Can it be done?...Adding a FULL / COMPLETE closed cooling system on a Volvo I/O

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can it be done?...Adding a FULL / COMPLETE closed cooling system on a Volvo I/O

Ok, you have an NC model (96 model engine) not a 97 that would make it a LK model when going by the model number, but the serial number comes up as a 7.4GLIHUB. which is a 95 model.

I also see this was originally an inboard engine, not an IO. The only picture of that tensioner is a very small drawing in the inboard mounting components. Not sure what it does. On an IO engine, that would have been the power steering pump. Do you have power steering?

Inboard Mounting Components 7.4GIINCCCE, 7.4GIINCSCE, 7.4GLINCC, 7.4GLINCS, 7.4GSIINCC, 7.4GSIINCS - 7797250 - Volvo Penta

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Can it be done?...Adding a FULL / COMPLETE closed cooling system on a Volvo I/O

I do not have power steering, but as I see it, it tensions the belt between the crank and circulating pump - as memory serves. I'm thinking with the alternator lower as it is on the SBC, that it would become the tensioner for this belt by sharing it. No?

That aside, I'm buying a new long block so would the specifics of my current motor matter that much? Isn't it more a concern of what the replacement motor could handle as far as mounting a large enough heat exchanger to accommodate a full cooling system?

Don S

The model in this case doesn't affect the long block, but if you go looking for raw water pump parts, kits, ignition, carb and other Volvo parts for that engine, you will be happy to know what the real model number is, since Volvo doesn't list anything by year.

I do not have power steering, but as I see it, it tensions the belt between the crank and circulating pump - as memory serves. I'm thinking with the alternator lower as it is on the SBC, that it would become the tensioner for this belt by sharing it. No?

Yes, it should. The reason for the tensioner is probably the fact that the alternator being so near being inline with the circ pump and the crank pulley that the circ pump might not turn as it should. With the alternator down low in place of the tensioner the alternator should do the job just fine.
You could probably put a dual pulley on the alternator and have 2 belts if you wanted. No real need to, just a possibility.

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good points.

Thanks.

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess this is what I'm basically looking to do. This is a photo of a Merc BBC but I think I could use the same Closed Cooling kit (MC334 or MC335) and set it up the same way, since we're really just talking about a BBC and not so much a Volvo in the true sense of the set up. I would just need to know what part number to use for the alt. bracket.

I'd also like to add the larger Johnson crankshaft mounted raw water pump and get rid of the belt driven one.

Don, you also mentioned using a dual pulley and two belts. Would that be a good idea for the sake of redundancy of belts, should one break?

89243F-f_1_-1.jpg

Don S

Try this kit, it's for an IO, not an inboard, and for the year of engine you have. May have different bolt holes on the block from older models.
SAN JUAN ENGINEERING MC311

I assume you have an IO, since it's an 85 Contessa. Never seen one with a straight inboard.

The pulley is up to you, no real need for two belts. Just more expense for nothing.

Don S

The power steering pump has nothing to do with the cooling system, other than belt location, and since you have a Volvo engine not Merc then the PS Pump means nothing. Look at the cooling system. The problem with all these silly numbers is you have no clue what is in each kit. THAT alone is what you need to know, not the number of the kit or how it looks on the Mercruiser engine.

Call SanJuan on the phone, they are super easy to deal with.

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I know what you mean. Why I mention the PS pump is because on that block the HE looks shorter because of it.

I know it's not related to the HE other than it might just get in the way of a larger unit.

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is anyone familiar with the OEM Volvo manifolds/elbows as compared to the Barr Universal set, and if my remote oil filter and main engine harness brackets will fit?

Don S

The aftermarket replacements are normally made so all that was bolted to the OEM manifolds and risers will work on the replacements.

Question is, can you get block off gaskets for those?

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's good news and yes, Barr makes the block off plates.

I could always have them fabricated too if I had to.

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is some diagrams that shows how Merc used the full system up to 97, they never used the full system on any of the big blocks after 97.

