computer advice

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wondering if anyone out there can provide a little guidance on what to look for in a new desktop computer for home use. Specifically, what kind of "guts" should we request? Here's our situation:

- we have two kids: ages 11 and 9; they are not "gamers" and mainly use the computer for homework assignments (writing reports in Word, researching things on the web, sometimes doing web-based homework), email, a little picture sorting and reviewing - pretty basic stuff in my mind. I suppose if we get a nicer computer they might fire up the occasional game, maybe do a little picture/video editing but generally speaking there's not much of that taking place today.

- wife and I primarily use our 5 year old Dell desktop for email and surfing the web. I also use it to download pictures from our camera, and then edit them once on the computer. Our current computer runs unGodly slow when working on pictures; it runs (just) very slow all other times.

- we may also want to burn the occasional cd

- After having a technician come out and clean out old Dell, decompress it, wine it and dine it...it still runs very slowly. I'm beyond trying to figure out how to get this one to do more, I want to fire up a new one with extra horsepower.

- we have two computers in our house; one upstairs mainly for the kids. It's a two year old Mac. The kids like it fine enough for their basic use but since I grew up with Windows-based systems I really struggle to understand how the Mac operates. Everyone keeps telling me how simple it is, but I don't find it simple. Heck, the fact the Mac mouse only has ONE button vs. TWO throws my mind for a loop. I don't want another Mac in my house and the kids and wife aren't clamoring for another one either.

- our budget is <$1,500 for a desktop and monitor. We could live with our 15" monitor but I'd like to get something bigger.

- I understand Windows 7 comes out 10/22 and we'll probably wait till then to buy a computer loaded with it. After reading about how much work goes into loading a new O/S on a computer, I'm not really up for it.

So I know we need a basic desktop, but I'm willing to pay a little more for one with some "oomph" so a) we don't have to wait forever for it to start-up, and b) it will run fast even though we've got a couple things open or I'm working with photos, and c) it will still have enough horsepower to run strong in 2-3 year.

The problem is that I don't know exactly WHAT to request in a computer. It seems like my options are to either go on Dell.com and try and fall into one of their cute-sy consumer "buckets" and buy a packaged machine where they describe features that fly right over my head...or walk into a big box place where the kid talks in lingo that makes me feel I need a translator. Can anyone tell me - in layman terms - what I need in a computer, and what each "thing" will do for me?

Thanks!

BeeLiner*87

Cadet
Re: computer advice

I was in the same 'boat' as you around Xmas time. its just me and the Mrs but she has a new grandson. I had no where near as much in the budget but I did get a nice computer to replace our aging dino...
the key thing imo is internal RAM...minimum 3-4 gigs. Hard drives generally run 160 gig and up depending on $$. i got us a Compaq(what we had b4) for $300. existing monitor was $300(19-20" LCD by Samsung) It came with Vista(no probs for me).
We mainly surf web and upload picd of the baby so we will have to get more memory soon. Terabyte external HD will only run $100 or so and can hold some 200K pics!!!! Of course now the 3 terabytes are out I beleive...CRAZY!!

It would seem to me that you have more than enough in your budget for surfing and pics...

If you have access to Best Buy, they are the best for matching you up. I never did like DELL and would never order one...

Any computer can be made better as long as its not too old...kinda like people...LOL!!

Hope this helps...

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

First off you don't need to spend $1500 for a great computer that will do all you want and more. Based on what you say you need it for and allowing for your kids, who will probably want to play more games in the next couple years, you should be looking anywhere from $600 to $1100 with monitor.

What do you need:

1. Hard drive: Bigger is better and hard drives are cheap these days. Get 1 TB (thats terabyte) or 750MB will be a bit cheaper. Get one that is SATA and 7200RPM.

2. CPU: This is the muscle in your computer. Stick with Intel and go with a "Core 2 Quad" processor. This is not the "Top of the line" but is plenty powerfull and is the best bang for you buck these days.

3. RAM: 4GB is plenty for now. 8GB is overkill for your uses but more is better and if it doesn't make much difference then go for it.

