Can it be done?...Adding a FULL / COMPLETE closed cooling system on a Volvo I/O

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Can it be done?...Adding a FULL / COMPLETE closed cooling system on a Volvo I/O

By porting do you mean adding the water connections for Full cooling? If so most replacements have ports for just about every possible use.

Try these people "http://www.ebasicpower.com/c/IND/Indmar%20Inboards"

You will need manifolds, spacers to install your fresh water inlets for the risers and of course block off plates between the manifolds and the spacers.

You can by elbows and pipe from West Marine and other places to get it hooked up.

Seen to have problems posting hope this goes through.

Thanks, but I'm asking about your application. As far as I know, if you go with aftermarket mans/risers that are ported and likely using a ported spacer, you will run into alignment issues with the Y pipe. There are other concerns that you will have that I will not, and I'm wondering just what you did or are going to do to make this work.

Thanks.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Can it be done?...Adding a FULL / COMPLETE closed cooling system on a Volvo I/O

A 7.4 merc cast pan has a bolt hole about half way down on the front for the Alt adjustment bracket.

A 7.4 merc cast pan has a bolt hole about half way down on the front for the Alt adjustment bracket.

Other problems with my installation are partly the age. The flap on the IO unit that prevents water from surging back up and into the motor can no longer be found.

The motor sits in the boat with the waterline about even with the exhaust manifold. The y pipe fills up with water giving only 6 to 8 inch's before it goes over the riser and into the motor with engine off. I some what question the flap stopping everything if the boat gets hit hard in back with a wave. Mercury added a second set of internal flaps as an added measure since they were having a run on broken motors. I am doing the same.

It's an offshore boat and I will be doing a lot of fishing. If I hook up with something big I may be backing into a heavy sea following said fish. Water can even be rammed up the exhaust of a running engine, and a pressurized exhaust can cause reversion on any motor.

The original idea was that the Indmar style risers worked on common Mercury type center riser manifolds. The original 70's manifold was a very restrictive all in one, with no separate riser. Just replacing it added at lest 15 hp. The Indmar risers placed the exit dead in line with the original old style in a better package. only an elbow and a straight 3 inch extension was needed to meet the y pipe.

The AQ 270 Io unit is tough but very exhaust restrictive with everything necking down to not much more than a 2 1/2 inch hole. The y pipe in general was badly corroded adding to the problems. It's now eliminated with two water lift mufflers. 3 1/2 inch in and 3 1/2 out, two internal check valves then out the transom avoiding and eliminating the y pipe. the result is low restriction and quiet. Not like a straight out the transom exhaust. Sounds kind of like if Harley Davidson made a smooth running V8.

I am re-engineering the setup now for easy removal and to help engine maintenance. At the same time converting to full cooling. The system is bulky, would not fit under a common engine cover but I have one engine and enough room for two so size is not a concern.

Just looked up Contessa found some pictures of your engine bay. My Boat is little brother to yours, only 24 feet.

The picture I see is a 350 in a Contessa and it is using a center riser Mercury style manifold rubber exhaust connection straight back to the Y pipe and the Y has a turn down from its connection. Mine has no turn and would have required a 45 degree elbow with Indmar exhaust risers. With the riser that motor is using an extension would probably be needed but no real problem. And his Y looks much bigger than mine, probably 4 inch.

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am getting my engine on Monday (hopefully) with the FULL system and will install shortly thereafter... I'll post pics.

It ended up being quite an ordeal, but luckily I have a friend who knew exactly what I wanted and was able to walk the shop through it.

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Engine has arrived and has been installed!

I'm still waiting on my mufflers so I can't start her up just yet. I can't wait to get her fired up and broken in.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Where are those pictures ??????

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMG_0739.jpgIMG_0740.jpgIMG_0741.jpgHere are a couple from when it was shipped. I don't have any of the install shots yet.

This ended up being a huge undertaking and a lot more complicated than I expected. I dealt with Michigan Motorz, who were amazing throughout the entire process, but all the credit goes to a friend of mine (who I met through another online discussion forum). He knows Volvo's inside and out and is very creative in this regard. He spend a fair amount of time explaining and helping out the guys put this package together.

Some of the issues were:

Finding the proper alt bracket to get that alt where it is now. On the 7.4 it is mounted higher, like OMC
Determining the proper cooling kit to use - this is the merc kit designed for a full system
Finding mans/risers/spacers that would work - I went with Barr who were also great to deal with
There were some wiring issues but that was taken care of between MM and my friend

I'm still waiting for some exhaust system parts so I can't fire it up yet, and that's killing me! :)

One of the issues was dealing with the various distributors, since not many were willing to "think outside the box" and work on putting this package together. What I've essentially done is create a hybrid motor using Merc and Volvo designed components.

I'll post some more detailed pics of the install if anyone is interested, once I get them.

Thanks to you guys here for the input as well. I talked to a lot of people throughout this project and every bit of information was useful.

IMG_0736.jpg

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oops

Last edited:

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, here she is all tucked away... I'm still waiting for my fiberglass mufflers but other than that, I think I'm ready to go.

I took some more pics on my phone but they came out blurry.

IMG_0751.jpg

Leon1914

Cadet

onegreatsteak, the big problem he is having is it being a 7.4.
A 5.7 wouldn't be a big deal, as there is lots of full system Merc 5.7's and lots of choices on manifolds and systems.

What will work on your 5.7, will not work on his 7.4.

Don S. and others, what are my options on 2007 VP 5.0L GXi-G to get full closed cooling. I have power steering and outdrive is duo-prop. The hot water heater also gets it heat from block when not on ac power. I want to buy the right parts and ride this rodeo once.

Miller%27s%20Boat%20018.JPG

Miller%27s%20Boat%20019.JPG

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don S. and others, what are my options on 2007 VP 5.0L GXi-G to get full closed cooling. I have power steering and outdrive is duo-prop. The hot water heater also gets it heat from block when not on ac power. I want to buy the right parts and ride this rodeo once.

Don will not be answering your question. RIP

Please do no post in topics older than 90 days and are inactive. Start a new topic after looking at the Help Tip on top of the page.

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Definitely start a new thread and you could always link this one as a reference.

Your first concern will be Y pipe alignment but we can discuss that in the new thread.

Leon1914

Cadet
Don will not be answering your question. RIP

Please do no post in topics older than 90 days and are inactive. Start a new topic after looking at the Help Tip on top of the page.

Thanks for the info, I will create a new topic.

Leon1914

Cadet
Definitely start a new thread and you could always link this one as a reference.

Your first concern will be Y pipe alignment but we can discuss that in the new thread.

I am creating a new topic under "Non-Repair and Inboards", pictures will be attached.