Boating the Upper Chesapeake

SuperNova

Lieutenant
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

George's point ,Is that on the port side or the starboard side of Hack's point. How's it for wading in. ?It gets kind of crowded at Hacks Point on weekends.
It's actually upstream of Hack's Point. You have to go under the Rt213 bridge and it is straight ahead. We grew up on the Bohemia and Veazy's Cove used to be the hot spot on the weekends, but now it's pretty much empty and everyone seems to hang out across the river from Long Point and Hack's Point. It's does get crowded there on the weekends for sure. I remember not too long ago we used to ski that area on the weekdays at about 6 a.m. It's only no-wake on weekends and holidays...people anchor there sometimes not realizing that.

Philster

Captain

I have no idea where any of these places are! Haha. Seriously, my fiance has the place in Indian Acres and I have not been down to the Sassafras yet!

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I have no idea where any of these places are! Haha. Seriously, my fiance has the place in Indian Acres and I have not been down to the Sassafras yet!
Duffy Creek marina is right off of 213 just north of the drawbridge at Georgetown. What way do you go to get to Indian Acres??

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

so carvell captain, your flotation foam was wet?
mine was too last year when i tore up my deck.
i filled a 50 gallon trash can up with wet foam, it must have been 100-200 lbs.
was all the foam wet? once you got half way to the bow, my foam was dry.
how much dead weight did you get out with the foam?

i didn't even bother replacing my foam. If i Sink, I sink.

Philster

Captain

Duffy Creek marina is right off of 213 just north of the drawbridge at Georgetown. What way do you go to get to Indian Acres??

Hey, I googled that, and that works. That's down 213, so it's perfect.

I never unwinterized, so I have to get crackin' early Saturday morning. I know nothing of the area, so I have to get familiar with the charts. My fiance has no boating/waterway knowledge, so I might have to get her brother-in-law to help me out.

That's a 30 minute drive from here. I'll be going nuts if it is 85 sunny degrees and the boat is high and dry.

skargo

Banned

Phil,
read the charts well, there are some shoals on the Sass to watch, but the charts are accurate from what I could tell last year.

Hope to see you Sunday, hail "Twice as Nice" if you are out.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never unwinterized, so I have to get crackin' early Saturday morning. I know nothing of the area, so I have to get familiar with the charts. My fiance has no boating/waterway knowledge, so I might have to get her brother-in-law to help me out.

That's a 30 minute drive from here. I'll be going nuts if it is 85 sunny degrees and the boat is high and dry.

How far are you from DE city? There is the state ramp there and with your boat you are probably less than 30 min from the Elk river down the C&D. And given the 15-20' of no wake on the Sass you would probably make it to Turkey point faster down the C&D. And you know the canal along that route will be clearly marked. And that is 30' on the boat vs pulling it through traffic.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

George's point ,Is that on the port side or the starboard side of Hack's point. How's it for wading in. ?It gets kind of crowded at Hacks Point on weekends.

SuperNova is accurate, George's Point is the North side of the Little Bohemis creek. Wading is great even for the kids.

It's actually upstream of Hack's Point. You have to go under the Rt213 bridge and it is straight ahead. We grew up on the Bohemia and Veazy's Cove used to be the hot spot on the weekends, but now it's pretty much empty and everyone seems to hang out across the river from Long Point and Hack's Point. It's does get crowded there on the weekends for sure. I remember not too long ago we used to ski that area on the weekdays at about 6 a.m. It's only no-wake on weekends and holidays...people anchor there sometimes not realizing that.

Doesn't Indian Acres have their own ramp? Maybe too shallow though.:confused:

That's a good 30 minutes even not towing;)

How far are you from DE city? There is the state ramp there and with your boat you are probably less than 30 min from the Elk river down the C&D. And given the 15-20' of no wake on the Sass you would probably make it to Turkey point faster down the C&D. And you know the canal along that route will be clearly marked. And that is 30' on the boat vs pulling it through traffic.

