Chaparral 2000 SL Sport floor, and more?? [SPLASHED Sept 2017]

Baylinerchuck

Commander
What a great looking boat, she really shines. One thing I noted was you said you found all 32 wobble rollers for only 3.99 a pop! Wow! How the heck did you manage that? And do the new ones you got leave marks on your hull? All the nonmarking kinds I was looking at were like $9-10 a piece. Crazy, I am also thinking of converting to bunks.. But I like the rollers

I need to replace all 32 of mine too :(

Thanks Brandon. I bought the rollers from the same place I buy a lot of trailer parts from. The exact description was that they were genuine EZ Loader wobble rollers with slight defects. The defects were described as minor and would not affect the performance of the roller. My rollers were absolutely trashed so I figured what the heck and bought them. Honestly, I could barely find any flaws in them. Most of what I discovered were small 1/16" voids in a few, and very slight color swirls in others. Some I found no blemishes at all. All have the EZ-Loader raised logo and honestly look great. I had to buy new hog rings, washers, and plastic bushings, but I saved a ton of money. The rollers are gray, and do not mark the hull. I don't know if its a good idea for me to post the name of the company since I think I'm already on the naughty list, and I don't want to be disrespectful to iBoats. I don't think they are in direct competition with iBoats but I don't want to take any chances. This forum is too important to me.

I also looked at doing bunks before I found the deal on the wobble rollers. I was looking for the brackets on-line to do the conversion and learned quickly that replacing the rollers was more economical, even at full price. I guess worst case I could have fabbed bunks, but like you I REALLY like rollers. I love that they center the boat perfectly every time with out those dumb looking white poles, LOL. Besides, my buddy has broken a couple winches trying to get his beast on the bunk trailer at our launch. I just laugh at him as I casually winch mine up. To each their own, but I like my rollers.

Brandon5778

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Brandon. I bought the rollers from the same place I buy a lot of trailer parts from. The exact description was that they were genuine EZ Loader wobble rollers with slight defects. The defects were described as minor and would not affect the performance of the roller. My rollers were absolutely trashed so I figured what the heck and bought them. Honestly, I could barely find any flaws in them. Most of what I discovered were small 1/16" voids in a few, and very slight color swirls in others. Some I found no blemishes at all. All have the EZ-Loader raised logo and honestly look great. I had to buy new hog rings, washers, and plastic bushings, but I saved a ton of money. The rollers are gray, and do not mark the hull. I don't know if its a good idea for me to post the name of the company since I think I'm already on the naughty list, and I don't want to be disrespectful to iBoats. I don't think they are in direct competition with iBoats but I don't want to take any chances. This forum is too important to me.

I also looked at doing bunks before I found the deal on the wobble rollers. I was looking for the brackets on-line to do the conversion and learned quickly that replacing the rollers was more economical, even at full price. I guess worst case I could have fabbed bunks, but like you I REALLY like rollers. I love that they center the boat perfectly every time with out those dumb looking white poles, LOL. Besides, my buddy has broken a couple winches trying to get his beast on the bunk trailer at our launch. I just laugh at him as I casually winch mine up. To each their own, but I like my rollers.

Interesting to know. I may wait for my birthday and ask for some financial help from my folks in getting some new ones :)

My dad's boat I grew up on was a tandem axle one with bunks, now I can honestly say we never once had an issue with loading or unloading. I'm not sure why so many people have troubles, maybe we have different angled ramps here lol. Anyway my trailer is a single axle and I can maneuver it so well it's crazy, and the rollers are pretty cool for loading, but on mine not so much better than bunks for unloading.
Reason is there is like 2 rollers where the bow rests by the winch.. Boat rests with the steel thing that the winch strap connects to in between the rollers, so as it comes down it gets stuck on the bottom roller, so I still have to bump off the boat like my dad's trailer. Oh well something to fix!

Good luck on the rest of the floor man

Last edited:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Sounds like you need to lower the winch post a tad, or depending on the spread of the rollers, raise it some so the hook ring is below the lower roller. Like you said, something to adjust.
Thanks and check back from time to time. I try to post often.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
No Title

Got the last of the transom plywood out tonight just in time for the trash man in the am. Cleaned up a little bit too. I forgot about one small piece of plywood the ladder is attached to. The boarding ladder in this boat is under the swim platform area. Once again silicon was used to seal these screws. I actually saw water seeping from this area this past summer. Anyone using silicon on a boat needs to be smacked....just sayin'.
The fiberglass at the keyhole is 3/8" thick the whole way around. Good news, no irregularities means the layup should be straight forward.

Attachments

• photo256274.jpg
    photo256274.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 23
  • photo256275.jpg
    photo256275.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 23

79_banshee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow man you are moving on this thing. Good for you. Haven't checked in for a bit and now I had 2 and a half pages to read through. Wish I could just get my grinding done so I could feel like I'm half way to being done. Although I know there's still a ton of work ahead of me. Been -25c to -35c with the wind up here and not much fun to work in never the less do fun stuff like grinding lol. Have a good one and I'll try to check in a little more often

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Wow man you are moving on this thing. Good for you. Haven't checked in for a bit and now I had 2 and a half pages to read through. Wish I could just get my grinding done so I could feel like I'm half way to being done. Although I know there's still a ton of work ahead of me. Been -25c to -35c with the wind up here and not much fun to work in never the less do fun stuff like grinding lol. Have a good one and I'll try to check in a little more often

If my temps were like that I would be perched on top of my pellet stove in hibernation. Ugh.....I don't know how you do it. I hate the cold. My goal is to move further south eventually. Lol.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
No Title

Well I got the last piece of rotted wood out. The ladder was suspended from the bottom of the swim deck on the port side. It was through bolted with 1/4-20 SS screws. Found nothing sealing the holes but silicon. This boat has not been in the water since October, and its still soaked. More proof that once glass encapsulated wood gets wet, it will never dry out.

