Cooling fan bypass switch on arctic cat 4wheeler

KRS

Banned
Update

Update

Got the thing started.

Starts rough.

Runs rough cold, will quit if throttle let off.

Runs okay warm.

Question about the choke.... I'll get to that in a minute.

First, ran it hard tonight around some dirt roads, brought it home, left it running while sitting still; the oil cooling fan came on after about a minute. Woo Hoo! Glad you were all right, I was worried about it though.

So, the choke seems counterintuitive to me. My machine runs better with handlebar choke lever pulled rearward, however the little diagram makes me think that is applying the choke. Seems wrong. Also, can't find a choke plate in the carb.... so is this an enrichment choke like my Kawasaki KLR650 had rather than an air restriction choke?

Is the choke applied by pulling it rearward and left on to start or does it squirt some fuel and then needs to be pushed forward to start?

I'm going to get a new oil filter and oil; how many quarts for this machine? Is the engine/tranny all serviced by the same oil reservoir like a motorcycle? Going to get the synthetic cat stuff as suggested in this thread; the bike only has 92 miles on it, is that too soon to go with synthetic?

Can I service the air filter element with the two cans of aerosol KLOTZ air filter cleaner and air filter oil that I have?

Thanks for all the help, getting excited about this... anyone want to go riding ? :)

642mx

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Update

Re: Update

So, the choke seems counterintuitive to me. My machine runs better with handlebar choke lever pulled rearward, however the little diagram makes me think that is applying the choke. Seems wrong. Also, can't find a choke plate in the carb.... so is this an enrichment choke like my Kawasaki KLR650 had rather than an air restriction choke?

Yes, its an enrichener choke. Pulling toward the operator is "choke on" Pushing it towards the headlights is "choke off"

Its running better with the choke on because your pilot jet is restricted. Pull the carb, then the float bowl. The pilot jet is right beside the main jet... there is also a starter jet you should clean too, but don't get them mixed up.

I'm going to get a new oil filter and oil; how many quarts for this machine? Is the engine/tranny all serviced by the same oil reservoir like a motorcycle? Going to get the synthetic cat stuff as suggested in this thread; the bike only has 92 miles on it, is that too soon to go with synthetic?

I think the 400 autos hold right at 3 quarts. Look on the engine case beside the dipstick. AC's normally have the capacity written on the cases. (before you ask, you don't screw the dipstick in when you check the oil).

Its never too early to switch to synthetic oils. Some of our new stuff (700 H1 & Thundercats) have synthetic oils from the factory.

One drain plug will drain all the oil. Its a 21mm plug. Change the filter and your done. The tranny shares the same oil.

Can I service the air filter element with the two cans of aerosol KLOTZ air filter cleaner and air filter oil that I have?

I hate Klotz, get some mineral spirits to clean the filter. (mineral spirits, then hot & soapy water, then air dry, then oil) And use Maxima's Fab 1 filter oil. Nothing compares to it!!

Thanks for all the help, getting excited about this... anyone want to go riding ? :)

I would love to go riding... but my foot is still broken! :mad: And no, I didn't break it from riding, I broke it walking across my driveway... :eek:

Hope all this makes sense... I've had a few cocktails at Olive Garden tonight. :D

KRS

Banned
Re: Cooling fan bypass switch on arctic cat 4wheeler

Pulled carb (that choke cable plastic nut is a real bear to tighten back up!).

Unscrewed the jets (never have done that before, was a little nervous).

Main jet was good.
Start jet was good.
That pilot jet (right on the money 642mx) was crudded up. Blew it out and it was clean.

Buttoned it all back up, pushed choke lever forward, then rearward (cold start) and it started just perfect. Slowly moved choke lever forward and idle smoothed out.

Going to take it for a ride right now.

Will report back.

KRS

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Good deal! I forgot to mention in my post last night that you might want to swap the spark plug since its been ran with the choke on so much. They use a NGK CR6E.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

HEY KRS, glad you got all the stuff sorted out and did'nt cost you a small fortune to fix it.

