Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Blue Crabber

Ensign
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Just found out that I will be spending most of the day at Perryville MD tomorrow at the VA center. Looks like I will be running this job later this summer so I might get to spend some extra time down at the upper chesapeake this summer. :D

skargo

Banned

Good deal Brandon! We'll have to do lunch sometime!

Bill,
we bailed on going out Sunday, weather wasn't too good and they had some severe thunderstorms roll through.

Any nice weekend day/afternoon if you're out, look in Cara cove for us, seems to be habit forming to us!

I'd like to go over to Still pond more, and do some Middle River area trips as well...or whatever, as long as it's on the water!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i was out sunday an it was really windy and rough. Once I got south of turkey point, into the open bay, it was easily 5 ft seas. And blowing maybe 20 knots.

I was going to try to make it to heart miller, but it started to rain at 3 pm. So I headed up the elk river to anchor. We were running 90 degrees to the wind, with just our small jib up, going 6 mph!
The boat almost tiped 2 times too. We got blown so far over, the rail on the side of the boat, was almost in the water. It is usually 3 ft above the waterline.

Scott, did you ever make it out to heart miller?
you are pretty open to the wind out there.

skargo

Banned

Nope, we bailed after seeing the forecast!

Blue Crabber

Ensign

i was out sunday an it was really windy and rough. Once I got south of turkey point, into the open bay, it was easily 5 ft seas. And blowing maybe 20 knots.

I was going to try to make it to heart miller, but it started to rain at 3 pm. So I headed up the elk river to anchor. We were running 90 degrees to the wind, with just our small jib up, going 6 mph!
The boat almost tiped 2 times too. We got blown so far over, the rail on the side of the boat, was almost in the water. It is usually 3 ft above the waterline.

Scott, did you ever make it out to heart miller?
you are pretty open to the wind out there.

Does that mean that you weren't able to complete the 3 day sail? I was just curious how it went for you. However, sometimes the most responsible thing to do is wait until a time when the weather cooperates better.

I am sure you will be out there again soon.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

we sailed from sunday morning till tuesday afternoon.
we just never made it past the elk river. Maybe about 15 miles one way.

If I didn't thnik it was going to thunderstorm on sunday afternoon, I would have kept going, and maybe anchored in the bush river.
But the skys around 3 on sunday looked wicked. So we anchored in the elk.

Then we spend monday night anchored at the sand islands. got back by 2 pm today.
We got grounded off the channel comming back from the sand islands. We were in 15 ft of water, and I leave the cockpit for 30 seconds, then we are grounded, in 3 ft of water.

So I walked the anchor out, and we winched the line back up, to pull the boat out. It worked, the anchor did not move, the boat did.
The drop off was dramatic. I was in 3 ft of water, then it was over my head in 2 steps.

skargo

Banned

That's a cool way to become ungrounded Kyle.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

the anchor is huge. maybe a 15 or 20 lb danforth

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have seen sail boats use the halyard on their mast to get the off the ground. You tilt the boat way over on the side and can float them off. Yes the flats near Furnace bay has a huge drop off. The Channel around the tip of Perry Point is a stones throw off shore. Its strange but you have to go closer to shore for deeper water. We use to naviagate that channel by linning up red bank and the smoke stacks at Perry point, Then they took the old smoke stacks down. :rolleyes:

I have been grounded on those flats more than once. If you never been on the ground up in that area you dont know the waters. The north east river can be very shallow too on a low tied. You can walk across the river when the tide is low except for the two channels.

Now that I have the power boat running I am getting the itch to get the sail boat in the water. One can never have too many water toys.

skargo

Banned

I have seen sail boats use the halyard on their mast to get the off the ground. You tilt the boat way over on the side and can float them off. Yes the flats near Furnace bay has a huge drop off. The Channel around the tip of Perry Point is a stones throw off shore. Its strange but you have to go closer to shore for deeper water. We use to naviagate that channel by linning up red bank and the smoke stacks at Perry point, Then they took the old smoke stacks down. :rolleyes:

I have been grounded on those flats more than once. If you never been on the ground up in that area you dont know the waters. The north east river can be very shallow too on a low tied. You can walk across the river when the tide is low except for the two channels.

