Bought a Used Boat, but what is it?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
This thread piqued my interest. The Grew ain't it. I looked up Grew and their logos don't even come close to the OP's. The fish logo is the answer. Find that manufacturer's company logo and you'll find the answer.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Is the most complete list of logos I've seen
Awesome list. I bookmarked it for, future reference since I'm a restor kinda guy.

I scanned it for a minute. Didn't see it quick since I don't need it. Good infp for the OP.

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've seen that logo or something close. I'm pretty sure it was in the office of the former and final Grew owner. Is the logo even original to the boat or even boat related? I seen an Arctic Cat chrome logo on a Chevy Cruze recently. Just sayin.

FLATHEAD

Commander
I've seen that logo or something close. I'm pretty sure it was in the office of the former and final Grew owner. Is the logo even original to the boat or even boat related? I seen an Arctic Cat chrome logo on a Chevy Cruze recently. Just sayin.
Old member here went by “OMC” had a chrome Gremlin emblem on his old shovelhead.

Old member here went by “OMC” had a chrome Gremlin emblem on his old shovelhead.
I'm pretty sure the logo is original to the boat. It was owned by a farmer who just used it for fishing the local lakes....but you never know, he spent time and money putting some cool old keystone mags on the trailer. I'm sure the boat was bought locally in Red Deer. I'll go talk to the local boat shops. Huge jet boat scene out here and fishing is probably the #1 sport here in Rocky.
Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I'm pretty sure the logo is original to the boat. It was owned by a farmer who just used it for fishing the local lakes....but you never know, he spent time and money putting some cool old keystone mags on the trailer. I'm sure the boat was bought locally in Red Deer. I'll go talk to the local boat shops. Huge jet boat scene out here and fishing is probably the #1 sport here in Rocky.
Thanks for all the replies.
The mags and tires may be what he had laying around unless bolt pattern is different. That’s how my dad’s Catalina 22 trailer ended up with Blizzaks on it. Needed a set of 15” tires had a set snows for car I no longer owned…

The mags and tires may be what he had laying around unless bolt pattern is different. That’s how my dad’s Catalina 22 trailer ended up with Blizzaks on it. Needed a set of 15” tires had a set snows for car I no longer owned…
Absolutely! Use what you've got. Stuff is getting so expensive, why not?

briangcc

Commander
It says Riviera on the dash. Whether that or the logo is original to the boat is anyone's guess. It's old - 60's-70's, probably had a few owners, and could/most likely was modified at some point during its life.

Given this is pre-internet, possibly low production, you may or may not find anything about this boat other than its still somewhat intact.

Given its got an obsolete drive, I personally wouldn't restore it. But that's me having dealt with a modern drive (Volvo) and having to get parts for it. I hate Merc with a passion but if you must restore this, I'd go that route since they seem to have the I/O market cornered with oodles of parts available. OR convert it to an outboard hull and toss a Honda on there - whisper quiet.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Given this is pre-internet, possibly low production, you may or may not find anything about this boat other than its still somewhat intact.

. I hate Merc with a passion
I think you are right, probably more boat builders have gone out of business than are still in business... Its hard enough getting any useful info from the boat builders still in business.

Honestly asking - what is the hatred of Merc based on - did you have a bad experience on a past boat?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there was a website that I once had linked years ago (on my long dead laptop). it had well over 150,000 boat builders in the US listed that there was ever a record. Not backyard builders, however any company that had a business name. many built only 1 boat, some built 0. of which, I believe that only like 4000 still exist today.

over 1000 listed in the area from Tampa to Ft Myers alone.. one building in particular was home to over 30 different boat company names.

been looking for that link for the past 10 years. however my guess it was on a site that is no longer hosted.

long winded point.... even after the internet, the stuff isnt forever or easy to find

briangcc

Commander
I think you are right, probably more boat builders have gone out of business than are still in business... Its hard enough getting any useful info from the boat builders still in business.

Honestly asking - what is the hatred of Merc based on - did you have a bad experience on a past boat?
My first boat I bought, '99 Bayliner came with a 120 HP Force (By Mercury) 2 stroke. What a royal, royal pita to get to start or run correctly. Went through the correct break in process and subsequent adjustments from the marina. Never, ever would start right.

Replaced it with a Honda one year in and never looked back. Talk about whisper quiet - could hear the water hitting the lake from the tell tale at idle it was THAT quiet.

I traded that boat in on the FourWinns I ordered with Volvo power. Velvet smooth drive.

Parts availability and mechanics where I boat drove me to trade this boat in on my current Chap with Merc power. That stupid, idiotic shift interrupter cuts the engine out more times than not while trying to dock. It's adjusted properly - been to the marina as needed. That and the outdrive sounds like a blasted blender chopping ice. It is anything BUT velvet smooth. In this day and age why Merc can't get this right is beyond comprehension.

And to top it off...I completed a Merc survey when I bought my Chap new in '17 and commented about the shift interrupter and blender. Their response? Well we make other drives without that so why are you complaining? Seriously?? You asked what I thought about the boat I own, not one I don't and have no experience with.

Completely soured me on Merc.

Ohh and family members that have had Merc outboards, repowered with other brands almost immediately. Currently beyond my Merc I/O and my cousin's I/O in his Searay Sundeck, there's (2) Yamaha Outboards and (2) Evinrudes. My cousin does not like his Merc I/O and is looking to offload it.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Parts availability and mechanics where I boat drove me to trade this boat in on my current Chap with Merc power. That stupid, idiotic shift interrupter cuts the engine out more times than not while trying to dock. It's adjusted properly - been to the marina as needed. That and the outdrive sounds like a blasted blender chopping ice. It is anything BUT velvet smooth. In this day and age why Merc can't get this right is beyond comprehension.