4. Video Card: This is most important for gaming and video editing. Most onboard video cards will be good enough. You can always add a high end video card later if your kids get into gaming.

Try best buy and look for a package deal that includes a monitor. You should be very happy with what you can get for <$1000.

Here is a link to a computer at best buy that will be more than enough "oomf". This example is at the top end of what you need for a desktop.
(monitor isn't included in this price)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9387763&type=product&id=1218097477400

i386

Captain

Being that you don't need a PC for gaming it makes finding one a lot simpler. Just about any "home" PC you find will fit the bill. What you want to do is get the most for your money. You will always pay a premium for the fastest processor available. I tend to buy the next fastest one. You want at least 3GB of RAM to run the latest MS operating systems well. More than 4GB is probably overkill. Having adequate memory is more important than having the fastest processor. 17-19" LCD monitor are pretty affordable these days. A 7200 or 10000RPM SATA hard drive will do fine. If you don't require fancy speakers with a subwoofer, consider getting a monitor with built in speakers. Speakers add clutter to your desk and a mess of wires.

If it tends to get hot where your computer lives, don't get a "slim" computer. Otherwise, I think they are ok.

As a person who works on computers, I like Dell, HP, and Compaq because parts will be available for them a few years from now. It's very easy to get parts. It's also easy to get drivers and other updates. Of the 3 I mentioned, I like Dell the most because they don't pre-load the computer with as much junk software.

I'd like to give Acer an honourable mention. They ship a very clean machine, but hardware support isn't quite as good.

Something else that often gets overlooked is a way to back up your system. I recommend a 350GB+ USB external hard drive AND Acronis True Image software.
Once your new computer is set up to your liking, back up the entire hard drive onto the external drive. From then on, just back up your data regularly. You may never need to pay anyone to work on your computer again if you do this. Make sure you use a good surge suppressor. Keep the backup drive unplugged when not in use.

If you're planning on purchasing MS Office, make sure it comes with the computer. If you buy it in the retail box it will cost more. I use Open Office.

When I setup a new PC for a customer, I generally follow this process...

1. Uninstall any junk software.
2. Uninstall whatever bloated antivirus software that came with it and install AVG or AVast.
3. Download any available updates.
4. Install CCleaner and clean the system.
5. Install Defraggler and defrag the hard drive. It will be very fragmented after uninstalling all the junk.
6. Perform a full-system backup with a disk imaging utility like Acronis.

Good luck and enjoy your new computer.:)

matt 57

Seaman Apprentice

I'd stick with dell. Go to their web site, take your time and build your own system. I personally hate hp for a lot of crap they preinstall. I always remove almost everything for my customers from new hp's.
I wouldn't think of parts the way you think of boat parts. It's unlikely that you gonna need any unless upgrading later.

gonefishie

Commander

Here you go. Don't let anyone tells you emachine is crap. A wireless mouse and/or keyboard would makes a nice addition. It has 2GB DDR2 but you wouldn't need it and can be upgrades to 4GB if you ever think it's not enough. The whole set comes in under $600, you can get two and still be under budget. I have to admit the monitor is a little overkill but damn it looks nice.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4914963&Sku=S445-10034

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3877465&Sku=S445-D24001

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

Do you want to piece together your own (system integration) or buy a pre-built? Most of the prior answers assume that you are going pre-built, I'm just checking this assumption.

One of the benefits of building your own is that you can upgrade it piece by piece (to a point) if you want. With a pre-built - often times you won't be able to do that (often times flexibility is removed to reduce costs..)

I've found that if you piece your own together, you will probably spend more money than if you get a pre-built, but will end up with a more robust system.

All that aside: It sounds to me that you might get more bang for your buck if you focus your system on it's storage (hard drive/dvd/cd) system, and graphics, rather than on it's CPU.

For what you have mentioned that you do - word processing, picture editing, email - these are NOT CPU intense activites. (Unless your picture editing involves converting formats). You will see better performance improvement if you go with a faster hard drive - since much of your work time is probably spent waiting for things to save/load (to the drives). Since you are looking at pictures, you want a pretty good graphics card and monitor combination.

