boats on a budget

Mr.Stuart

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: boats on a budget

that's how I did the trailer, it was about 4 different collers, I stripped it down to bare metal, and used the GI Joes paint to prime and paint it, it transformed the trailer, and the paint has help up pretty well.

on the trailer, I sanded and sand blasted the parts to get the paint stripped off it, can't do that with the boat though

Mr.Stuart

I just had me another idea ... I was looking through the "free" stuff on craigslist and noticed things like dressers and entertainment centers that are solid oak.

It looks like I can cannibalize the stuff to redo the wood in the boat, but how would oak fair out in the weather?

Hey, the wood would be free.... that?s a good price.

I also posted an ad looking for a heated garage or shop I can use for a couple of days while I paint this boat, we?ll see where that gets me. I?m not really looking forward to doing it outside and dodging the weather.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

a lot of what they think is solid, is partical board with a solid front trim.

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just had that on the news here awhile back! Furniture stores selling items as solid oak or cherry that were not solid.

Mr.Stuart

Just had that on the news here awhile back! Furniture stores selling items as solid oak or cherry that were not solid.
ok, I'll scratch that idea, thought I might have been on to something for a minute.

a friend was telling me last night that I don't want to use paint stripper on the inside because of the ribs, he said that the stripper will get under the ribs and I'll have a mess on my hands trying to flush it all out, I haven't read or heard anything that supports that theory, and I've done a whole bunch of searching the Internet on the subject. so at this point, .....I'm still going for the oven cleaner

brents

Seaman

I did a quick shot of oven cleaner on my alumunum splash well the other day, curiosity got me. It did remove the paint, but in my opinion would take a heavy coating, or atleast a second coating to get all the paint off. Wiping didn't lift the paint very well, an abrasive pad did ok. I hit a small spot with a wire brush and the paint came right up. However, wire brushes tend to have that affect.

Mr.Stuart

I did a quick shot of oven cleaner on my alumunum splash well the other day, curiosity got me. It did remove the paint, but in my opinion would take a heavy coating, or atleast a second coating to get all the paint off. Wiping didn't lift the paint very well, an abrasive pad did ok. I hit a small spot with a wire brush and the paint came right up. However, wire brushes tend to have that affect.

I stopped off at NAPA today and looked at a can of aircraft paint stripper and read the label on it, it says right on the can not to let it get into any seams because it will wreck the new paint job, so I'm going to pick up the biggest stainless steel brush I can find tomorrow and go after the paint with that, there's hardly any paint left in the boat (see picture), so I don't think wire brushing it is going to be that hard to do.

I'll admit, I'm stalling a little bit here because I haven't decided yet, exactly how I want to go about doing this, but I think I got it narrowed down now, and I'm really getting antsy to get it painted so I can start putting it back together, I want to get the paint behind me and start doing the woodwork.

It looks to me that when the boat was originally painted, they painted it after it was completely built with the wood in it, the heaviest areas of paint in the hull is under where the seats were mounted and the paint in those areas in really thin, it pretty much feathers out to bare aluminum, and I don't think the boat was ever treated with anything, I've seen no old primer, only paint, I'll start in on it with a wire brush tomorrow and get some pictures

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 0

fishingful

Cadet

great project

i would get a wire weel amd put it on a drill but then again i am lazy lol

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

brass wire wheel, steel will leave small bits that will rust.

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

brass wire wheel, steel will leave small bits that will rust.

Ooops too! Guess i made a mistake already?Did some wire wheeling getting that old glue and carpet backing off.Found out not really nesesary though the goof off is real good just requires the scraper really.Anything i should put on the part i wheeled TD?Been 10 days since i did it.Should be rusting now if its gonna?Hoping to get over there tomorrow evening to do the port side.

Mr.Stuart

Ooops too! Guess i made a mistake already?Did some wire wheeling getting that old glue and carpet backing off.Found out not really nesesary though the goof off is real good just requires the scraper really.Anything i should put on the part i wheeled TD?Been 10 days since i did it.Should be rusting now if its gonna?Hoping to get over there tomorrow evening to do the port side.
I'm going to go to harbor freight and see if I can find a brass wheel, it might be a few days before I can work on the boat again, I need to do a brake job on my car tomorrow, and the weather is kinda cold and nasty, and I'll admit, it's starting to slow me down

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cold and windy here today too.I was thinking about it and it wont be an issue anyway since i am just going to be putting more glue and new carpet down anyway.Heading over now to get the port side done,and check out this cool little turbo kerosene heater my buddy brought over to me.

Mr.Stuart

Cold and windy here today too.I was thinking about it and it wont be an issue anyway since i am just going to be putting more glue and new carpet down anyway.Heading over now to get the port side done,and check out this cool little turbo kerosene heater my buddy brought over to me.

