Carver owners....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul66

Cadet
Re: Carver owners....

Well Finally heard the ole gal run and did an 8 mile trip today, other than a blown fuse she did great :)
I just bought this one says 1980 on registration but the Hull number has a -81 not sure but think it's a Santa Cruz ad said 30' Registration says 29'
Has twin 305's any help with into would be great :)
IMG_1577.jpg

carver 36

Cadet

NEW TO THE FORUM SO PLEASE EXCUSE ANY MISTAKES IN PROTOCOL. I have owned a Carver 36 aft cabin for just over a year. It has twin 9-0 Liter International Harvesters and is a 1984. It also has a 8 KW Onan generator. Been quite a learning curve so it would be nice to make contact with anyone with a similar boat that may have gone thru some of the problems encountered on a older boat. All in all, happy with the boat, but having some issues locating parts and such. Thanks in advance for any information and Hello to all. PS keeping the boat, and living aboard part time in SE Florida.

sasto

Captain

NEW TO THE FORUM SO PLEASE EXCUSE ANY MISTAKES IN PROTOCOL..

Welcome to iboats, carver 36........Something tells me I can see your boat from where I'm sitting. ;) Is that you?

fatboy308

Cadet

hi i bought a 1984 26' carver monterey i noticed under the deck portside at i guess the bulkhead the fiberglass wall ( very thin 1/8" with no plywood on inside) it is separated from the bottom hull from the out side rib to the side & up 1/2 way is this a load bearing structure or is this just to keep fumes out of the cabin??? it is fiberglassed in only on the stern side & not very much mabe 1" i need to know if i need a total rebuild for stucture or i can just smoo it to seal it up????? anyone please help mark

Carver2767

Recruit

1990 Carver Santego 2767, we just bought in October of last year. We can't wait for summer...

photo (1).jpg

merrimac

Recruit

Hi all,
New to the forum. Just purchased an 88' 3607 Carver Aft Cabin. Stored it at a marina on the Illinois River.Will be motoring it home(Catawba,Ohio) in July. Can't wait. Going up the eastern coast of Wisconsin thru Door County then over to Beaver Island & Charlavoix area. From there thru the North Channel and down to Tobermoray into Lake Huron thru Lake St. Clair and the Detroit River to Catawba area.
Any sugestions on sights and dockage/moorings?

glpowercruiser

Recruit

Hi all,
New to the forum. Just purchased an 88' 3607 Carver Aft Cabin. Stored it at a marina on the Illinois River.Will be motoring it home(Catawba,Ohio) in July. Can't wait. Going up the eastern coast of Wisconsin thru Door County then over to Beaver Island & Charlavoix area. From there thru the North Channel and down to Tobermoray into Lake Huron thru Lake St. Clair and the Detroit River to Catawba area.
Any sugestions on sights and dockage/moorings?

Welcome to the world of Carver. I'm sure you will enjoy your 3607, a great boat! We have a 3207 and love it.
A lot of this depends on how much time you have: will you be on the forced march, a leisurly cruise, or something in between? I moved my boat from Saugatuck, MI to Lake St. Clair in 2010 and it was a bit too much of a forced march. For some silly reason, my crew wanted to get back to his boat, so we moved as quickly as weather would allow. Of course, a lot depends on how much cruising experience and how much education you have. I have to say we were tired when we got to Port Huron, where we had a crew change. I wish I had spent more time to see more sites and do a better job of recording the trip.

I haven't done the west coast of Lake Michigan, but have been up and down the full length of the eastern shore 3 plus times. There are great ports of call on the Michigan side as I'm sure there are on the Wisconsin side. As you'll be hitting Michigan at the northern end, Traverse City might be out of the way, but great ports in your range are Leland, Charlevoix, and Petosky, then Mackinaw City. Each of these are great stays with great towns, great eating, and a good rest from a push. From then on, you might look into the Great Lakes Cruising Club to get the best info for cruising in Canadian Waters. They have a huge member cruise database, including the best anchorages in the North Channel area. Charlevoix and Leland have the newest marina facilities and are really super!! I haven't done the east Lake Huron Shore in many decades, so I'm no help there, but Tobermory is a must stop. As this is the 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812, you can find some interesting commemorative events in Detroit and elsewhere. About the closest marina to Downtown Detroit is Keans, a nice, full service marina with its own restaurant/bar and a shuttle to take you anywhere - a Tigers game might be fun.