Attachments

• photo256347.jpg
    photo256347.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 17
  • photo256348.jpg
    photo256348.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 17
  • photo256349.jpg
    photo256349.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 16
  • photo256350.jpg
    photo256350.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 15
  • photo256353.jpg
    photo256353.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 17

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I got the last piece of rotted wood out. The ladder was suspended from the bottom of the swim deck on the port side. It was through bolted with 1/4-20 SS screws. Found nothing sealing the holes but silicon. This boat has not been in the water since October, and its still soaked. More proof that once glass encapsulated wood gets wet, it will never dry out.

Congrats! Its gonna be one hell of a boat!

Im waiting for your grinding pics. Im still waiting for some items before Im ready for grinding. First time in my life Im happy its not summer because I have to finish this project first lol.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
No Title

Went to HD and got a couple of sheets of 3/4" BC plywood, Loctite PL, and some 2x4s for clamps. I want to get the transom ready for when I finally get some resin here.
I pulled the boat outa the garage and started a little grinding. I spent most of my time using the Metabo to cut tabbing and some imperfections in the bow. That tabbing is 1/2" thick in some places with lots of fiberglass that was not fully bedded. I started grinding with a 4-1/2" angle grinder and an abrasive disk. I may have to borrow my buddy's DA.....this is slow going.
On the bright less itchy side, having the boat out of the garage gave me a chance to use a leaf blower to blow the dust out of it, lol. It was getting s little out of control in there!!!😕 Garage is now less dusty. Unlike the back of my head.....I should have gotten a tyvek suit with a hood.

Attachments

• photo256386.jpg
    photo256386.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 18
  • photo256387.jpg
    photo256387.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 19
  • photo256388.jpg
    photo256388.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 18
  • photo256389.jpg
    photo256389.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 18
  • photo256390.jpg
    photo256390.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 17
  • photo256391.jpg
    photo256391.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 16

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Personally, titebond 3 for the transom laminate, and home made pb to bed/fillet everything, bugger the pl glue that needs to outgass 3 days before u can keep working...

Great progress btw!!

Baylinerchuck

Commander
No Title

Personally, titebond 3 for the transom laminate, and home made pb to bed/fillet everything, bugger the pl glue that needs to outgass 3 days before u can keep working...

Great progress btw!!

Thanks Dan!! I have time for it to cure fully. I won't get resin until after Christmas. The plan is to use PB to bed and fillet.

Attachments

• photo256418.JPG
    photo256418.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 1

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I used pl premium but then I wasn't going to be doing anything on transom for a few days anyways, I had planned it out that while that was gassing off I worked on stringers , I like pl because its polyurethane and after its cured its done its plastic my whole boat has pl premium in joints and what not but I also backed it up with screws in some places as well just because I felt more secure my boat held up to 100 mile winds during hurricane with winds hitting stern so it could have easily ripped the top off but didn't so I feel secure in my construction.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Got my grind on today got most of the bow done. It was slow go as the tabbing was so stinking thick. There was a lot of hair that wasn't encapsulated in resin. What good is 3/4" thick fiberglass and roving if it's not bedded?? Answer? It ain't. Makes a ton of dust though.
I also found that the keel has a piece of wood running through it. Some of the roving wasn't bedded, so there were gaps water could enter. Guess what....yup it's wet. So just when I thought I was done cutting, I have another piece of wood to remove.
Shout out to Harbor Freight. Their 4-1/2" flap disks are awesome. One disk did the entire bow, and it still has plenty of life. Most impressive!!

Last edited:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
No Title

Crap-forgot all my pictures, lol. Binge and purge.

Attachments

• photo256453.jpg
    photo256453.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 18
  • photo256456.JPG
    photo256456.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 21
  • photo256457.jpg
    photo256457.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 22
  • photo256459.jpg
    photo256459.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 21
  • photo256460.jpg
    photo256460.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 17
  • photo256461.jpg
    photo256461.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 17

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I saw one of these boats on craigslist I bet yours will be awesome when it it is finished!
you sure that's wood ? was it for bow eye? mine had that mess in front it was all just where they left a bunch of filler glass that never got resin I tore on that awhile.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I saw one of these boats on craigslist I bet yours will be awesome when it it is finished!
you sure that's wood ? was it for bow eye? mine had that mess in front it was all just where they left a bunch of filler glass that never got resin I tore on that awhile.

Thanks Micky. Yeah I had that whole filler glass thing too. Also have a mess to fix at the bow hook. I was thinking the nuts and plate to the bow hook were pulling through the glass. Nope. Just crushing wet wood so it looked like it was pulling through fiberglass. Its definitely wood. I saw the grain and dug at it with a knife. I'll start cutting it out this week.