Lowrance Fishfinders Junk?

bbrnhart

Cadet
I thought I'd Share a very lame response from Lowrance.

See following correspondence from Lowance. I have since bought a Garmin fishfinder mounted in the same place that tracks bottom at 30 plus MPH and 360' of water. I would never waste my money on Lowrance again. BTW the response from Lowrance took about three weeks which to me is also unacceptable.

I said to Lowrance:
Last year I bought a Lowrance X58DF Fish-Finder for better than $200.00 Right now I am looking at buying another fish-finder. I always thought that Lowrance was one of the top line for marine electronics. I am not even considering Lawrance this time around. I don't think I have ever been more dissatisfied in a product in my 55 yr. The finder will not hold bottom past about 100 ft and sometimes less in the saltwater of Puget Sound. We typically cruise around 18 MPH and I have perforated my transom with far to many holes trying to make it work better. I finally epoxied it inside the hull and it looses bottom the same way. With the price of fuel like it is this season I am cruising more at 8knots and I loose bottom at about 150 ft. There is nothing worse than coming up on a narrow channel and not knowing what the depth is. If it doesn't come back on it's own I have to come to about a stop before it will pick up bottom again.

Lowrance Responded Three Weeks Later:
Thank you for your inquiry. There are many different factors that can result in poor sonar. First check your transducer to make sure it is still intact, parallel to the bottom, and not scratched up or dirty. Check the plug for oxidation and check the cable to make sure it is not pinched or crimped. Make sure no other electronics are turned on and run the sonar unit by itself. Shut the main engine and trolling motor off so there is nothing that can interfere with the sonar.

This is the best way to troubleshoot to see if the problem is in the unit, transducer, or caused from an outside source. Be aware that stained water and water turbulence caused from boat movement, windy conditions or currents can also cause erratic results. If the problem persists you can try connecting the head unit to another Eagle or Lowrance transducer to determine the cause of your problem.

If we may be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you for choosing Lowrance Electronics.

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lowrance Fishfinders Junk?

Sounds like a canned response right out of the manual.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just exactly what did you do in trying to troubleshoot the Lowrance performance, BB? Sounds like all you did was move the xducer around.

What frequency and cone angle were the transducer? High speeds in deep water require wide angles and low frequencies.

What sort of response did you expect from Lowrance? You told them very little that would be useful. They gave you several useful suggestions. What did you do with those? Why did you write them a letter rather than getting online with live tech support?

I have been using Lowrance products for about 50 years and always been satisfied with performance when I used them appropriately and have always been satisfied (or more) when I sought technical assistance. I always did that online or by phone.

Garmins are good products. I consider Garmin the leader in GPS, but I still consider Lowrance the leader in sonar for fresh water use. Offshore I think I would have gone with a Furuno sonar.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

You might have to wait a little while but their live support is second to none. They have gone out of their way to solve problems for me that I created.

bbrnhart

Cadet

Lowrance was bought out a couple years ago. I found out that they are affiliated with Eagle which I believe to be a low end sonar. If you look at mine and Eagle you soon realize that mine is identical to the Eagle but with a different name on it. They are not the company they used to be.

I believe what I told them is that I put the transduser in many different positions to get rid of interferance (bubbles, electrical) I spoke with them several times on the phone. My phone conversations were their instructions to try different places. That is why I placed it around the boat in so many places. In my opinion they are taking no responsability for their product. I sent them an email to get their lame response in writing. When large corporate companies give their customers the cold shoulder, the cutomer needs to make that known to others or they continue to sell all of us shoddy products and do nothing but make more money at all of our expense.

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lowrance was bought out a couple years ago. I found out that they are affiliated with Eagle which I believe to be a low end sonar. If you look at mine and Eagle you soon realize that mine is identical to the Eagle but with a different name on it. They are not the company they used to be. .

For what it's worth, I've got a 15 year old Eagle sonar that works great.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

This is bad news to me. I was thinking on switching to Lowrance because of the troubles I have had with the Hummingbird Matrix.

I have tried the Matrix 10-12 and 29 (On different boats) and the same problem rises every time. These things just can't hold the bottom at any speed. I have also perforated my transom with relocation holes searching for the "perfect spot" to mount the transducer. It seems like nothing will work with these units. I also run in salt water in depths of less than 150 ft. I am totally disgusted. Funny thing. I had an old Humminbird 4ID which worked like a charm. I loved the unit.

So what now? Where do we go from here?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I have 1981 Lowrance unit and it works great. In the 26 years I owned the unit I had had one 20 degree transducer go intermitent. I replaced it with another 20 degree unit and also have a 8 degree transducer for deeper salt water.

