Big wooden boat project [Splashed Sept 2017]

Ned L

Commander
Thanks for the complements. :D

This weekend I got some of her 'pretty stuff' put back on (the military mast, the navy top (bimini for you 'new' people lol), and the side canvas dodgers), and some of the 'must have stuff', like the reg. #'s. I think she's a pretty good looking boat

enhance

Now that she has been in the water for a few days I took her on a real short little trip down the river a bit just to say I did.

enhance

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ned,
How is the water situation? Swelled and all sealed up now? Gorgeous!

rad1026

Chief Petty Officer
Beautiful Ned! Your hard work and dedication will bring lots of good times. Thanks for sharing along the way. What a journey. Cheers to you!

Ned L

Commander
Ned,
How is the water situation? Swelled and all sealed up now? Gorgeous!

She is still settling down a bit as far as swelling up is concerned (as dry as she is I'd count on two weeks or so before things are. completely set). As of now the bilge pump comes on about once an hour, which quite frankly isn't bad. I have never expected 'dry' bilges. Back when boats were wood that wouldn't be considered bad for a boat half her age.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Definitely a show piece Ned. :) she's looking real sharp. You couldn't tell it was "old" except for the classy lines and curves of a time when designers were also artists.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
gawd dang that is so beautiful i got misty eyed seeing her in the water, not even gonna lie! i know the feeling you had when you backed her in , its the greatest feeling in the world, great job and looking forward to seeing many posts of the small things!

Ned L

Commander
Thanks guys,..... Yes, it was pretty satisfying.

(Oh,....... P.S. There was no 'backing a trailer in'. She is was picked up off the trailer with a Travel Lift and simply lowered into the water.)

Ohhh,...... and it is nice to be sleeping aboard a boat again. I spent three nights aboard in the first week. :D

Last edited:

chevymaher

Commander
Good job and great looking. I had to go back a page to see her in the water. I even took the computer and showed my wife. Told her wow he has the old time ship building skills. Congrats on a job well done.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Thanks guys,..... Yes, it was pretty satisfying.

(Oh,....... P.S. There was no 'backing a trailer in'. She is was picked up off the trailer with a Travel Lift and simply lowered into the water.)

Ohhh,...... and it is nice to be sleeping aboard a boat again. I spent three nights aboard in the first week. :D
I was referrin to the slip but ya that's cool too :) after watching some youtube videos those slings scare the hell out of me lol

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No Title

I was referrin to the slip but ya that's cool too :) after watching some youtube videos those slings scare the hell out of me lol

​we replace the slings up here when they show enough wear to be questionable. 150 ton lift, picking up big stuff!

Attachments

• photo272570.jpg
    photo272570.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo272571.jpg
    photo272571.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 0
  • photo272572.jpg
    photo272572.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo272573.jpg
    photo272573.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 0

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Their use must be questionable; why else would Naval Facilities Engineering Command blocked the use of one at New London MWR marina for the last ten years?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Their use must be questionable; why else would Naval Facilities Engineering Command blocked the use of one at New London MWR marina for the last ten years?

​They blocked the use of slings? News to me, we have the lift inspected every year, along with the slings, if something don't pass, it's fixed immediately. Could be a government thing with the lift? We never had a failure, or dropped a boat in the 10 years I've been running it, and never heard of any at our facility.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Slings are fine as long as they are maintained. Nothing else aboiut it. They have some serious ratings.

Ned L

Commander
Unfortunately there really are very few yards with marine railways today. You can probably count the railways between Maine and New Jersey on one hand. Travel lifts have been the standard for decades. (To bad, because wooden boats really don't like them.)

Had a nice afternoon out on her today.

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We built the marina and travelift ways instead of hiring NAVFAC and had to get operating permits for the travelift from them. No matter how much we spent meeting their requirements, they kept asking for more and refusing the permit. Wasted the cost of construction and the cost of the travelift and operator training, etc. Political price paid in Sailor's dollars. One of the more expensive ones!