This is my suggestion as well.:)

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool. I was emailing a girl that works there, and I told her about how low the water was at Tydings a couple weeks ago and it wasn't the easiest for me to retrieve. She said I might have issues at Tidewater because it's shallow?
Don't have many more options in the area.

Scott, I used Tidewater twice last year and never had any problems. I think I came in at near low tide once and loading was pretty normal. The clean up area after you load was a little crowded( I felt like I was in the way of car traffic) coming out the store. But other than that I thought it was pretty nice. How much does it cost for the 40 bridge? The ramp at perryville is nice and I bet a $25 yearly pass would pay for itself by the time they finish your ramp. Here is the link.

http://www.perryvillemd.org/parks_recreation.html

skargo

Banned

Scott, I used Tidewater twice last year and never had any problems. I think I came in at near low tide once and loading was pretty normal. The clean up area after you load was a little crowded( I felt like I was in the way of car traffic) coming out the store. But other than that I thought it was pretty nice. How much does it cost for the 40 bridge? The ramp at perryville is nice and I bet a $25 yearly pass would pay for itself by the time they finish your ramp. Here is the link.

http://www.perryvillemd.org/parks_recreation.html

I have a decal for the bridge BUT towing a dual axle trailer costs $10, not worth it unless I go up rt 1, over the Conowingo dam and go the back way.
I am going to try Tidewater this Sunday and see how it goes. I'm assuming they have a pier there?

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone familiar with Craft Haven campground and marina?
I passed it on the way to look at the cottage. Can't seem to find much info on net. Guess I will have to call. I was thinking of using that to put boat in and out while on vacation. Real close and may be able to use to dock.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a decal for the bridge BUT towing a dual axle trailer costs $10, not worth it unless I go up rt 1, over the Conowingo dam and go the back way.
I am going to try Tidewater this Sunday and see how it goes. I'm assuming they have a pier there?

It's a short pier and the sailboat owners in the marina pull up in their dinghy's to go to the store. have fun.

Philster

Captain

This is great info. Indian Acres ramp is too shallow/muddy. I have been warned already by someone launching a 14-footer regularly there.

I can spit on Delaware City from where I live. I am one mile from the C+D Canal and 2 miles from Delaware City.

I am so new to the area. So, wait, I could dunk my boat locally and shoot down the C & D (which is less nerve racking than a river with shoals that I never sailed)?

I am soooo going to look over maps/charts now....

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is great info. Indian Acres ramp is too shallow/muddy. I have been warned already by someone launching a 14-footer regularly there.

I can spit on Delaware City from where I live. I am one mile from the C+D Canal and 2 miles from Delaware City.

I am so new to the area. So, wait, I could dunk my boat locally and shoot down the C & D (which is less nerve racking than a river with shoals that I never sailed)?

I am soooo going to look over maps/charts now....

look for a ramp around 39* 34' 31 N and 75* 35' 19.90W. I thought I was driving into a housing complex but the ramp was nice and there is gas right across the canal if you want to stay ethanol free.

Philster

Captain

Argh, can't see that on the map, but see one accessible from Fort Dupont State Park on the Branch Canal @ Delaware City.

skargo

Banned

So what's the plan for Sunday, where are we meeting, Turkey Point?

The Sass isn't bad if you follow the channel. Do you have a gps/chartplotter Phil?

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Argh, can't see that on the map, but see one accessible from Fort Dupont State Park on the Branch Canal @ Delaware City.

sorry, I use google earth for everything. I pretty sure it was in the state park.

Philster

Captain

Yes.. Have GPS. I am trying to rally some interest from a buddy or two. I'd launch at Delaware City and fly down the canal. I don't fly alone!

Let me check back later. :)

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

scott, the 40 brigde is 10 bucks for a single axle trailer.
2 axles would be 15.
the decal does nothing when toiwng. you have to pay the 5 for the truck, and 5 for each trailer axle. the decal does nothing. i think that is b.s, but what can you do.

sometimes they make arbitrary towing rates, like for the bay bridge, and harbor tunnel. it used to be $5 for towing a single axle arcoss the bay bridge, not it is 7.50. but the regluar rate stayed the same.
they just did that so the voters would not notice the increase.