Bought a Used Boat, but what is it?

If you zip your fly back up and check your ego, you will find folks on this site super helpful. No one is on this site because they go out and buy stuff turnkey …I spent 30 years getting my GTO finally roadworthy doing all the work myself .
Not sure what what my ***** or my ego has to do with any of this...

southkogs

Staff member
Hmmm ... I thought I was encouraging, provided you understood what you were getting into ... :confused:

Hmmm ... I thought I was encouraging, provided you understood what you were getting into ... :confused:
southcogs, your response was fine. Absolutely no issue with someone trying to be helpful, that's what forums are for, it's the mean hearted trolls whose only suggestion is to find a large dumpster. That crap gets pretty old, pretty fast.
And Scott06, gorgeous goat. And of course a lot of people on this site are very helpful, that's why I'm here. What I don't get off on are the people that AREN'T helpful. And lordy, lordy there seem to be more and more of them all the time...

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
So I am a Mean Hearted Soul because I posted a Pic in response to Airshot's Comment.

As for Restrictions. Lakes are Regulated Federally, not Provincially or by Counties or Municipalities, which means only the Feds can ban Boats or impose a Speed or Horsepower Limit.(I had many a Discussion with the local Gestapo at a few lakes, on whether or not I could run my boat). Outside the National Parks, in Alberta pretty much any body of water where you can get the Boat wet, is usable

So I am a Mean Hearted Soul because I posted a Pic in response to Airshot's Comment.

As for Restrictions. Lakes are Regulated Federally, not Provincially or by Counties or Municipalities, which means only the Feds can ban Boats or impose a Speed or Horsepower Limit.(I had many a Discussion with the local Gestapo at a few lakes, on whether or not I could run my boat). Outside the National Parks, in Alberta pretty much any body of water where you can get the Boat wet, is usable
No Jimmbo, you are not. Your response and that picture were hilarious!!!
And I forgot all waterways are the feds responsibility. And good news about pretty much any body of water being fair game. There's a lot of water in the west country.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Obviously most of you folks buy your toys.

So absolutely nothing any of you have said means squat to me. Obviously I'm in the wrong forum and need to head over the restoration forum....
All of us on this site build our own toys.

Snarky comments have no place in the forums.

We are here to help, however let's keep it positive

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
Obviously most of you folks buy your toys. Not me, I build them. In my stable right now are:
1994 Chev 3/4 t. 4x4, my daily driver
1969 Ford F250 crewcab, stepside 4x4, my summer ride
1970 Ford 7 ton cabover, project truck
1951 Ford Marmon Herrington 4x4, just a really, really cool, rare truck
1976 FJ40 Toyota Landcruiser w/ Corvette L88, my jeep slayer
(2) 1979 Kawi Kz1000's rebuilding one, selling the other
1976 Honda 550K, Excellent original cond. My bike ride til the kawi is finished
1970 Massey Ferguson Garden Tractor

So absolutely nothing any of you have said means squat to me. Obviously I'm in the wrong forum and need to head over the restoration forum. Spending $10,000 getting this boat into decent restored condition is nothing compared to what a new boat costs. And when it's done I've got a really cool old boat that would look killer painted in Chrome Yellow being towed behind my 69 Crew and I'll never see another like it on any lake anywhere. And I guarantee you it will attract crowds at any marina or car show I take it to. So adios folks I'll go find a friendlier crowd to hang out with...
Can't help with boat resurrections, but you mentioned a '76 550K.
So, here's my mint, unrestored, 100% '75 550F.
I fully understand resurrecting an old relic, or finding one in mint condition.
No better feeling.
It's difficult to "read" intent on a website.

Attachments

• IMG_1600.png
    IMG_1600.png
    7 MB · Views: 8

southkogs

Staff member
Too many people join this forum to do a build, only to get VERY frustrated along the way when the build doesn't go the way they want. There are lots of folks here who have gone through those frustrations and see the potential trouble: the warnings here - most all of them in my opinion - were to help you not spend thousands of dollars only to never finish the boat.

If you're in for the whole haul: it's doable. And the boat would be cool. Most of us would suggest you tear it down to the stringers, repower to a chevy powered Mercruiser or Volvo. It's doable, it's potentially expensive and could be beautiful.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
And Scott06, gorgeous goat. And of course a lot of people on this site are very helpful, that's why I'm here. What I don't get off on are the people that AREN'T helpful. And lordy, lordy there seem to be more and more of them all the time...
thanks , its really a 20/20 car- at 20 ft and 20 mph it looks perfect, just dont get too close….

seriously only intent is that you know how deep the hole is… be interested to see how it goes .

stresspoint

Ensign
Obviously most of you folks buy your toys. Not me, I build them. In my stable right now are:
1994 Chev 3/4 t. 4x4, my daily driver
1969 Ford F250 crewcab, stepside 4x4, my summer ride
1970 Ford 7 ton cabover, project truck
1951 Ford Marmon Herrington 4x4, just a really, really cool, rare truck
1976 FJ40 Toyota Landcruiser w/ Corvette L88, my jeep slayer
(2) 1979 Kawi Kz1000's rebuilding one, selling the other
1976 Honda 550K, Excellent original cond. My bike ride til the kawi is finished
1970 Massey Ferguson Garden Tractor

So absolutely nothing any of you have said means squat to me. Obviously I'm in the wrong forum and need to head over the restoration forum. Spending $10,000 getting this boat into decent restored condition is nothing compared to what a new boat costs. And when it's done I've got a really cool old boat that would look killer painted in Chrome Yellow being towed behind my 69 Crew and I'll never see another like it on any lake anywhere. And I guarantee you it will attract crowds at any marina or car show I take it to. So adios folks I'll go find a friendlier crowd to hang out with...
hey wait up ! , there are some of us here that enjoy builds like this one, .

its old so count me in (y).

i would try to get the thing as close to original as possible barring the drive and motor .
there are options galore to get a nice drive and motor happening to suit that beast.
cant help much with identity of the hull but it looks good.

pics of the Landcruiser , i had one a ling time back with a 302 SB z28 Camaro motor :), thing was a monster.

Can't help with boat resurrections, but you mentioned a '76 550K.
So, here's my mint, unrestored, 100% '75 550F.
I fully understand resurrecting an old relic, or finding one in mint condition.
No better feeling.
It's difficult to "read" intent on a website.
SWEET! Love the color. Mine is rootbeer.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If you zip your fly back up and check your ego, you will find folks on this site super helpful. No one is on this site because they go out and buy stuff turnkey …I spent 30 years getting my GTO finally roadworthy doing all the work myself .
Aw, now you made me envious. Back in the 1960's I had 2 desires, a GTO and a rear steer Lyman. Never was able to get the Goat, but 30 years later I found the Lyman. Being very impatient and having a heated workshop, it only took me a year for the restoration...

Attachments

• P5233001.JPG
    P5233001.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 8

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
GTO, must be an Acronym for Get Twin Outboards
Gran Turismo Omologato
Interesting enough, it was designed, engineered and promoted by the Pontiac Motor Division Bigwig, John DeLorean.

Funny thing, though, when he started his own company his cars would only go 88 mph.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Aw, now you made me envious. Back in the 1960's I had 2 desires, a GTO and a rear steer Lyman. Never was able to get the Goat, but 30 years later I found the Lyman. Being very impatient and having a heated workshop, it only took me a year for the restoration...
Nice looking boat and love the old Evinrudes of that generation. I have a 1956 5.5 with same paint scheme. Have not run it in years, need a working pressurized tank.…