Big wooden boat project [Splashed Sept 2017]

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Dang those old Chryslers make a good wake. Sharp boat Ned. So glad to see a old boat saved and not kicked to the curb. You just don't see classics roaming the waterways down here. Flat love it.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hmmm,.... looks like maybe I should keep this thread going for a while rather than closing it out?

Yep, I'm even pretty pleased with the 60 yr old engines so far.

Yes, Ned.... could you take some youtube video for us? Or, did I miss it?

I would love to hear this old girl running!

Ned L

Commander
I might have posted this a long time ago here. This is the stbd engine running in the yard.

We'll see about some videos of the boat underway (from aboard, haven't figured out how I can see her from a distance yet.) Hmm, Someone have a drone to loan?? lol

OK, Micky I'll see if I can find things to keep posting

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ned, I haven't read through your entire thread (yet), but what I have read is impressive to say the least. You should be extremely proud of you project refurbishing. I have to admit, I love bringing older things back to life. But I am not sure I could have accomplished anything so majestic as you've done. Bravo sir, Bravo!

If you can't get a drone to follow you out, how about another boat along side for a great video? :noidea:

Ned L

Commander
Thank you everyone. I'll have to say, four years ago if anyone said I would have a good condition, 1957 33' cedar on oak Jersey sea skiff that was built within 25 miles of were I grew up I never would have believed them. :)

Yes, I'll have to get someone to take pictures or a video of her underway. It's't the only way I'll ever see her.

SOG3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just curious Ned,what type of drive are those engines turning ?

Pusher

Lieutenant
I second everyone. You take a different approach than weekend warriors like myself. Please keep it coming! :)

Ned L

Commander
Just curious Ned,what type of drive are those engines turning ?

Hmmm,...... not quite sure what you mean by "what type of drive". The engines are straight inboards. The engines are coupled to mechanical reverse gears (which have hydraulic slave shift cylinders on them for cable shifting). The reverse gears have reduction gears on the back of them, haven't figured out the reduction ratio yet. The reduction gears are coupled to the prop shafts through rzappa type flexible couplings. The prop shafts pass through the bottom of the boat through traditional bronze stuffing boxes (with flax packing) and bronze shaft logs. Then on the outside there are both whip struts and main struts before the three blade 16x15 props.
Does this answer your question?

Ned L

Commander
I second everyone. You take a different approach than weekend warriors like myself. Please keep it coming! :)

Not sure what my different approach is,...but thank you. (I think???? Lol).

I was out for about three hours today. Other than what is turning into an irritating generator issue on the engines I couldn't be much happier with how things are. I took some videos that I'll see about posting this wee. Planning on being back out tomorrow.

SOG3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hmmm,...... not quite sure what you mean by "what type of drive". The engines are straight inboards. The engines are coupled to mechanical reverse gears (which have hydraulic slave shift cylinders on them for cable shifting). The reverse gears have reduction gears on the back of them, haven't figured out the reduction ratio yet. The reduction gears are coupled to the prop shafts through rzappa type flexible couplings. The prop shafts pass through the bottom of the boat through traditional bronze stuffing boxes (with flax packing) and bronze shaft logs. Then on the outside there are both whip struts and main struts before the three blade 16x15 props.
Does this answer your question?
I guess I was asking if the engines were connected to a transmission of some kind , to be able to reverse.You've answered my question anyway.Thanks !

Ned L

Commander
Other than the generator glitch that is ongoing things are still looking good. On Saturday I took the boat out for a couple of hours. I went poking in around Watch Hill R.I. I suppose It's not every boat that has the owner of "Aphrodite" give a whistle and scramble off his boat and out to the end of a finger pier to look and 'talk boats' for ten minutes or so. Here is Aphrodite a little bit later in the afternoon as they were passing me on the way somewhere.

enhance

Aphrodite is a 1937 Purdy commuter built on Western Long Island.

OK, .............. in answer to some requests, I took a couple of short videos for evreyone.

This one is just poking along nicely at about 1500RPM.