And to top it off...I completed a Merc survey when I bought my Chap new in '17 and commented about the shift interrupter and blender. Their response? Well we make other drives without that so why are you complaining? Seriously?? You asked what I thought about the boat I own, not one I don't and have no experience with.

I didn't even consider the OB side as except for small tinnys over the years never owned one.

Only asked because my alpha gen one and gen two powered boats have been great for me. Had to read it twice as I didn't know they offered a blender....I get it on the dog clutch, I grew up with them so its second nature.

Fortunately have never had an issue with shift interrupt etc on either. 50's - 60's technology, but that's actually why I like it simple and light weight. If you compare a replacement OEM Alpha to a Bravo or VP SX cost wise I'll take the clunk.

Ironically my brothers newish Yamaha 4 stroke has a dog clutch, seems like it is still used on a lot of OBs. The whole engine is fantastic, only thing I dont like is the timing belt....

Thanks for sharing your experience

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My first boat I bought, '99 Bayliner came with a 120 HP Force (By Mercury) 2 stroke. What a royal, royal pita to get to start or run correctly. Went through the correct break in process and subsequent adjustments from the marina. Never, ever would start right.

Replaced it with a Honda one year in and never looked back. Talk about whisper quiet - could hear the water hitting the lake from the tell tale at idle it was THAT quiet.

I traded that boat in on the FourWinns I ordered with Volvo power. Velvet smooth drive.

Completely soured me on Merc.

Ohh and family members that have had Merc outboards, repowered with other brands almost immediately. Currently beyond my Merc I/O and my cousin's I/O in his Searay Sundeck, there's (2) Yamaha Outboards and (2) Evinrudes. My cousin does not like his Merc I/O and is looking to offload it.
I knew someone with a Force. POS and never ran even half well.

I see Hondas around here, and they sure are smooth and quiet. The problem is there is only one local dealer than will service them and he is an idiot. A bunch of the Police boats have Hondas, which puts a regular customer on the end of the list.

I grew up with 'Rude outboards on runabouts and was generally happy. Then, I switched to a Mercruiser 3.0 and it served me well for 35 years. No complaints there.

When I sold my old tinny with a 2-stroke outboard I upgraded to a Whaler with a Merc 4-stroke. That was so awesome that I a year later I traded the I/O for a new family boat with a 150 Merc 4-stroke.

Merc service in my area is about 10 to 1 vs. the competitors. Half are master dealers.

What gets me though is that after bringing out my boats after a cold dreary Winter, I dump them in the water, hit the key and it's "click-zoom" and she's fully awakened and ready to go.

70 years as a boater, and 56 years as a boat owner. I won't own another I/O. I'm too old to tinker, and a 4-star dealer / mechanic is only a half mile away.

Just my opinion.

airshot

Rear Admiral
If you can afford to pay others my hat is off to you. When I had my I/O, I didn't have many surprises and most work could be handled by myself. Parts were a lot cheaper and easier acess over a large outboard. I have had to downsize due to health issues, so back to an older two stroke 40 hp Merc outboard. Ah....simplicity at its finest !! Gotta love the two strokes !!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If you can afford to pay others my hat is off to you. When I had my I/O, I didn't have many surprises and most work could be handled by myself. Parts were a lot cheaper and easier acess over a large outboard. I have had to downsize due to health issues, so back to an older two stroke 40 hp Merc outboard. Ah....simplicity at its finest !! Gotta love the two strokes !!
When I had my I/O I did most of the maintenance myself as well. Same back in the old days when I had 2-stroke outboards. Also, it involved a lot of tinkering at times.

I realize that short of oil changes and such, most modern 4-stroke outboards are not DIY engines because of all the electronic gadgets and expensive parts. However, at least in my case they simply run year after year without the necessary tinkering.

Yeah, yeah I realize someone will come on shortly with tales of woe about how it cost them an arm and a leg to get theirs fixed. So be it.

stresspoint

Ensign
When I had my I/O I did most of the maintenance myself as well. Same back in the old days when I had 2-stroke outboards. Also, it involved a lot of tinkering at times.

I realize that short of oil changes and such, most modern 4-stroke outboards are not DIY engines because of all the electronic gadgets and expensive parts. However, at least in my case they simply run year after year without the necessary tinkering.

Yeah, yeah I realize someone will come on shortly with tales of woe about how it cost them an arm and a leg to get theirs fixed. So be it.
quite the opposite , a well maintained 4 stroke out board will corrode away and die before it lets you down / dies..
problem being is once owners get around 1000 - 1500 hours they tend to upgrade / trade them in , these old used motors go to the second hand market and are either user maintained or some dodgy shop maintained.

user maintained is not so bad so long as the maintenance schedule is adhered to.
the reason these older 4 strokes get a reputation as money pits is brought on by people that think the motor is good for thousands more hours. people tend to forget , 4 stroke outboards "make oil' so when mr Joe owner checks the oil it is on mark , so they don't bother to be concerned about servicing , this IMO is how many bigger HP 4 strokes die , lugged around , ran at trolling speeds with more fuel than oil in the sump."" get a smaller HP motor if you going to be doing that shyt .
a well maintained "and used properly lets say for example say" a 250 hp Yamaha will clock well in excess of 3000 hours if looked after by the book.

i have worked on many a 4 stroke outboard and seen all sorts of dodgy shyt people do IE: owner wants to draw 100 amps from the charge system and wonder why the electrics caught fire at cruise speed and did thousands of $ damage, wrong oil is another thing , too big of a prop causing the motor to lug is another killer.

its shyt like this that ruins the reputation of the 4 stoke outboards ,

i myself like the old 2 smokers , i like the sound , not too keen on working on them these days as parts are getting hard to come by for older models.

Last edited: