Bleeding rust in manifold-riser joints VP 5.7 OSXi-DF

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just found some bleeding rust at the joint between the exhaust manifold and the elbow risers, in the port engine...(STBD engine looks ok)

The boat is 6 seasons old, salt water 6-months of the year.

Twin Volvo Penta 5.7 OSXi-DF (factory-installed closed cooling).

Any suggestions? Should I separate the risers?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bleeding rust in manifold-riser joints VP 5.7 OSXi-DF

Any suggestions? Should I separate the risers?

Ayuh,... You can start there,...
Replacing the Whole Shebang is where you'll end up though....

You're Overdue...

Are the manifolds raw water, or on the fresh side,..??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Time to pull the risers, inspect the gasket surface to make sure it hasn't shrunk in size in the web between the water and exhaust port. If it's still good, put on the new style OEM gaskets and go boating. If that web has thinned down or become carbon and not metal, replace the manifolds and risers.
Closed cooling has nothing to do with the manifolds and risers on Volvo engines.

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... You can start there,...
Replacing the Whole Shebang is where you'll end up though....

You're Overdue...

Are the manifolds raw water, or on the fresh side,..??

How overdue? Is there a time interval in which the manifolds are due for change, or is it wear (or rust) related?

The manifolds exhaust the saltwater...hence the rust...

Thanks, and I'll post a picture of the joint surfaces to get your opinion on it...

Don S

There is no exact time, but when you start seeing rust tracking on the outside, you can bet money it's time to check the inside also.
After 5 years in salt, it's not a bad idea to pull the risers anually during winterization or anually at some point if you live where it doesn't get cold, and look at the wear on the passages. It will be very obvious.

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yikes! There is rust everywhere...but that's kind of expected?
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad237/fmrosell/DSCN1165.jpg?t=1269649562

There is no rust in the exhaust passages, they are nice and black...
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad237/fmrosell/DSCN1144.jpg?t=1269649644

There is rust in the bolt threads and the gasket was flat, but not worn or corroded.
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad237/fmrosell/DSCN1138.jpg?t=1269649683

Don S

Clean the gasket surface, then look at it. In your second picture, you are looking at the remains of the old gasket. Clean it up, then take a picture of the gasket surface.
From the looks of the other pictures, you have a very minor case of surface rust.
I could get the same thing by setting a brand new riser out in the rain for a couple days.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Amazingly clean for 6 years in Salt...

Riser looks to be clogging abit though...

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you...I am relieved. I just saw the rust in the joint ant figured something was amiss.
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad237/fmrosell/DSCN1139.jpg?t=1269651634

I did the joint cleaning on the manifold surfaces, and after getting rid of the rust, gave it a little Rust-oleum, into the passages....(I know, when it comes to salt water, "resistance is futile...")
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad237/fmrosell/DSCN1163.jpg?t=126965211d

But the metal looks good. I just saw the post on the gasket sealant question...I got the Volvo OEM kit and it goes on dry, after a sanding with 80-grit, according to the instructions. The surfaces look flat, although on gross inspection only.

Thank you gentlemen.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Since your using the old manifolds and risers a little permatex #2 won't hurt a damn thing...Good insurance

Don S

Since your using the old manifolds and risers a little permatex #2 won't hurt a damn thing...Good insurance

WRONG.......WRONG.........WRONG !!!!

You absolutely do not use any gasket sealer of any kind with the Volvo OEM gaskets. It even says so in the instructions that come with the gaskets.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

WHY??? And don't tell me because thats what volvo said

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You also want to get rid of the paint where the gasket sets. I suggest taking a nice fine flat file and hitting a few times to an even texture.

Don S

Well, to start with it's a metal shim gasket with a special coating on it. and in the instruction book it specifically states (In bold print) to not use sealer. See picture from instructions below.
Call me crazy, but I would rather do what Volvo (The designer of the gasket) says than what ENSIGN (member of a forum with unknown knowledge of the subect) says.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 0

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

The job is done, and instructions were followed to the letter.

1. surfaces was sanded with 80-grit sandpaper, with care to remove residue from manifold gas exhaust passages.
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad237/fmrosell/Riserust/DSCN1174.jpg?t=1269781604

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad237/fmrosell/Riserust/DSCN1173.jpg?t=1269781702

2. gakets were applied dry

3. Torque was set to 26-29 ft-lb, with clean threads and bolts, as instructions recommend...

The finished product...
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad237/fmrosell/Riserust/DSCN1180.jpg?t=1269781861

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Looks Great,....;)

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... Amazingly clean for 6 years in Salt...

Riser looks to be clogging abit though...

Now that I think about it...I use the Neutra-Salt flush system...

When I cleaned the water passages, the rust flakes had a sediment-rock-salt feel to them...maybe it's the salty residue left by the stuff...similar to what I found inside the raw-water side of the heat-exchanger...with chunks of the eroded pencil-anode...

Something to look out for, if you come across it.

Attachments

• heatex003.jpg
    heatex003.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Because the gasket IS the sealer, and what DON said....

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I'm bumping this old thread with hopefully a simple follow-up question. I've purchased this new-style Volvo gasket kit and am doing the exact same job right now on my 1999 Volvo 5.0 GL because I had to remove risers in order to pull rocker covers for a different project.

It all looks pretty simple/common sense. I have it torn apart, condition all looks similar to the pics shown in this thread...not excessively rusty. I chased all the threads with tap & die and cleaned 'em up pretty & smooth per instructions. Ready to assemble.

Just one question:

Volvo instructions recommend using a "spray-on gasket remover" to get the old gaskets of of the surfaces before block sanding with 80 grit. I don't have any "spray-on gasket remover."

Sooooo, tomorrow I planned to run to local auto parts store and see what I find. Before I go do that, can anyone recommend a specific product? One to avoid? An alternate recommendation INSTEAD of buying the spray-on stuff? It's hard for me to tell exactly what type of gasket is in there now...but it's definitely not the same as the new style. So I assume it is the original from 1999 assembly. It looks rather thin, silver-looking, it's on both surfaces, and it's stuck pretty good.

Volvo instructions recommend against mechanical scraping to avoid damaging surfaces.

Thank you in advance!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You should start a new thread and put a link to the old thread. I read through this entire thread before I came to your post thinking the whole thing was new.

Status
Not open for further replies.