Can you tell if gas is bad?

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I took my boat out last weekend. It's running poorly. We're looking at doing a carb rebuild.

Thing is, I bought this boat last October. I filled it up and put stabilizer in it, but I don't know what the gas was like before I got it.

I'd hate to do a carb rebuild and gum it up right away with poor gas. The obvious answer would be "do it, better safe than sorry", but the boat is 2 hours away and they said they don't really have a place to put 18 gallons of potentially old gas.

Anyway to take some out and test it so I'll know if that was the issue or not?

By looking at a carb can you tell if there was old gas in it? What does old gas do?

Thanks

jelli

Seaman
Re: Can you tell if gas is bad?

i just burn my old gas but i live in the country thing i would do is get the old gas out put a little new gas in and see how it runs

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I took my boat out last weekend. It's running poorly. We're looking at doing a carb rebuild.

Thing is, I bought this boat last October. I filled it up and put stabilizer in it, but I don't know what the gas was like before I got it.

I'd hate to do a carb rebuild and gum it up right away with poor gas. The obvious answer would be "do it, better safe than sorry", but the boat is 2 hours away and they said they don't really have a place to put 18 gallons of potentially old gas.

Anyway to take some out and test it so I'll know if that was the issue or not?

By looking at a carb can you tell if there was old gas in it? What does old gas do?

Thanks

18 gallons is not that much. Get yourself 3, 6 gallon jerry cans and drain the tank into them. Use the "potentially" old gas in you lawn mower at home. Or use a few gallons at a time in your car/truck when you fill up.

paulspaddle

18 gallons is not that much. Get yourself 3, 6 gallon jerry cans and drain the tank into them. Use the "potentially" old gas in you lawn mower at home. Or use a few gallons at a time in your car/truck when you fill up.

I agree with your line of thought. The goofy part is I would have to pay for the shop to do it as the boat is two hours away I'm not going to make a round trip to do it.

Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, just not too keen spending 'shop fees' to sieve gas into multiple cans.

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

add 1 can of SeaFoam to your tank and run it!!!

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Well that's a tough call... I'd say to have them try runnning the motor off a portable tank if possible. See if it runs any better. Of course if they've already cleaned the carbs, it's going to run better regardless.

Maybe if they can run it off a remote tank for now, next time you head out to your boat, drain the gas yourself just to be safe.

Would be a good idea to change the fuel filter and install a water/fuel seperater as well.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if the tech at "the shop" can't tell you if your gas is stale with a quick sniff then it's time to take it to a different shop... If the gas is fresh enough that it doesn't smell like stale gas then it won't hurt your carb.... If you determine that it is runnable then run it nearly dry before filling up a couple times and you will have mostly fresh gas.

paulspaddle

if the tech at "the shop" can't tell you if your gas is stale with a quick sniff then it's time to take it to a different shop... If the gas is fresh enough that it doesn't smell like stale gas then it won't hurt your carb.... If you determine that it is runnable then run it nearly dry before filling up a couple times and you will have mostly fresh gas.

That's what I was wondering, if you could 'tell'.

I'll see what they say when the mechanic takes a look at it.

Thanks....

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Put some in a clear jar and look for water at the bottom and a dark orange color to the gas.The only sure cure is to throw the old gas out and a water separator

paulspaddle

Put some in a clear jar and look for water at the bottom and a dark orange color to the gas.The only sure cure is to throw the old gas out and a water separator

A water separator seems like good insurance.

Sea foam....someone else suggesting that to me a while back and I forgot to throw some in.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well paul, I can tell but I have been working on stuff that runs on gas for nearly 30 years..... Generally they say that old gas smells like turpentine.... I dunno I don't paint. To me old gas smells like old gas.... It's real tough to tell someone else what to look for especially if you have mixed fresh with it. The difference will be harder to tell.

As was suggested above if there is any doubt throw it out..... BUT don't burn it in your lawn mower or car or anything but a bonfire.... it just isn't worth the chance of plugging a catalytic converter or ruining an oxygen sensor or sticking a valve.... all of these can occur from running old gas

Generally the first place I find problems from running the old stuff in a boat is in the spark plugs... They tend to foul and the engine starts running really poorly.... often thhe owner has put a bunch of fresh gas in with some real old stuff and it can be a real puzzler..... I have pulled the plugs and found what I can only describe as a "clearcoat" on them..... They look hazy and almost like they have frost (like on the grass on a cold morning) on them

paulspaddle

well paul, I can tell but I have been working on stuff that runs on gas for nearly 30 years..... Generally they say that old gas smells like turpentine.... I dunno I don't paint. To me old gas smells like old gas.... It's real tough to tell someone else what to look for especially if you have mixed fresh with it. The difference will be harder to tell.