Lowrance developed Sonar for the Navy and to my knowledge has never been bought out. Eagle is the same company as Lowrance same address. In the old days was only Lowrance and they sold to boat dealer and marine shops. Units shipped with out the transducer. The boat dealers and shops installed the units on boats. In later years place like Walmart wanted to sell depthfinders but they wanted the unit with the transducer so they did not have to know anything about the unit to sell it. They had no one to install the unit and wanted a cheaper price. At first lowrance was sending them the same unit till dealers started to complane that they were installing but paying a higher price so sales were very poor. That when Lowrance came out with the Eagle brand. Eagle uses many of the same casses but in general have less power and lower resolution. Today I think all the unit are sold to who ever wants to buy it. Eagle still cheaper but also very good units.

I do not see a X58DF is that last years model? The X59DF is 300 watts RMS and most times should work good out to about 187 feet of salt water at 200khz with a 20 degree transducer. The 50 khz unit should go much deeper with the 45 or 36 degree transducer.

Your unit could be defective or have a bad transducer, poor power connection, smashed transducer cable. If it was me I would send the whole thing to Lowrance and let them diag it.

How far below the hull did you mount the transducer?

What type hull is it Fiberglass, Aluminum with rivets, A stepped hull, deep V?

As Far as holes in the boat you should never need more than two to mount a transducer mounting plate, then all the holes Are drilled it the mountain plate not into the boat.

I guess one bad unit makes all Lowrance units junk but could also be a instellation problem.

In My book Lowrance is still top of the line for fresh water and shallow Saltwater and number 2 for deep saltwater. Furuno number 1, High power Lowrance and Garmin units very close second. 500 to 1000 watts RMS.

I will agree with you on one point and that is Lowrance has cut back Support too much but if you wait to talk to them they are very good.

Just my opinion.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

In My book Lowrance is still top of the line for fresh water and shallow Saltwater and number 2 for deep saltwater. Furuno number 1, High power Lowrance and Garmin units very close second. 500 to 1000 watts RMS.

You need to look at the digital technology being used by the new Furuno and Ray units. The abilty to adjust not only the gain, the output power and the ping rate in shallow water is the cats meow.

http://www.furuno.com/Furuno/Rooms/...Entity[OID[EE468AA0046D93408DD553DBF3ABF185]]

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As far as I know, Eagle was always a division of Lowrance.

I have never had a problem with Lowrance, Eagle or current humminbird models (matrix or later).

150ft of saltwater is on the very edge of the capability of that unit. Any error in the installation of the transducer will reduce the capability (assuming it is a 200khz ducer).

I have a Matrix 17 on one of my boats (just wanted a inexpensive unit for it). I have been very surprised by its performance in fresh and saltwater. In the salt off of cape cod, it has held bottom well up to 40 mph and depths to 95'. I currently have Ray on my other boat.

I too have found lowarance email support lacking. However, they are very good on the phone and have quickly turned around a bad product when needed (only had to use that once).

bbrnhart

Cadet

Bottom line is they were not able to make ammends in my situation. Umit was advertised to read depths upto 600 feet and it had trouble at 100 feet.

bbrnhart

Cadet

Lowrance developed Sonar for the Navy and to my knowledge has never been bought out.

I do not see a X58DF is that last years model?

Google: Sale of Lowrance Electronics

Tulsa-based Lowrance Electronics takeover clears antitrust stage
Journal Record, The (Oklahoma City), Feb 24, 2006 by Kirby Lee Davis
The sale of Lowrance Electronics has completed its antitrust stage.

In three filings Thursday with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Simrad Yachting of Egersund, Norway, updated details on its proposed $215 million buyout of Tulsa-based Lowrance.

It also noted the companies had completed waiting periods under the Norwegian Competition Act, the U.S. Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act and the German Act Against Restraints of Competition, receiving no challenges. Officials said that satisfied U.S. and foreign antitrust requirements.

I found out a few weeks after purchasing that the X58DF was on close-out. Probably never worked right so they discontinued it.

tommays

Admiral

A high quality sonar transducer is going to cost between 150 and 600 dollars + ?

And you still have to install it in the correct place to function correctly

Tommays

BF

Lieutenant

hopefully I don't sound too critical... I'm intending to be helpful (really!) But... I think in your letter to Lowrance, you didn't really give them an "out" of how to make you a satisfied customer (it already sounded too late for that). You already stated that you wouldn't consider another Lowrance... you could've asked them whether they'd consider giving you credit towards a higher end unit in their line up (?). But it sounds like you had already decided the unit is gonna come off, and won't be replaced with any of their products. So, I thought your note sounded a bit more like an angry rant than a request that they remedy the situation. It also sounds like it's out of the warranty period (not sure)... If it is under warranty, go through the claim process.... tell them it won't hold bottom.

