Evinrude 35hp won't start!

gooselll

Recruit
My 1958 Evin 35hp ran like a champ. Now I am not getting any gas to the cylinders. I checked the fuel pump and even replaced it but still no gas. I rebuilt the carb but still nothing. I got told it might be a head gasket problem. I have plenty of spark. I just don't know why I am getting no gas to the cyclinders. If anyone knows the compression, that might help. I know its an oldy but I can really use some help. I really like my old Evy. confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude 35hp won't start!

Ahoy, Goose.<br /><br />What makes you so certain fuel is not getting to the cylinders? Have you tried squirting some premix into the carb?<br /><br />Compression should be around 90-110psi and nearly equal between the cylinders.<br /><br />Let us know. Then maybe we can offer more specific advice.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

G DANE

Commander
Re: Evinrude 35hp won't start!

Hi Goosell<br /><br />JB gives you a good piece of advise ( as always ) I´ve been working a lot with my brotherinlaws 1973 25 Hp lately. We thought it had a fuel problem - untill we squirted fuel directly in intake as JB suggests and it didnt help. Then I rigged up a spark tester and tried if both sparks could jump 7/16" gap with strong blue flame. The one didnt and there was the problem, bad condenser. Take a clouser look at the spark, a test with a spark plug doesnt say much. Things arnt always as it seems.