I was working on the car today, got the brakes done, so it stops now, I had thought of maybe putting off the brake repair and working on the boat, then got to thinking that when the boats done, and I back it down the ramp, being able to stop before the jeep hit the water might be a good thing, so ...brake job complete, I'm taking tomorrow off work, I'm hoping I can do some paint stripping then, I still need to pick up a brass wheel to strip it with.

I hope that heater works for you, I'm freezing my tush off here, and it's getting pretty wet, the low temperatures tonight are supposed to drop to 32 degrees, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, I don't care how cold or wet it gets, I'm going to keep working on the boat, I think I can do just about everything I need to do with it out in the weather, except the paint, still looking for a warm shop or garage to paint it in, one will turn up when the times right.

As far as the wood work is concerned, I can use the old wood as a pattern, cut the new stuff to fit, take it in the house and stain and lacquer it, or however I’m going to do it, (we’ll cross that bridge and I’ll be asking questions when I get to that point), then I can take the parts back out to the boat and install them.

all i can say, is this better be worth it if I'm going to go freeze my rear off doing this winter restoration out in the cold!:eek:

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well i got the port side all cleaned up.Yes this heater is the bomb! Pretty beat up looking but man it heats up my space real nice.Although once i started applying the goof off the heater went off and the garage door was wide open freezing my a-- off but got er done.That goof off is real strong smelling stuff.I dont envy you working on yours outside this winter.Being a Michigander you would think the cold wouldnt bother me.But once my hands get cold im done! Fact is cant do s--t with gloves on.I sure feel blessed to have gotten this garage for 50.. a month.Was talking to another neighboor he pays 125.00 a month no electric.

Portsidedone001.jpg

Mr.Stuart

I posted an ad on craigslist looking for a garage or shop, someone responded and said I could have it in exchange for some gutter cleaning, so I jumped on it, said yes, and never heard back from them .....go figure

and all I wanted it for was a few days just to paint the boat, not the entire winter.

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

That sucks! Guess they were just being cute.Speaking of gutters,i bought one of those B,D electric blower/leaf vacum,man i got up on the roof and had the gutters blown out in about 15 minutes.Hope you find something soon cant wait to see it painted up.

Mr.Stuart

That sucks! Guess they were just being cute.Speaking of gutters,i bought one of those B,D electric blower/leaf vacum,man i got up on the roof and had the gutters blown out in about 15 minutes.Hope you find something soon cant wait to see it painted up.
I'm still not quite to the paint stage yet, but it's getting closer, I can have that boat ready to paint in a few hours at most. other little projects just seem to keep getting in the way.

one question I had was, is the Gluvit really nessassory? can I kind of skip that part and just prime and paint?

a gutter cleaner, now there's an idea, I have no idea why someone would respond like their really interested in doing a trade, then just vanish, but I suppose that's probably typical of craigslist.

I might try that garage ad again, but spice it up a little better, maybe try offering some hauling services or something, I've always been into the horse trading thing.

"hey, I'll clean out your garage if you let me borrow it for a few days" ...noooo, that might get me more then I bargened for:eek:

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep you might not want to go getting into that garage cleaning thing lol.As far as the gluvit i dont think you have to if you wanna skip it.But you have been doing a pretty thourough job so far.Might as well do it.I am also sitting on the fence about that one on my project.My foam is dry and in good condition,never been any leaking history,wondering if since it is being striipped down should i take that extra few steps and remove the old foam prep and apply the gluvit,then redo the foam?Just seems like additional expense and work.Got plenty of time to decide.It wont be going to the painter until sometime in the spring.I have alot of things to do between now and then though.Like Gary H said the fun part will be once its painted putting it back together!

Mr.Stuart

Yep you might not want to go getting into that garage cleaning thing lol.As far as the gluvit i dont think you have to if you wanna skip it.But you have been doing a pretty thourough job so far.Might as well do it.I am also sitting on the fence about that one on my project.My foam is dry and in good condition,never been any leaking history,wondering if since it is being striipped down should i take that extra few steps and remove the old foam prep and apply the gluvit,then redo the foam?Just seems like additional expense and work.Got plenty of time to decide.It wont be going to the painter until sometime in the spring.I have alot of things to do between now and then though.Like Gary H said the fun part will be once its painted putting it back together!

noo, don't want to get into some garage cleaning thing, I'm trying another route, I see ads for garage rentals, or shop space for rent, I'm going to start making some phone calls and see if I can get one of those for 3 days or so.

I called on one that sounded perfect, but the lady cut me off at the pass and told me my boat wouldn't fit through the door of her garage, I haven't quite figured that one out yet, I haven't seen a garage door yet that that little boat wouldn't fit through, I just said "ok, thanks" and hung up. I think I scared her off when I told her I wanted to paint a boat, it's not near as bad as it sounds, this isn't some monster ocean going yacht ...well ok, it's my yacht ...I can call it a yacht can't I?

around here it looks like you can rent a garage for 100 a month or so, so I'm thinking that if I could get one for maybe 3 days, it should be pretty cheap.

if it was summer, .... I'd have that thing painted already