Calkins trailer need to make u frames

24 Albemarle

Seaman
I have a 1980 single axel Calkins with tubular u frames (3) rear frame is straight forward, flat u shape, front and middle are the same shapes but have compound bends. I need to replace them and have no chance of just buying them as Calkins is no more. They are formed from 2 1/2" schedule 40 pipe, and no one around here has a bender for pipe, so I am wondering if anyone else has built new replacements using a different stock? I am thinking 2" x 1/4" square tube... It is going to be tough as it will require cuts and welds for each bend. I know some are thinking just give up and get a different trailer, but the frame, axel and all is in good shape just these dang frames which were never galvanized (as far as I can tell) so I am looking for some advice or ideas.I don't have pics but spinnerbait posted pics of his trailer and the frames are same as his, any ideas, welder guys/ fabricators???

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Pipe is for poop... Dimensional tubing is for structural fabrication...

Any 4x4 shop that does custom fabrication will be able to bend your tubing for you.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
You also have the option of using some less difficult metal fabrication and converting the trailer to bunks.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Post some pictures of what yer talkin' 'bout,...

24 Albemarle

Seaman
Thanks for response, float on won't do here as the frame is too high, and dunking axel and springs in Chesapeake or Atlantic is not a long term solution. Unfortunately we don't have anyone that can form tubing this size, muffler pipe yes, but not steel pipe. I really don't see the reason for the use of round pie in the first place, I suppose the had their sop setup to do it and it worked for them at the time. I took the frames off and carried them to a welding shop to see if they would try and fab. them in 2x2 sq. stock but I'm not having that lovin feelin, if you know what I mean... so I don't have pics. to post:grumpy:. I have a feeling I will be handed my frames back with a " well we're purtybusy right now" excuse and then I'll just do em myself. I'm "purtybusy" right now too... Under he heading Calkin trailers in this forum Spinnerbait has pics of his trailer and they are the same except his is tandem and mine is single axel. Heavy duty trailer just needs some love. I never have much luck getting anyone to do stuff like this, fabricating something they can't just copy. I would try and explain better ,but I think pics will do mor than word here so bear with me and I will get some soon and then maybe we can make a plan. Standby. Thanks,24

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Just draw up a full size template of what you need IE trace the old ones.... Then mail that to any qualified shop (I can introduce you to at least 4 shops in my area)... They bend tubing to shape and mail them back to you...

Done deal

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Any professional plumbing shop will have a greenlee pipe and tubing bender. Hundreds of tubing fabrication shops that bend square tubing.

Muffler shops are for mufflers.

If the original was 2-1/2" pipe, then most likely it was formed in a greenlee hydraulic bender

24 Albemarle

Seaman
Hey, Hey, my guys blew me out of the water. I went to the welding shop Friday and there they were! Pretty much done, I was lucky as we had rain and they needed something inside to do and voila! I suppose they got "purdy busy" and did em. I spent the weekend sandblasting and then painting, then started reassembling. Didn't get finished but close. I'll know if all fits when I roll it under the boat and lower her down but I think we're good.I took some pics and got to my cloud ,now I have to see if I can remember how to post, I had a sticky on procedure but can't locate it just now... Phew!! that was tryin, I think I go pics of the trailer but they might be pics of my dog opening Christmas presents last year! We may all be surprised... Thanks for the look. Standin by 24:eek: Well 30 minutes of foolin with the pics (read sticky note tutorial)and keep getting invalid URL ( using photobucket) so I,m going to sit in the fat lady chair and sulk. What's up wit dat? Used to work fine...:confused:
Good night Irene

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Pasting the IMG code from PB is the easiest way. And nice sized pics too, None of those sucky thumbnails to click, all the pics are right in front of the post viewer,

24 Albemarle

Seaman
Well I'll try once again to post pics, it's kind of all over but I feel I owe some pics of what I did.
I can,t get it to work. I tried putting it in from pb using URL copied into window press post and same invalid URL, so put photos in a file and pull from my pictures file and photos are to big, (don't know how to change the sizes) went back to pb and put three pics in an album clicked on download , copied ( yellow window showed copied) went to IB post to paste, shows completion and then press post and get invalid URL... I have done all this several times and I will admit, I am a wrench guy not a puter guy, so I'm sure it's all on me, but I really I have done all this before and all was fine and actually simple so??? I,m trying but...