Big Stuff towing

Old Fish

Seaman Apprentice
Where do you get a trailer for and what do you tow a 36' Gibson houseboat with? Not going long distance just rehabbing.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Big Stuff towing

Where do you get a trailer for and what do you tow a 36' Gibson houseboat with? Not going long distance just rehabbing.

Ayuh,.... How far is not far,..??

Is it bein' pulled from the water by a travel lift at a marina,..??

Call some local big boat hauler's....

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Contact dealer or marina that sells and or services boats like that. They will have a list of haulers they use.

Old Fish

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.... How far is not far,..??

Is it bein' pulled from the water by a travel lift at a marina,..??

Call some local big boat hauler's....

Yeah that's one way. No lifts on this lake. Seen the really big ones 60+ go in at one of the ramps. But like doing things myself if possible. Maybe just into the storage park depending on price.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

First question is "what's it weight?". After they it should be easy to select a trailer and tow vehicle.
However, if you're only doing this once I'd just pay someone to do it. Renting (not likely) or buying a trailer will be expensive. If you don't have a dually truck or larger you will likely need one of those too. They don't come cheap either.

Old Fish

Seaman Apprentice

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I see houseboat trailers on craigs list every couple months... usually in the $3500 range

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Most of the work done on boats like that are done in a marina with a large boat lift. They'll move the boat onto a cradle, and you do the work on their lot. When completed, they'll put it back in the water for you.

You can find boat transporters around Lake Lanier, but their services come at a high price. To take such a boat to another lake, you'd have to remove the flying bridge, and things are just not simple.

There's no moving such a huge piece on a trailer without proper equipment, proper licensing and proper insurance. It's just beyond the scope of an individual.

But as low as Lake Lanier has been over the years, I cannot blame anyone for moving their houseboats to another lake with stable water levels.

Old Fish

Seaman Apprentice

Most of the work done on boats like that are done in a marina with a large boat lift. They'll move the boat onto a cradle, and you do the work on their lot. When completed, they'll put it back in the water for you.

You can find boat transporters around Lake Lanier, but their services come at a high price. To take such a boat to another lake, you'd have to remove the flying bridge, and things are just not simple.

There's no moving such a huge piece on a trailer without proper equipment, proper licensing and proper insurance. It's just beyond the scope of an individual.

But as low as Lake Lanier has been over the years, I cannot blame anyone for moving their houseboats to another lake with stable water levels.

Not moving to another lake. Don't think any lifts like that on Lake Alatoona. And pretty sure rates for the lot storage is high. Just want a place to rehab. and away to get there.