Now that I have the power boat running I am getting the itch to get the sail boat in the water. One can never have too many water toys.

I run between HDG and NE every time we go out, I follow the red line in the "outer " channel.
I see people using the close to shore channel(yellow line) but haven't tried it yet. Get's real shallow around Carpenters pt when I make my turn north. We anchor in Cara cove often, and have to go slightly north of the center of the cove before we can cut across the NE river.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 0

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I run between HDG and NE every time we go out, I follow the red line in the "outer " channel.
I see people using the close to shore channel(yellow line) but haven't tried it yet. Get's real shallow around Carpenters pt when I make my turn north. We anchor in Cara cove often, and have to go slightly north of the center of the cove before we can cut across the NE river.

The yellow inside channel takes you in by wild duck. Its very very narrow and its good for water skiiing in that cove but if you get out of the channel you will screw up your prop. Again a good stones throw from your boat to shore and you will be right in the center. When you get down near poplar point it moves out from shore.

Have you been down to still pond? thats a crazy channel to get in and out of. The water really runs fast throught that narrow opening.

skargo

Banned

The yellow inside channel takes you in by wild duck. Its very very narrow and its good for water skiiing in that cove but if you get out of the channel you will screw up your prop. Again a good stones throw from your boat to shore and you will be right in the center. When you get down near poplar point it moves out from shore.

Have you been down to still pond? thats a crazy channel to get in and out of. The water really runs fast throught that narrow opening.

yep, I like Stillpond, you need to work the throttle a but getting in and out.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Scott, have you if had trouble at the east end of the canal near carpenter point during low tide. I go that way during high tide but usually run down through the main canal if its close to low tide. Has anyone tried to cross over the flats at high tide? I am usually at the sand islands and want to go to the NE river. Last weedend a saw a maybe 25' cig. boat going straight across from the southern end of the canal, east of fishing battery light towards HDG. and then I saw two boats seating in the middle of the flats with kite boarders. So I am just curious about a short cut to the Nautigoose.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

the flats are 1 ft deep at mean low water, so a 3 ft high tide will give you 4 ft.
but other parts of the flats arte 1/2 a ft deep.
so at the shallowest you are talking 3.5 ft on a real high tide.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

the flats are 1 ft deep at mean low water, so a 3 ft high tide will give you 4 ft.
but other parts of the flats arte 1/2 a ft deep.
so at the shallowest you are talking 3.5 ft on a real high tide.

Yea, I guess I can go around them.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

plus there is sea weed everywhere.
i went out into the middle of the flats once in my 16 ft boat. And it was 2-3 ft deep, but the seaweed was getting in the prop

skargo

Banned

Scott, have you if had trouble at the east end of the canal near carpenter point during low tide. I go that way during high tide but usually run down through the main canal if its close to low tide. Has anyone tried to cross over the flats at high tide? I am usually at the sand islands and want to go to the NE river. Last weedend a saw a maybe 25' cig. boat going straight across from the southern end of the canal, east of fishing battery light towards HDG. and then I saw two boats seating in the middle of the flats with kite boarders. So I am just curious about a short cut to the Nautigoose.

Bill,
I ran aground once in that area when we had some north winds taking the water out. It was a soft grounding that I backed out of. I've seen mud churned plenty of times.
I've yet to get the courage to blast across the flats regardless of tide. "Twice as Nice" draws a good amount for a 21 footer.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Interesting chart Scott. I have always run the inside one. (The yellow line.) I haven't exactly located the channel farther out yet. (The red line.) I have to go slow and find it next time I head over to Havre De Grace.