Boat cover blues...

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I hate wasting $ so I am at a loss about what to do here. I bought this Carver Aqua Shield here on iboats and it leaks. And not just a little. After a rain the boat will drain out the transom plug.
I've treated the entire cover with Nikwax and made multiple supports, each with no effect. The rain comes through and there is no pooling on the cover. There is substantial pooling inside the boat.
Beyond buying another cheap poly tarp (one was lost in the wind) I am at a loss about what to do with this $500 white elephant. Is there any other type of treatment I can apply to make this water resistant?
You can see by the pic that water does indeed bead now that its been treated but after a few minutes the top becomes saturated and the water starts coming through.

DSC04756.jpg

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Boat cover blues...

If they advertise it as being waterproof I would contact customer service and see what they recommend.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with contacting customer service. I'm guessing that they don't want people bashing their product on a forum that they sponsor. However, I don't see a cover called "Carver Aqua Shield". Is there another name for the cover you bought?

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with contacting customer service. I'm guessing that they don't want people bashing their product on a forum that they sponsor. However, I don't see a cover called "Carver Aqua Shield". Is there another name for the cover you bought?

The cover is sold here and is called Aqua Shield, but its made by Carver.
I contacted them months ago and they want my cover back for testing and if they found something wrong they would send me a new one. But since I need a cover I can't send this back as my boat lives outside and it seems to rain on a daily basis.
So I would like to know if there is any way to treat a cover. The Nikwax cost me over $100 and I think it helped somewhat as the water does bead for a few minutes.
I just got back from a camping trip with my boy. We slept in a cheap Costco tent for 4 days and it rained and hailed. That cheap tent didn't leak at all and it cost $90. Why can't a boat cover be made like that?

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ask them to loan you one while they do the testing?

Gpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How big is your boat? I had the same problem with buying covers for mine, till I went to Tractor Supply about a month ago and bought a 10'x20' canopy kit. I got the main kit, the side enclosure kit, and an anchor kit for it for about $250 with tax. Depending on the height of yours you might not be able to use the end with the door, but it'll still work much better than a boat cover, and it's much easier too. I have an 18' runabout and it fits just fine. Best of all, it stood up to 50+ mph winds about a month ago in a bad storm we had come through.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That sucks man. I bought the cheapo wally world cover and that sucker works way better that I expected. It doesn't leak a bit and cost $80. Hopefully I'll get a full year out of it.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

How big is your boat? I had the same problem with buying covers for mine, till I went to Tractor Supply about a month ago and bought a 10'x20' canopy kit. I got the main kit, the side enclosure kit, and an anchor kit for it for about $250 with tax. Depending on the height of yours you might not be able to use the end with the door, but it'll still work much better than a boat cover, and it's much easier too. I have an 18' runabout and it fits just fine. Best of all, it stood up to 50+ mph winds about a month ago in a bad storm we had come through.

It gets too windy here for any type of temporary canopy or shelter. I had a 20 foot one and it was anchoedr to railway ties and into the ground with at least a dozen 3 foot pieces of rebar. The wind picked up the entire thing ties and all and threw it across my 1/2 acre yard into the garden.

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I have bought just about every boat cover there is. I could never get one to stay water proof more then (some less) then one season. 4 years ago I bought a PVC tarp made by Well made Wel-bilt and I would never go back to just a boat cover again. Here in Oregon it rains 9 months a year. I keep the tarp pulled tight but every now and then it pools up. Never had a leak, and the tarp is still good as new.

NOW, by using this kind of tarp you for sure what a couple of Dri-Z-Air in there. I change mine once a month. These things are a truly gold for keeping the mold out of your boat. They suck out all moisture. I wouldn't store a boat or anything with out these things.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't know what Nikwax is, but I've used 303 waterproofing on a canvas cover for years (renewing it each summer) and never had a water problem. Find it here: http://303products.com/.

There have been threads on this topic in past years, and as I recall, the writers were almost unanimous in agreement with using this stuff.

You make sure the cover is clean and spray it on until the material is virtually saturated. Takes four to five hours to dry to touch, but afterward the water beads and runs.

You can get a gallon for around $60 on-line.

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just bought a tarp at Agri Supply for $90.00, it's 12X24 and doesn't leak a nit. I couldn't find a boat tarp close to that price that worked. I paid $350.00 for 1 from here that is worthless. I'm going to end up with a carport.