Put some extra memory in as well - especially if you open multiple pictures up, or want to keep several applications open at a time (even if not actively using them).

Your choice in monitor is pretty flexible as well.. You don't have to worry so much about fast changing 'scenery' (as in games), so don't have the need for LCDs that can handle that.

Windows 7 will have some requirements that you should make sure your new computer can satisfy - better yet, exceed.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

I've always purchased new systems one level down from state of the art. Got the most bang for my buck that way. Like you, I'm not a gamer and don't need the absolute state of the art.

And once you DO make a purchase... do NOT look back! That is, don't go looking at ads a month, two months or three months from now. You'll just drive yourself crazy. What you buy today is ALREADY obsolete, because companies are working on stuff that's in the sales pipeline and will be better, faster and cheaper than what you purchase now.

Good luck!

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd stick with dell.

I'm comfortable with Dell, but I recall hearing that their customer service has declined in the last few years. Does that sound right? I'm ok deleting pre-installed programs if necessary, but I'd like to go with a company that will take my calls should I have a problem, and not give me much hassle if/when it comes time to servicing my computer. If that's not Dell, then which company?

It's unlikely that you gonna need any unless upgrading later.

True. I think I added something to our current Dell desktop several years ago, but I can't recall what it was. I would prefer to just buy a pre-built computer w/as much "stuff" as we need - plus a little extra for future needs, and then just call it a day. I get a little nervous when I open up a computer...that's not the world I live in.

Here you go. Don't let anyone tells you emachine is crap.

I will admit, a couple folks told me to avoid emachines. Why? Are their components different from other manufacturers? How is their service/warranty compared to other well-known name brands? Also, I'm not sure I want a refurbished computer. I really want a hassle-free device. In the past I've learned that I usually get what I pay for. Sitting on the phone for three hours - or three days - with a computer company trying to resolve a problem is not something I look forward to doing; I'd rather pay now to buy a little peace of mind. Cost is not a big issue in the equation.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Personally I will never buy another Desktop PC. I picked up an HP Laptop this summer for $600.00 out the door it has a 17" screen, 500 Gig hard drive ( I'll never fill it ) 4 Gigs of ram a dvd burner with Light scribe ( allows you to burn a dvd and label it right in the drive) it has the quickest Dual core AMD processor you can get in a computor right now and has been a fantastic machine so far . We have 2 Desktops and 4 Laptops in the house now and as far as I am concerned as the desktops die I will replace them with Laptops .I will be able to upgrade to 7 when it comes out for free as well.

Rick

gonefishie

Commander

I will admit, a couple folks told me to avoid emachines. Why? Are their components different from other manufacturers? How is their service/warranty compared to other well-known name brands? Also, I'm not sure I want a refurbished computer. I really want a hassle-free device. In the past I've learned that I usually get what I pay for. Sitting on the phone for three hours - or three days - with a computer company trying to resolve a problem is not something I look forward to doing; I'd rather pay now to buy a little peace of mind. Cost is not a big issue in the equation.

That's a legacy from their early days. It doesn't matter how expensive it is, if you abuse it, it will breaks. If you take care of it, a cheapo can last a long time. Emachines is part of Acer now, third largest pc company so they should stand behind their products. Tigerdirect is very good on their refurbished stuffs. Call them and ask about their policy.

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personally I will never buy another Desktop PC.

We've kicked that idea around. I bring my work laptop home almost every night and that seems to be the popular choice when the others need to check something quick. I was leaning towards the desktop for a few reasons:

1) Cost; even though laptops have come down in price it seems like desktops still give you a little more bang for the buck

2) Repairs; I'm told that it's much more costly to repair a laptop than a desktop.

3) Damage; I have a well-intentioned but active and sometimes inattentive nine year old boy, in addition to our 11 year old daughter. I'm not sure how long the laptop would last between walking up stairs, dropping things on hardwood floors, spilling drinks, etc. I love the kid to death!...but I'm thinking it might be cheaper (damage/repair-wise) to stick with a desktop for another three years or so.

matt 57

Seaman Apprentice

I'm comfortable with Dell, but I recall hearing that their customer service has declined

Not that bad comparing to others. But any one should understand the issue very well before calling customer service, otherwise it's waste of time.
Have a trusted local guy (not Geek Squad) to set it up and tune to your needs and any machine will do the job just fine.