Up-to-date charts and chartplotter software are essential, but as I'm a member of the United States Power Squadrons, that is just how I do it. NOAA had a great new chart offering that allows you to print your own color charts in sections of 8 1/2 x 11 from http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/BookletChart.html, which are the most up-to-date you can get - and they are FREE!! These can supplement your paper charts or your Richardsons Chart Books, if they are not the most current. That in itself can save some cash. One nice thing is that while you select a whole chart, you can print only the pages you need.

Also depending on your experience, the Power Squadron offers a great class in "Cruise Planning". You can check at www.usps.org. The Power Squadron and Great Lakes Cruising Club have a "Port Captain" program to their members that provide local information and help if needed. www.usps.org will define the offered classes, including Cruise Planning.

Make sure all of your safety equipment is up to date (of course) as the Coast Guard is known to board boats. They have a habit of separating the crew from the Skipper and will ask the same questions: "where are the life jackets, the flares, MOBs, fire extinguishers, the oil and trash placards, so make sure you educate your crew so they are comfortable answering these questions. Of course, if you are experienced, you know all this stuff and I apologize for bringing it up. We Power Squadron cruisers just can't help ourselves - teaching all the time. In any case, I hope I?ve helped.
You are about to begin a super adventure!! I know you will enjoy it. Keep us posted.
Ron
Other great cruising resources:
https://activecaptain.com/
http://www.waterwayguide.com/

merrimac

Recruit

Couldn't help but notice that you are from Seneca IL. Our boat is at Spring Brook Marina.But we can't get in the water until June 12th since we can't get up there before that date.

Felipejose

Recruit

I store my boat at Spring Brook too, Love the new Maddies Place.Need anything Let me know

Yet2sail

Recruit

Bout to pick up a 280 sedan up in superior, wi. First cruiser style boat and were pretty excited. Not sure what were going to do first but probably short one day things to get use to the boat. Hope it passes a survey on the 7th.

Terry

kparn0825

Recruit

Hi to all you Carver owners!! We just put a deposit on a '91 26 ft Carver Command Bridge and hope to get it surveyed this week. Then we too will be a Carver owner!! Yea! We will be keeping the boat at a marina on the northeast side of Cayuga Lake -- one of the Finger Lakes in upstate NY. So excited. We are glad there is a place where other Carver owners meet. Will check back in frequently. Karen and Mike :)

Yet2sail

Recruit

The 91 command bridge is essentially the same as a 280 sedan. I did pick up a 94 280 sedan which has twin 4.3 alpha 1's. We are trailering it for now but may end up at a marina at some point. Only had it out once so far and took it on a trip up to Kenosha wi. Ran pretty good but we are making a list of things that need to be addressed. Starboard motor wouldn't get above 3000 rpm. Seems like a choke problem. Took on some water but don't know from where yet. I really like it and my wife loves it. She likes the big windows and the space. This is my first twin engine so both of us need a lot of practice. Anyways, hope to get some of the issues addressed and get her in the water some more. Terry

BoatingTimbo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm hoping to join your Carver club. We're looking at 1985 3227 convertible model. I sea trial in a couple days so we'll see!

Anything i should be looking closely at when on the sea trial?

What's the WOT on this boat with twin crusader 270's?

carver 3396

Recruit
yes it's the same carver boat

yes it's the same carver boat

i have a carver 3396 1984 mariner and i have redone the hole boat over new motors and cabin look however my air units give off a lot of water when they are running i mean alot any ideas ?IMG_0416.jpgIMG_0517.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.