Bennett Trim Repair And Auto Pro Install

alldodge

Staff member
Just a bit more info waiting on something from Bennett before I do anything.

In post 51 I wrote:

The ATP has a built in gyro, accelerometer and electronic compass and statement says it can be mounted in any orientation. With the helm cable being 25 feet long, it looks like I will be placing it in the engine room. What makes matters worst the cable that connects the pump to the ATP (in my case) is only about 4 feet, so now it will probably be over on the starboard side.

So went down and took some pics of the location and showing it is not orientated horizontal nor inline with the keel as the latest online version of the manual states

Photo1487.jpg
Photo1488.jpg

I have room to place it behind the trim pump, but in order to do that I have to take the exhaust off "AGAIN" to have enough room to get in there.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm going thru the online manual and still see the angle setup page 24

The idle angle should be set in calm water with the trim tabs fully retracted, and the vessel idling at a fast idle speed, usually about 1500rpm- 2000rpm. The boat should be throwing the largest wake that would be acceptable in a NO WAKE zone.

There is NO acceptable wake in a no wake zone, my idle speed is 800 rpm max. If I had my Rinker doing 1500 rpms, I would get a ticket, if I used my Formula at 1500 I would get a bigger ticket. If this is correct, then it needs to be labeled something like fast idle for inter coastal water way.

This is getting really bad, my original manual does not match the one that came with the controller, and the one online is also another variation. This is in order according to manuals, time indicated is least time, can be more

Original manual
Sun+All up = At Rest 5 sec
Sun+FAV1 = Acceleration 10 sec
Moon+FAV1= Angle Idle no wake 5 sec
Moon+FAV2= Planning Angle 5 sec

New manual
Sun+All up = at rest 3 Sec
Sun+FAV1 = Acceleration 3 sec
Moon+All UP= At Rest 3 sec
Moon+FAV1= Angle Idle no wake 10-15 sec
Moon+FAV2= Planning Angle 5 Sec

Online manual
Moon+All UP= At Rest 3 sec
Moon+FAV1= Angle Idle no wake 10-15 sec
Moon+FAV2= Planning Angle 5 Sec
Does not use Sun buttons nor is there an acceleration mode

Which one is right??????????????????????

alldodge

Staff member
I called and talked to the tech today. After much conversation, the previous online manual that showed up was the older version of the manual. The one found when looking now is the latest and was the same one I started with. The one that came with the last unit had some issues.

In any case, he wanted me on the boat to test. Got the boat out in the water and called back. So we did the at rest cal 2 times. Next tried the acceleration, and it didn't go so well.

Held SUN+FAV1 for 5 seconds and at 4 seconds got 2 flashes. Released buttons and throttled up, was on plane in about 3 seconds, eased up on throttles a bit, staying in a straight line and it flashed twice, so thought we were good. Kept watching and it flashed twice again. Slowed to stop and ever 5 seconds got 2 flashes, would not stop.

Turned motor OFF, tuned battery switch OFF then back ON. No more flashing and tried acceleration again, and could not get the second set of flashes. Tried several times and no luck.

Tried setting FAV1 and FAV2 at different times and sometimes it would work but not always. Started to think the issue is since it does not know acceleration, it doesn't know when the boat is moving. Tech said he would call me back, well that was at 11:30 and guess maybe tomorrow.

In any case looks like my latest unit has another issue. Will say, I never saw this one before

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Dang, AD. you should be on the payroll for R&D for these guys. You are a more patient fellow than I... I would have chucked those things a long time ago.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm willing to work thru the issues but do agree this is getting old.
I cut a bigger hole to install the buttons so I cannot go back without make some kind of repair.

Did get an email this morning, saying the engineer things the control went out again. They received my old one sometime today. Bennett want's to test the old one before doing anything next. Did find out out of all the ones I sent back there was only oneso far that did not test good on return, but they have not tested the last one yet

Sure hope I get a resolution before I have to winterize

alldodge

Staff member
The first one I replaced I returned the the controller with the negative terminal lug installed to make connections, also tip tied everything up nice. The positive terminal has a fuse holder with a fairly cheap plastic snap cover which goes over the fuse. So I never change out the Hot side lug, just swap one end of the fuse holder.

Everyone after that, I just cut the negative lead with about 3 inches from the lug, then strip the end and use a wire nut, and only 1 or 2 wire ties to keep things from flopping around. If we get it working, I'll redo everything much cleaner

alldodge

Staff member
Well called again on Friday the 7th and there was some conversation. Tech wants to replace the cable and display (the display is the switch panel). Willing to do anything to work this out, not sure I agree, because unit will not recognize acceleration but does recognize when buttons are pressed and responds with flashes.

In any case, tech says he needs to talk to Doug (engineer) but he is not there. Called again Monday about 1PM EST and Doug is not there, called again today after 1230 EST and could not get though to tech. Left a message for him that I called. Its now 8PM EST and still nothing, will try again tomorrow.

Think they are stalling hoping I'll go away

alldodge

Staff member
Made another call today and was told that it will be shipping out today. The thing that makes me wonder is, according to the tracking number, it was picked up at 4:18 PM and I called about 2PM. Starting to thing that somebody might be waiting until I call for anything to happen. History, called last Friday, then Monday, then Wednesday, now Friday and something is going to happen

Sending me a cable and display (Buttons) and just replaced display last time.

Did go out today and tried the acceleration again, it flashed during holding the 5 seconds as before. Throttled up and no other flashes. Used FAV1 and after a short time I started noticing the tabs where being operated. Was applying more then I wanted but not bad so left alone. Started to slow down and tabs started going down (this is good) but without slowing much I throttled back up, and the tabs went down further. Was on plane with tabs way to far down and they would not come back up, so I pressed ALL UP.

After all up and crusing again, pressed FAV1 again, and tabs did nothing. Came to place for anchor and slowed, tabs still did nothing and FAV1 still lit. There appears to be no rime or reason to what happens with ATP

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
breathe.gif

alldodge

Staff member
There is another guy on THT which installed these on his 26 ft cobalt and there doing the same thing. He has moved the control until to several locations trying different angles and there still not working, or when they do work, all at once the tabs go full down.

I need to go back and do some more testing but its raining and my back is talking to me. so maybe tomorrow

alldodge

Staff member
When is it time to ask for a refund?

It may come to that, but I will still have the larger hole at the helm. Right now, I'm real close to calling it quits because all its doing is costing more money every time I send the same dang units back again, and again. I hind sight I should have just added the auto retract an not the auto trim

alldodge

Staff member
Some good news, sort of
Did some more testing today, and the unit started working as advertised. Tabs went down went taking off and slowing down. As I turned the helm the tabs compensated for some of the roll. Stopped and restarted 4 times going out.

Stopped and had a couple beers and enjoyed the sun.

Headed back and all good until halfway back and slowed to stop, then took off and the tabs came up, then 10 seconds later went back down. Drove it that way for a little bit then push all up, and tabs came up. Still cruising pressed FAV1 again and tabs started working, slowed and stopped, then took off again, and it worked correctly the rest of the way back.

Still don't like the full down tabs, and don't know why it did it the one time, but if it does it once it can do it again. Almost the end of the season and will need to pull it out soon do to water level going down. The ATP does come with 2 year warranty so could be I'll be back at this again next year.

Time will tell

alldodge

Staff member
Found out that the warranty is for 3 years and starts when the last shipment is sent. So guess I have until this time 2021

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you probably wont own the boat any longer in '21