View attachment 181982

I'm still working on getting what I want, but this still has me curious. Does anyone know why Merc abandoned the full system?

I am doing the exact same thing on a 5.7 small block engine. Formally A Volvo Penta 260 Hooked to an AQ 270 drive. I plan on a lot of seawater exposure.

I have replaced the exhaust manifolds with Indmar style Osco manifolds. I am following the same Plumbing Diagran I saw in your Thread.

I have done research, and have found that many of the full cooling kits use the same cooling unit as the half units do. A few premium kits advertise that they use larger units.

The exhaust manifolds will add about 1/2 an engines worth of heat. The majority will still come from the combustion chambers and heads. The heat transfer at the high cylinder pressure after ignition " Compression ratio x 10 " is just about as good as steel to steel, and thats when the gas is the hottest. 1000 + higher than exiting the exhaust valve. If the steel was not backed by coolant it would melt real fast.

My present engine has a 1/2 cooling system and never goes over 120 even at full throttle "which needs to be fixed". The external cooling parts for my engine came from a donor engine. I just found the raw water pump has an impeller 1/2" longer than normal and that may be at least one difference for full cooling. The cooling unit is about 1/3 bigger than the original unit off the busted volvo formally in the boat.

I have asked the big boat shops here in Atlanta and found many don't know full cooling exists, they get that deer in the head lights look when questioned about parts. Full cooling is much more popular with the offshore seawater crowd.

A couple of months and I should have my modifications made and will find out how it works. I have not read all of this thread but if you still have trouble finding parts I will look up and post my links for you. I think I have most of it together.

Don S

onegreatsteak, the big problem he is having is it being a 7.4.
A 5.7 wouldn't be a big deal, as there is lots of full system Merc 5.7's and lots of choices on manifolds and systems.

What will work on your 5.7, will not work on his 7.4.

A 5.7 wouldn't be a big deal, as there is lots of full system Merc 5.7's and lots of choices on manifolds and systems.

Some of his parts will need to be larger of course and brackets etc will need to be different but water necks and other water fittings will crossover. Also where i got them.

Also as plan B I have a second cooling unit I can parallel or series to the first. It's a standup unit. I do have a small offshore cabin cruiser with one engine and enough room for two. So size to me does not necessarily matter.

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Exactly. My big problem was getting the alternator bracket that would allow me to put the alternator in the lower position, the way it is on the 5.7.

There have been some other obstacles but I think I've got it all worked out. I'll post back with results.

Exactly. My big problem was getting the alternator bracket that would allow me to put the alternator in the lower position, the way it is on the 5.7.

There have been some other obstacles but I think I've got it all worked out. I'll post back with results.

Check metal fabrication shops and Hot Rod shops. They do a lot of custom brackets. My 5.7 system is very simple and the brackets would be easy to duplicate with a Big vise , torch, drill and of course a magnum force adjusting tool. " hammer ". They will probably need access to the motor, or they may have a motor hanging around their shop.

Now I can't see your setup, but you possibly could drill and grind another plate to fit the forward two bolts on your exhaust manifold and have a 5,7 bracket welded to that. The lower slotted adjusting arm on mine is an automotive upper arm with a spacer welded too the bolt end.

Another possibility is use a side mounted vertical cooler and leave the alternator in the present position.

Check automotive bone yards particularly in vans. They have a habit of hanging things in different places.

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Onegreatsteak - how are you resolving the Y pipe alignment with the riser/elbow?

Are you using aftermarket manifolds and risers or are you customizing you OEM set, but porting them yourself?

And, I'm assuming your going to use the larger sea water pump that is available, right?

By porting do you mean adding the water connections for Full cooling? If so most replacements have ports for just about every possible use.

Try these people "http://www.ebasicpower.com/c/IND/Indmar%20Inboards"

You will need manifolds, spacers to install your fresh water inlets for the risers and of course block off plates between the manifolds and the spacers.

You can by elbows and pipe from West Marine and other places to get it hooked up.

Seen to have problems posting hope this goes through.