computer advice

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: computer advice

strokeoluck said:
Ok guys, I went on Dell.com and built a custom desktop to see what it would cost. I still plan on waiting till 10/22 to review Windows 7 machines in retail stores and online, but I thought I'd get a feel for current costs. The price for this machine was $1,368 w/out shipping or tax. Thoughts...changes?

Nothing wrong with the system you have put together there. It will meet all your needs and more. You can even play most of the games available today with that setup.

If you are happy with the price then go for it.

i386 said:
MS Works is ok as long as you understand what you're getting. If you want Office, it's best to buy it with the computer as it will cost less.

Check to see if you have the microsoft office disks that you used to install on your last PC and reuse those. You don't need to buy the latest version everytime.

moonfish said:
There's no reason to warranty a computer for 4 years. In that time it will be obsolete.

I totally agree with that statement. Warranty on a PC is worthless after 1 year.

moonfish said:
Stuff like speakers from dell is like buying candy bars at the gas station.

This is also true. You might save 30 bucks buying a similar speaker setup from a retail outlet. Just a matter of convenience I suppose.

okboating

Seaman Apprentice

I personally have taken to buying mid-low range computers the last few times. I can usually get screaming deals from places like newegg and tigerdirect. Also if you are not set on Ms office suite for your word processing and powerpoint presentations, open office is great! It is free and you can save your work in whatever format you need to. You might also think about using firefox. It works great, and has fewer viruses then explorer. If you setup a kids computer you might want to set up some kind of parenting software. I use one called K9 or something. One more thing, I can't stand Norton or McAfee, try Avg or Avast, they are both free to home users and much less intrusive.
Good luck, Dave

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Looking at your build, I would avoid McAfee plague. You could have the fastest machine on the block, but their software will tank it. You might as well throw a brick at your machine. Norton is just as bad.

Here's a Windows security hint. NEVER run admin as your main account. Set up a secondary user account without admin privileges. Use that for daily use & reserve admin account for installing trusted software & such. This will combat many security issues & if you limit the admin access it'll keep crap off your new machine. Also, FYI, Windows Live OneCare should be free before too long. Not the best, but it won't suffocate your machine & combined with the above you should be okay.

I've been running Win7 for about 6 months. Definitely worth the wait.

Not a fan of HP, but I've had good luck with Lenovo. I prefer building my own machines as you can extend their life much longer than any store bought brand. My desktop is older than my 5 year old son, but can still run just about anything on the block, including Win7. I just upgrade as needed, although I'll will be doing a major overhaul before too long;)

I recommend checking out Newegg if you haven't already done so. Hard to be their prices & their shipping rocks.

Lastly, there is no reason to buy the most up-to-date machine. Computers will NEVER hold any long term value, so buying a beast that'll be worth half the value within a year is pointless.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

I didn't see okboating's post until after I posted mine, but I completely agree.

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

Check to see if you have the microsoft office disks that you used to install on your last PC and reuse those. You don't need to buy the latest version everytime.

You know, this is true for pretty much all the software you have now, and some of your hardware too!

You can reuse your current monitor - no *need* to upgrade it, (but you may want to 'cause you can...)

Any software you have - office, games, your photo editor, etc. - can be installed on the new PC too. Why buy it again if you already have it? (Unless the new with system price is better than an upgrade price...)

You may be able to do this with your current OS as well, if it can support your new hardware - and you are happy with it.

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

Get a new iMac and say goodbye to viruses and the windows ball and chain. You won't be sorry.

Getting such a PC/Mac discussion started will probably wind up adding a new item in the ever growing "list of things that will get a thread banned".

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again guys, you've given me some great input. I'll admit, I'm not really that experienced at installing things on a computer. Seems there's always some little hiccup, and I'm not good with computer hiccups. Not to mention I'm probably going to be doing this on a weekend day - which is valuable family time - so the shorter I keep the process, the better (in other words, I'm willing to pay for simplicity and speed). But I will check my old files to see if I have the old Office install disks (they'd be ~5 years old!).

I added the speakers because a buddy has the subwoofer set up and I really like that - was thinking the wife could crank up Pandora.com when she's working around the house and would be a nice little treat since I'm too cheap to install a home theater system of any kind (house came pre-wired, but I have no clue what to do with it nor do I want to pay someone to do it). And yes, I think it would be nice to have a bigger monitor though we could certainly get away with the smaller one.

I'll check out some of the other websites too, and see if I can find a better deal for quality equipment. Maybe I'll post a few more items to get opinions in the next few weeks. Thanks again everyone!

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

Well... let me throw some more chum in the water then...

You could look at some 'deal' sites, such as:

techbargans
slickdeals.net
woot - even if only to read the descriptions.
dealnews

To name a few. If not for your computer, then for things such as your speaker system, monitor...

gonefishie

Commander

Wow dude, that system you built on dell is one heck of a set up. Way more then what you said originally. What is so great about Window 7 anyway? There are negative comments about every OS that ever existed. I have never had any problem with anyone of them. You hear about XP crashes and stuff but I have never even seen it happens or know anyone that experienced it.

The reason Mac doesn't have much virus problem is because Mac is so annoying and wee-todd-it that even viruses avoid them. :D Just kidding. It's not immune to virus. It just that there are so few of them, coders don't bother to write malicious codes for them. Why go after the rare 10 pounder when there are millions of 1 pounders everywhere?

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ok I will change my earlier response if you are willing to spend upwards of $1300.00 get your daughter A nice Laptop as she is getting close to the age where she will want her own computor and get a good desktop in the $600.00-$800.00 range . I do agree that Staples usually has the best deals going on computors that they actually have instock . I have 3 teenagers and can tell you each of them having their own computor makes for ALOT less agravation ( He/She wont let me use the computor ) . There are 3 desktops in my house and 4 laptops and everybody is happy and can all be online at the same time without pissing off one of their siblings :D.

Rick

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just thinking ahead, how do we get all of our itunes songs off our current computer and onto the new one?

I've got an outside/separate storage device and am comfortable transferring pics/docs to it. Will the itunes library work the same way?...just copy/paste a folder?

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Copy music files to your backup drive. Install itunes on your new computer. Drop files from backup drive into your new itunes music folder. If they don't show in itunes music then add folder through itunes menu (file-add folder). Once you're logged in under your itunes account all previous purchases will work.