As was suggested above if there is any doubt throw it out..... BUT don't burn it in your lawn mower or car or anything but a bonfire.... it just isn't worth the chance of plugging a catalytic converter or ruining an oxygen sensor or sticking a valve.... all of these can occur from running old gas

Generally the first place I find problems from running the old stuff in a boat is in the spark plugs... They tend to foul and the engine starts running really poorly.... often thhe owner has put a bunch of fresh gas in with some real old stuff and it can be a real puzzler..... I have pulled the plugs and found what I can only describe as a "clearcoat" on them..... They look hazy and almost like they have frost (like on the grass on a cold morning) on them

I hear ya, I'm going to make arrangements to take it out just so we can take 'that part' out of the equation why the boat is running poorly.

Here is what the problem is.... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=397983

By the way, I just noticed your post count! I remember when you started on this forum. You had just bought the boat and were talking about trailers and weights and such....took a bunch of heat from some boys about the renegade tour-de-pic-up-boat trip.

Thanks for the input.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

one sniff and I know if it is bag gas....
;)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

By the way, I just noticed your post count! I remember when you started on this forum. You had just bought the boat and were talking about trailers and weights and such....took a bunch of heat from some boys about the renegade tour-de-pic-up-boat trip.

Thanks for the input.

No sweat man... Yeah I been doin a wee bit of posting huh?:cool:

Have you seen the wellcraft thread (in the restoration area now) lately? It's on the back burner for now but I got ALOT done and may be getting back on it soon.

Back on topic .... glad you are removing that fuel.. Wise choice... I'll check your other thread too

paulspaddle

No sweat man... Yeah I been doin a wee bit of posting huh?:cool:

Have you seen the wellcraft thread (in the restoration area now) lately? It's on the back burner for now but I got ALOT done and may be getting back on it soon.

Back on topic .... glad you are removing that fuel.. Wise choice... I'll check your other thread too

I just spent sometime reading through your thread....at the moment it looks like a Skargo show and tell. :D

Your progress is impressive...a little longer than originally anticipated? You wanna be on the water this summer?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Well actually it has been a little easier than expected with the exception of getting things like a water heater genny and a/c that I thought I'd have to wait on.... So while I haven't gotten it on the water yet I have done a bunch of stuff that I thought would have to wait a year or two, I alsoo decided to go through and replace anything that I thought would be likely to fail and would be harder to get to with engines in it like blowers, bilge pumps, hoses, through hulls, and any questionable wiring........ My goal at the time of starting the project was to get it roughly assembled and then switch to other projects..... With the title comming and the hot sun burning though I find myself drawn to get back on the boat and at least get it buttoned up enough for a maiden... that reminds me.... I need to make a small update on it..............

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

Pri-G does what you want Paul.

http://www.priproducts.com/marine_performance.cfm

You will have to order it from West Marine in Toronto;

WEST MARINE #03903
177 Lake Shore Blvd East
Toronto, ONM5A 1B7
416-203-2884

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategories1_11151_10001_-1

No local distributors I'm afraid neighbor, but this stuff does work as advertised. I've used it in industrial applications and it makes the fuel usable although I would plan on changing the fuel filter after you finish the tank.

Next time drain the tank and use the fuel for the drive home from the cottage.:cool:

paulspaddle

Pri-G does what you want Paul.

http://www.priproducts.com/marine_performance.cfm

You will have to order it from West Marine in Toronto;

WEST MARINE #03903
177 Lake Shore Blvd East
Toronto, ONM5A 1B7
416-203-2884

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategories1_11151_10001_-1

No local distributors I'm afraid neighbor, but this stuff does work as advertised. I've used it in industrial applications and it makes the fuel usable although I would plan on changing the fuel filter after you finish the tank.

Next time drain the tank and use the fuel for the drive home from the cottage.:cool:

Chuck....Holy cow, did our little deal fall off my radar or what!

Sorry, I'm not usually that sloppy with that sort of stuff. Things got a bit nutty for awhile all of a sudden and I got focused on 'life'. (ie...taking over full time care for mom, finishing university....ummm, paying the mortgage and daycare bills, renovations...yadda yadda)

I haven't heard of this stuff you linked to...interesting. This time round I think I'm going to remove the gas and start fresh.