I still have in my shop the 12 yrs old unbranded machine with 500 MHz processor and 512MB RAM. It has just necessary software installed and runs faster than any overloaded newer pc. I keep it to show my customers how fast the properly tuned up machine can be.
Don't let the pc manage you. Tell it to do what you need. This is computers for.

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok guys, I went on Dell.com and built a custom desktop to see what it would cost. I still plan on waiting till 10/22 to review Windows 7 machines in retail stores and online, but I thought I'd get a feel for current costs. The price for this machine was $1,368 w/out shipping or tax. Thoughts...changes?

- PROCESSOR: Intel? Core? 2 Quad Q8300 (4MB L2, 2.5GHz, 1333FSB)

- O/S: Genuine Windows Vista? Home Premium Edit. SP1, 64-Bit

- OFFICE SOFTWARE: Microsoft? Works 9

- WARRANTY & SERVICE: 4Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis

- SECURITY SOFTWARE: McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months (free)

- MONITOR: 22 inch SX2210 Widescreen Flat Panel with Webcam

- MEMORY: 8GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4DIMMs

- HARD DRIVE: 640GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache?

- OPTICAL DRIVE: 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

- VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB

- KEYBOARD & MOUSE: Dell Wireless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse

- WIRELESS: Dell 1505 Wireless-N PCIe Card (we have a wireless set up in the house and the modem, etc. is on the second floor; away from where this computer will be set up; our current desktop has wireless but I have some sort of USB-powered wireless antennae thing on it...suppose I can just use that and don't need this wireless card?)

- SPEAKERS: AY410 2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer

- DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP: Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year (free)

- SOUND: Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

- MODEM: No Modem Option

- Network Card: Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet

- REMOTE ACCESS: Dell Remote Access, free basic service

jt185

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get a new iMac and say goodbye to viruses and the windows ball and chain. You won't be sorry.

mscher

Lieutenant

"Worst Buy", is the last place I'd shop for a PC. Bait-and-switch usually ends up happening, as they are always out of the good sale priced computers, even on-line. They are out the same day the sale flyer comes out.

We have got the "best buys" on pc/notebooks from Staples and sometimes Office Max. They have some killer sales, especially for noteobooks. They always seem to have the models available. Last time we got free shipping as they did not have one in the store.

We scored some excellent notebooks for the kids - $325 at xmas.

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get a new iMac and say goodbye to viruses and the windows ball and chain. You won't be sorry.

Thanks, but check out my original comments on Mac. I'm fine with new stuff - have an ipod, latest cell/pda, bluetooth in the car, etc. - but for the life of me I just can't figure out the Mac. I'm sure if I grew up with one, or had a kid that loved it and could teach me, I'd feel better about it. But I'm starting to think it's a lost cause. Kids are ok w/it (they don't rave about it).

i386

Captain

Thoughts...changes?

I would call that a reasonably high-end system. It should easily exceed the expectations you mentioned eariler.

MS Works is ok as long as you understand what you're getting. If you want Office, it's best to buy it with the computer as it will cost less. 8GB of RAM is probably way more than you need. If that's what it comes with it's fine, but 4GB is plenty. So if you increased the price of the system by a couple hundred bumping it up to 8GB consider backing that off a bit. If you upgraded to the premium speakers w/subwoofer, do some price comparisons. You may spend less and get better speakers buying them separately.

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I just looked at the dell site. I'd get the second or third least expensive one off the small business site. I'd get a 22" screen, the wide screens aren't that tall and you don't really buy them to watch movies on. There's no reason to warranty a computer for 4 years. In that time it will be obsolete. Maybe two. I'd rather buy two $600 computers(one now, one in a year or two ) than one $1200 one today. You don't need a quad processor to browse the web.

Stuff like speakers from dell is like buying candy bars at the gas station. A new version of windows is like buying the first year of a new model of car. You volunteer to be a lab mouse.