Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Yeah- if the weather looks good. Give me a shout if you're out and maybe we can hook up somewhere.

Our boat is still in winter storage ,We'll get it out next week or so. May put it in the water towards the end of May Depending on how warm the water gets. I don't like standing in cold water .I'm retired so that means I'm a little older then most of you pup's .

skargo

Banned

Yeah- if the weather looks good. Give me a shout if you're out and maybe we can hook up somewhere.

Will do! I drove down to Lapidum today, no progress! :mad:
I'm going to check out Tidewater's ramp this Sunday.

I took this pic at Lapidum today.

29818_10150180574000652_554955651_12005894_3237450_n.jpg

skargo

Banned

Here's a pic of the ramp at Lapidum, looks like NO progress since I took pics back during the snow storms. Makes me mad as I bought the passport, intending to use that ramp almost exclusively. I'm very comfortable there. Oh well!

24746_10150180831860652_554955651_12012427_3438384_n.jpg

I parked my truck by the gates, and when I came out a park police was blocking me in. He turned out to be a nice fellow, he told me they had some great weather days, with no work being done. He said no way they will be finished by May 15th!

SuperNova

Lieutenant

It's good to see that there are people interested in cruising on the upper Chesapeake Bay. We have a large Mobile home south of Earlville MD. The place is called Elkview Shores. If anyone is interested in a low priced location to have to get away from it all on weekends this is the place .No I don't own the place We just go there a lot because we are across the river from Turkey Point light house.The park is right on the water and it has it's own free boat ramp.That's if you have a trailer there. We were there yesterday cleaning up when one of the guys there told me that he was selling his 24 ft travel trailer for $1200.00 And the rent for it is only $800.00 it's an 84 model. There are other good buy's as well.
Do they rent spots for the weekend or is it all just seasonal. Is the $800 for the year? I have a 30 travel trailer and am looking for spots....got any more info? Thanks

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Here's a pic of the ramp at Lapidum, looks like NO progress since I took pics back during the snow storms. Makes me mad as I bought the passport, intending to use that ramp almost exclusively. I'm very comfortable there. Oh well!
Any update on Rogue Harbor ramp?

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have my waterproof chart, now I have to get stronger reading glasses so I can read it.:mad:
Ordered the 2009 Ches. guide. Should be here any day.:)
Looked at some picture on FB that Scott posted but have to wait to find out what it is a picture of.:rolleyes:
I think my day is complete.:D

Philster

Captain

Indian Acres checking in.

Don't know of a place to launch a 27' Scarab 'round the Sassafras??? All new to me. Anybody have a spot where I can launch?

I would love to take 'er out this weekend before she goes into a Boatel in N.J.!

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

24746_10150180831860652_554955651_12012427_3438384_n.jpg

I parked my truck by the gates, and when I came out a park police was blocking me in. He turned out to be a nice fellow, he told me they had some great weather days, with no work being done. He said no way they will be finished by May 15th!

Oops! Sorry Scott. Missed this picture. :redface:

skargo

Banned

Don't know of a place to launch a 27' Scarab 'round the Sassafras??? All new to me. Anybody have a spot where I can launch?

I would love to take 'er out this weekend before she goes into a Boatel in N.J.!
Not sure, maybe Georgetown or one of the other marinas? If you get out, where are you going, we'll be out Sunday. Not that I can keep up in my Nova. :D
Oops! Sorry Scott. Missed this picture. :redface:

No problem, I have massive amounts of patience with the elderly :eek::p

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice job!!!!
Good thing you said something about the toes on the one picture.
A smart *** like me would have had to ask the question.:)

thanks.. yeah if i watched someone slide show and saw toes like that in it I would probably make s smart comment too! :p Thats why I put the caption !

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey, SilverEagle....Welcome Aboard.

Elkview ? Is that the one between Crystal Beach and Buttonwood Beach?
Yes,
Since you mention Hack's Point, I'll also mention that a lot of folks ski upstream of the 213 bridge and also raft-up there at Middle Neck (George's Point) it's a sandy bottom with a fairly shallow sandbar.

George's point ,Is that on the port side or the starboard side of Hack's point. How's it for wading in. ?It gets kind of crowded at Hacks Point on weekends.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Sure- Duffy Creek Marina. I used to launch my 23 Nova there every once in a while. The ramp is steeper than most and there's not a lot of turning space, but it'll work for your 27. One real nice thing about that place is that it's calm in their basin even if the wind is howling out on the river.

skargo

Banned

Hey Rob,
have you ever used Tidewater's ramp?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Rob,
have you ever used Tidewater's ramp?

Yeah, a few times. It's steep so your trailer will probably scrape a bit, but otherwise no problem. I'm also thinking that it gets deep fast, so don't let the trailer go too far in.

skargo

Banned

Yeah, a few times. It's steep so your trailer will probably scrape a bit, but otherwise no problem. I'm also thinking that it gets deep fast, so don't let the trailer go too far in.
Cool. I was emailing a girl that works there, and I told her about how low the water was at Tydings a couple weeks ago and it wasn't the easiest for me to retrieve. She said I might have issues at Tidewater because it's shallow?
Don't have many more options in the area.