Help! looking at a merc tommorow...

gofast26

Recruit
Hey guys, i need your help. Im looking at a, what i believe to be 1977 merc outboard. Its on a decent boat but is missing the control box with the key/choke/throttle. I would really love to try and fire the boat up tommorow. Is there any way of turning it over without that box? If anybody has any advice on what i should do to go about determining if this motor is worth it, could you please help me out. I appreciate the help.

Alex

Its a 65hp motor, for some reason i cant post a reply in a thread sorry guys.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help! looking at a merc tommorow...

If you know how to jump a solenoid you can start the engine. But you need to disconnect the fuel line to stop it. You will also need to run the throttle and choke by hand.

Jeff_G

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help! looking at a merc tommorow...

You didn't say what HP. Most of the larger inline motors had battery operated ignition, you can't just jump the solenoid to start them.
If the engine doesn't have a distributor then yes you can jump the solenoid to start it.
Use a starter switch from an auto supply and hook it to the yellow/red wire small terminal on the solenoid and the other to the large battery terminal on the solenoid. There will be a manual choke.