As soon as this snow melts and I put away the ski-doo, I am going to have to figure out if I have to replace the carb-head rubber boot on my old 600xt as the thing is 1985 and its sucking air in I believe through the cracks in the boot

(after 50 kicks, WD 40 is great for finding air leaks :rolleyes:)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Now that KRS has got his problem solves...

Is there any Yamaha Techs floating around!

:confused:

rbh

Fleet Admiral

What did you break now Dave??? :p

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Now that KRS has got his problem solves...

Is there any Yamaha Techs floating around!

:confused:

I've been racing Yamaha mx bikes since 2001. What do you need to know? :)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I've been racing Yamaha mx bikes since 2001. What do you need to know? :)

Actually I have a 95 Kodiak 400 with the high/low transmission and when I shift it into reverse it will jump in and out of gear, I know it is a simple adjustment so I called the local yamaha shop to find out if I adjust the cable to the front of the bike or the back of the bike and they basically told me it would cost $75.00 to look at it. Take into account, I am 45 miles one way from the shop and I currently have a big dump of snow that happened overnight, so it is a bit of a strain to dig the trailer out and take it to the shop, I know how to wrench, I just wanted to find out which direction to go, so the darn thing don't jump out of gear, which can be a real pain when your A** deep in snow you have been plowing...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Try to disconnect the linkage and move the **** lever by hand. This will make sure it is not anything internal with the transmission.

Just a guess but my vote is for a stretched cable so...... whichever direction tightens it. It probably does not have much travel.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Actually I have a 95 Kodiak 400 with the high/low transmission and when I shift it into reverse it will jump in and out of gear, I know it is a simple adjustment so I called the local yamaha shop to find out if I adjust the cable to the front of the bike or the back of the bike and they basically told me it would cost $75.00 to look at it. Take into account, I am 45 miles one way from the shop and I currently have a big dump of snow that happened overnight, so it is a bit of a strain to dig the trailer out and take it to the shop, I know how to wrench, I just wanted to find out which direction to go, so the darn thing don't jump out of gear, which can be a real pain when your A** deep in snow you have been plowing...

Thats a good one... I'm not sure either, but if its just a simple cable adjustment, you should be able to count the revolutions on the adjustment and start with a little "trial and error" method and see how it goes.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Speaking of Kodiaks, a friend of mine is trying to get me to buy an 01 he has for plowing snow. Are they enough 4 wheeler do push anything deep?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Yes they are, I just finishing pushing my driveway which is about a 1/2 mile long, and we had about a foot of wet, heavy nasty A** snow today and I was able to get it plowed out to a decent width....I have a 60 inch country plow on the front of mine and no chains on the tires, but I do have pretty aggresive tires on it to dig in and I run them with about 2 lbs of air pressure in them to give them a wider track, but yes, the Kodiak 400 will plow snow as long as you don't horse it...

I will have to take a couple of pictures in the AM, and post them!

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Appreciate it! The more info the better. I'm a lousy test driver, everything I try sticks to me...:rolleyes:

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Thats a good one... I'm not sure either, but if its just a simple cable adjustment, you should be able to count the revolutions on the adjustment and start with a little "trial and error" method and see how it goes.

Agreed.
(not sure if you would do this in gear or in neuatral though)
If you can access the shifter linkage, back off the set nut and slowly tighten and see if this makes a difference.

Question, when you engage the shifter does it stop and lock in a detent position and only backs out when you push a disengage button, or will it float back and forth???

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

On My ATV, there is no shift button, this is a completely manual system...I have to shift through all 5 gears in forward, and I can put this transmission in low and shift through all 5 forward gears.. then I have a lever that I shift manually into reverse..I have to push down on the brake lever to shift into reverse..

Of course now, today was a challenge, the darn shift lever broke off at the housing, so I need to secure a new shifter handle..but at least I got the plowing done.

I am very pleased with this ATV, I actually have 10 forward gears with the hi low transmission and 1 reverse gear, so that is an 11 speed transmission on an ATV...:D

I just want to make sure I adjust it correctly, cause I sure don't want to have to buy another one!

KRS

Banned

Started great this morning with the choke.

Changed the oil (3 qts) of arctic cat synthetic.

Changed the oil filter.

The magnetic oil drain plug has a few little bits on it, they were bluish.

Runs great.

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it.

KRS