Breaking wave (amazing!)...

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Breaking wave (amazing!)...

For me the higher res (vimeo link and the link I posted from the videographers site) stops at 1:01? No video of him idling over the third wave.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

15' wave launching a 45' boat 11000 lbs 2400 hp watch the wake's it was his speed and power that got him look at the wake once he's off its huge...46 secs

[

Brian WV

Seaman

There WAS another way out--- a RIGHT turn...

I guess im a little more curious about this possibility mentioned. Needless to say i have zero experience in any type of ocean waters. Could he have made a run for the beach?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Darn I miss the ocean :(

QC

Supreme Mariner

I guess im a little more curious about this possibility mentioned. Needless to say i have zero experience in any type of ocean waters. Could he have made a run for the beach?
I think that he meant a right turn after the first wave, and run along them. We discussed the beach a little earlier in the thread and think that was trouble. May have avoided any injury, but the boat would've been beat to a pulp. Hard to say. No way to really know.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Let me clarify... I think the beach would have been a terrible idea BUT IF there was enough beach to land on and not just a cliff it would have been way better than what this bozo did...... ride a crest all the way in and carry just enough speed to brace and slide clear of the surf... then call the big wreckers and the ins company while walking home uninjured.

There were two or three ways out by water that didn't involve operating like he was roger rabbit.

UncleSpidey

Seaman

Alcohol and testosterone may have played a part, but maybe not. It kinda' looks to me like he was trying to get turned around, and just got caught. He goes over a couple of rollers at an angle, then turns hard to port - like he saw what was coming and wanted to get back to where he came from. Once he went bow first over the first breaker, he was in a VERY bad way and either hesitated or just plain made a bad choice to continue straight on. Honestly, I can envision and even appreciate the thought process he was going through. There but for the grace of God....just sayin'.

Not sure beaching is all that bad an idea, but it was a decision that would have had to be made prior to the turn to port.

Bad situation = bad situation. Bad situation + speed / power = almost always a worse situation

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

beaching in those conditions would all but guarantee moderate damage to the hull and extensive damage to the drives along with a high probability of swamping with sea water from the surf and a maybe even a possibility of the boat being washed back off of the beach and becoming a total loss..... BUT the chances of injury would be very low.... still better to run out of the surf zone or better yet never get in it in the first place..... They were very lucky to have survived....

Just think, if this was football we'd all be armchair quarterbacks.....

UncleSpidey

Seaman

Wasn't there a thread a year or two ago from someone who beached their boat in rough conditions on one of the Great Lakes? I'm sure I remember that, but I haven't found it yet. I seem to recall the thing sitting for a few days at least while he tried to figure out what to do about it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think that was on a Pennsylvania river, but not sure. The guy's wife was posting looking for help.

UncleSpidey

Seaman

I'm pretty sure it was one the lakes. I'm thinking Erie, but I just don't remember for certain. It's possible he actually sunk the thing after it got swamped. I remember a lot of talk about environmental damage.

Getting a little off topic, I guess, but I don't remember how that one turned out and now that I've started thinking about it....well, you know.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Then I don't recall it.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Beaching that sounds reasonalbe at first glance....Remeber this boat is not a weekend toy. From what i have read it had triple arneson surface drive's..now i maybe wrong here but i think that's a 100,000. bill about 30 a drive. Or 80..70. Beaching is not in the book's unless your back is up against the wall..big time. I truly believe the driver of the boat was in a tight spot and was not schooled enough in the realm of possibity's. It happen's to all of us...And that is why i no longer do the colmubia bar nor the ocean..a much differnt world out there.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

WOW, neat video!

I can almost see what he was not taking into consideration and that was the depth of the trough.
Evey other set of waves he went through the trough was not that deep, and at the speed he was going, OUCH no time for a retry!

Just me or did the last wave appear to have curled and the rest were just rolling?

angus63

Captain

Big boat
Big waves
Big HP
Little experience
Little training
Equals
Big problem
Big costs

QC

Supreme Mariner

Just me or did the last wave appear to have curled and the rest were just rolling?
Yes, and this is why, once he committed, I am conceding that quartering would've probably been bad.

This is still a very good debate, and a learning experience for all of us. I am with the camp that says we don't know about anything other than what we see. He may have been very experienced and simply made a mistake. He could also be unqualified to operate a tricycle. What we do have is the video and some evidence of options that he did not take. Great for discussion. Angus should take it to the Academy.

Last edited:

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I look at it and he could easily make the turn into the first wave and then had lots of time to continue turning to port so he would go back the way he came in. It seems he made a decision, in my opinion, to 'go for it' on the second wave. That left the third way where he was totally in recovery mode. That boat takes 6 seconds to go from 20-60. He would have been clear of the big rollers if he had left the area to port. (That would be a triple pun but was not intended)