotton the same in return but pro called worse. after that its his move. best of luck to him.

carribbean soul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rules of the road... assuming you were contained by draft.

5 or more prolong blast of the horn

korygrandy

Unfortunately when I got on the freeway this morning to go to work, I realized a lot of these same people also drive cars... :facepalm:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Water rage at it's best!! some of us get out on the water to unwind, then some of us just carry our bad driving habits to the water.

fishrdan

Admiral

I especially like the part where he was under power and had problems avoiding a slow moving (or stationary) boat. Strange to think that he doesn't know that a boat steers,,, left,,, and right,,, and has this weird handle thingy that will magically make it slow down. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing, anything you did, he would be pizzed about it. Just a bad situation that he should have removed HIMSELF from. I hope karma takes a huge bite out of his hind quarters.