Anyway, in my experience I've found I get the best customer service when 1) they think I still might be a customer of theirs in the future and 2) when they realize that several future purchases may depend on how happy they make me (e.g. me, family, friends, fishing buddies, club members etc). It gives them a reason to write off some $$$ to make it right.

I think there's a point in customer service when they think they've already lost you as a customer (or future customer) and therefore there's little motivation for them to try. Sometimes that's where we end up anyway no matter how many "outs" you give them to make amends.

Some of my worst experiences with customer service (e.g. car dealership service dept) happened because their screw up was so bad, that they knew I was so pi$$ed off that I'd never give them any business in the future. Therefore, why should they bother to try and make it right? (which really = them giving up $$)

That's just my $.02 FWIW

bbrnhart

Cadet

I think in your letter to Lowrance, you didn't really give them an "out" of how to make you a satisfied customer (it already sounded too late for that). You already stated that you wouldn't consider another Lowrance... you could've asked them whether they'd consider giving you credit towards a higher end unit in their line up (?). But it sounds like you had already decided the unit is gonna come off, and won't be replaced with any of their products. So, I thought your note sounded a bit more like an angry rant than a request that they remedy the situation.

I have been on the phone to them countless times and they keep telling me the same thing. Move it here, move it their, do this do that. They were given outs several times when I asked for credits and replacements. Truth be told the last communication was to tell them what I thought and to have a response to share with other would be purchasers.

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a relatively new Eagle 480 and it tracks well at my top speed of 45 mph. I bought the Eagle to save $50 from what appears to be the same unit under the Lowrance label.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

My friend has nothing but good things to say about his Lowrance. As a matter of fact, the first one he bought had a defective button panel. You could not zoom out then you couldn't zoom in or out.

He returned it to Lowrance and they sent him a brand new one. They didn't fix his old one, they gave him a brand new one. That was three seasons ago. Nothing but great things to say about Lowrance. I'm getting the same exact one. Model M68C fish finder/GPS combo.

64NHALF

Cadet

I am going to have to totally agree with "BF", I was looking on buying something, I got a quote, told the salesman that I would have to talk it over with my Financial adviser (the WIFE) later that night, while on my way home I though there is no $#@!^$(* way I was going to spend that much money. So I waited a few days and wrote the salesman a letter, basically saying that I thought his product was over priced (but in a very nice way) and even though the product was of the highest quality that we were not going to be able to make the purchase any time soon, but maybe in the future. Well a day later I got a response back from the salesman stating that corporate was so impressed with my kind note that he said they would authorize a discount of an additional $600. :eek: So in a nut shell if you respond nicely to others maybe just maybe there is that chance that it will be returned to you.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

bbrnhart

If Lowrance said up to 600 ft that means 75 feet in salt water. I always divide 8 to get real numbers. What the manual says is.

"800 feet (244 meters) at 200 kHz; 1500 feet
(450 meters) at 50 kHz (X58DF only). Actual
capability depends on transducer configuration
and installation, bottom composition and
water conditions. All sonar units typically
read deeper in fresh water than in salt water."

What that really means if if you go to lake Tahoe a lake where you can see 60 deep with the eye, has no salt, no alge, no Silt, most of the time not much air form wave action then you can see a hard flat rock at 800 feet. For real expectitations devide by 8. A big hard rock in clear water returns a strong signal. Take the unit in dense salt water with mud sand or silt bottom, with alge, Plankton, lot of air form waves hitting the beach and try and see a fish built like a Stealth fighter best you can hope for is 100 feet with that unit. Your unit is working as designed.

Another thing Lowrance and Eagle do is saytransducer cone up to 60 degrees when they are using a 20 degree transducer. That statment is true but very missleading.

Your X58 DF has a narrow cone angle. The 200 Khz is 12 degrees instead of the normal 20 degrees and the 50 KHZ is 36 degrees instead of the standard 45 degrees. Still only has 188 watts of RMS power. A good Saltwater ynit should have at least 500 watts RMS or 4000 Watts PeP.

Buy a Garmin with the same power and you will see the same results.

BF

Lieutenant

I have been on the phone to them countless times and they keep telling me the same thing. Move it here, move it their, do this do that. They were given outs several times when I asked for credits and replacements. Truth be told the last communication was to tell them what I thought and to have a response to share with other would be purchasers.

I missed the history of you're dealing with customer service from your post, but I hear ya... like I said before, sometimes these things don't always end up good... hopefully your Garmin works out for you. Good luck!