CRACKED BLOCK:O

whywhyzed

Banned
Re: CRACKED BLOCK:O

I have a 3.0 Block if you want to rebuild yours. I also have a decent running 3.0 with an external only crack, I was going to swap everything to the good block some day, but I barely have time to squeeze out a fart these days...the JB weld is holding on my cracked one and will have to continue to do so... block is 2 pc rear seal

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Keep the updates comin' bondo.

That is a project I have wanted to do for a while. However, right now all of my resources are going into the house(1903 Victorian).

Just have to live vicariously through you for a while:=

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice

After pulling the oil pan and looking at the crank and rods. motor will need a little more attention . bottom half has a lot of rust cause motor has sat for awhile . anyway I"ll be pulling motor and getting it dipped to check for cracks to possibly rebuild. you may notice new username lost old password .

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice

Attention .............Attention ................ boat runs and is in the water ! Geez a little over 2yrs since I started this project !

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

way to go bud!!!!!!!!! Good things take time. Glad to here of your success!!

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks cooter ,, I still have things left , butt I am starting to see results we actually went out and rode it niceeeeee !

Rickairmedic

Commander

"Had" s the Key Word of your post 8X56,........

And, it was a Nice Newer Low Hours Take-out, Not Rebuilt.....

Last summer a local Marine Mechanic bought Both the 3.0l,+ the older, 140hp motors I had kicking around,.......

Both for the Dollar$ I was looking for Too..............

Timing was Impeccable as well,......

The Funds paid for the Houseboat("Mom's Paycheck"), the Rebuild of the Drives on the Mom's Paycheck,+ the Transportation of the Mom's Paycheck, to it's New Home..............:love:

Back to Topic,........

Ayuh,........

Any of the "GM" 4 cylinders that was used by Mercruiser, OMC,+ Volvo, from the mid-60s thru current dates.........
The Choices are,...... The 3.0l,+ the 2.5l..........
But,...........
ANY of the 3.0ls,+ 2.5ls that were used in Cars or Trucks will NOT Fit,........
They're [colour=red]Totally[/colour] Different Castings............

Bondo I have a question here following what I quoted from you here . I have a 1974 Larson with a 120 Merc in it and I have the possibility to pick up a 1986 Bayliner in nicer shape with a blown vovlo 4 banger in it if I am reading this right I should be able to swap in my merc into the bayliner without alot of hassle ? I think thats what I read :D.

Rick

Bondo

Staff member

Bondo I have a question here following what I quoted from you here . I have a 1974 Larson with a 120 Merc in it and I have the possibility to pick up a 1986 Bayliner in nicer shape with a blown vovlo 4 banger in it if I am reading this right I should be able to swap in my merc into the bayliner without alot of hassle ? I think thats what I read :D.

Rick

Ayuh,... Mixing,+ matching Mercs,+ Volvos probably won't work....

Unless they're Both 3.0l motors,+ you Strip them down to Long Blocks...
The Merc motor would have to be dressed as a Volvo...

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After pulling the oil pan and looking at the crank and rods. motor will need a little more attention . bottom half has a lot of rust cause motor has sat for awhile . anyway I"ll be pulling motor and getting it dipped to check for cracks to possibly rebuild. you may notice new username lost old password .

I've built circle track engines for a hobby for the past 20 years, and my one piece of advice, don't rebuild unless you are willing to invest 100% effort and $$ into a quality rebuild. If you start "cheaping out" half way through the rebuild, your engine will be coming back out of your boat a year later... My personall thoughts are to just find a used complete engine. I have heard in circles of conversation those old GM 4's are just about bullit-proof (except for freezing solid) :) j/k

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice

I took the motor out and sent it to the machine shop . total rebuild !