bayliner bowrider rebuild

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: bayliner bowrider rebuild

Man you sure are tearing into that glass. Looks like some seriously tough work grinding it all down. Looking at the picture those cracks look to me like stress cracks in the gel coat.

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ya a lot of itchy grinding, 2 of us one full day. thanks for input on the cracks. a little nerves on grinding into the hull :nevreness:

azmav

Seaman

View attachment 201138View attachment 201141 are these just gell cracks. Do i repair them like it says in the sticky's. Hope everyone had a good weekend.

On the stress cracks, the random patterns are often stress if I remember right, and the star patterns are where a hit or specific load was applied. That set near the port, lower corner of the cutout looks almost like something closer to a star pattern, might want to take a closer look.

Bayliner (32).jpg

I had an area here that looked like a star and I was hoping didn't go through, once I sanded from the inside, I found the whole area to be flaky, sanded through it to try and get to good glass, and went all the way though to gel coat so there is one hole that need to be repaired. Of course now that I know better what to look for, the picture is more obvious to me as a possible hole. Yours does not look that bad but peace of mind is worth taking a close look at it, you can always build it back out.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Your right about the cracks. There are 2 types of damage Contact and Induced. Contact will always have a definite area of crushing damage in the center with radiating cracks outward. Induced damage can be from an impact that is transfered by twisting from an impact elsewhere. The cracks in chev's transom looks like they were induced by the transom not giving adequate support.

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the info i will have a good look inside before i put the new transom in.The old one was compost up to the middle holes.

Jayboat66

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I like your boat!!! very nice job with the stringers. You are not far from me, I am in Lansing, MI. I did not know Advance fiberglass. I buy my resin from Fiberglass supply depot (140.00 US dollars) for 4 gal. including shipping. I have to look into "Advance". THANKS

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well its been a while since i posted last. Boat work has been at a stand still, to much going on.Finally got to work on it this past week or so. So here is some pics of the progress.WP_000686.jpgWP_000756.jpgWP_000757.jpg
got the stringers filleted in transom in and glassed both.
question i did the layups yesterday and went out tonight when i got home and it is dry to the touch, i didn't add any surfacing agent to it just mekp, so shouldn't it stay sticky.
Question #2 can i just wipe it down and put on the next layer of 1708?
Question#3 when i go to put the deck down do i glue it and screws, or pb it and screws or no screws at all. I have a couple of tubes of PL 4000 glue, was thinking of using that just didn't know if it would stick to the glass on the stringers and was planning on painting the underside of the floor and glassing the top. Hope everyone had a fun and safe weekend

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry forgot to take pics of the transom and stringers after they were glassed. will take them tomorrow.

RufNutt

Cadet

Check with your border town. There is always someone there in the bordertown with a storefront that runs a mailbox and shipping business out the back for Canadians. This way you cross the border pay the person like 2 bucks for up to 10 lbs and so on. Then you go to your border pay the taxes and you are on your way
thanks for the list of materials. I called today to order materials from us composite and the won't ship poly resin because it is considered haz mat over the border:mad-new:. So i called and talked to customs and i can bring it over my self just cant ship it over, it has to do with shipping company's polices. So i guess i have to try and find a supplier in Michigan because its $65 a gallon here :facepalm:. got a little progress done on the boat. stringers cut and started on transom cutouts. I will try to get some pics up over the weekend enjoy your weekend, its my sons birthday on saturday so probly no boat work this weekend.

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well its been a while for up dates, works been slow, went on vacation, getting my son ready for school and family members cars keep breaking and mine also has kept me busy,and away from the boat. The dream of having it in the water this season is not looking good. Anyway a few pics.WP_000760.jpgWP_000762.jpgWP_000763.jpgWP_000764.jpgWP_000765.jpg stringers glassed,floor in and pb.

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WP_000766.jpgWP_000797.jpgWP_000729.jpgWP_000784.jpg a few more. floor tabbed and foamed. my son and his freind at the safari and the cabin we stayed at this last vaction trip before back to school. Im getting ready to glass the ski locker and looking for tips to lay the glass because i have had a hard time to get it to go around inside or outside corners. should i use csm or 1708. Im going to use 2 layers of csm and 6 oz roven for the floor, do i wait and put the roven down after i tab the seats in so i get a better finish when i paint the floor?

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

any ideas about the fiberglass for the floor please.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

What part of the locker are you worried about glassing? The edges that form the hole of the ski locker? In other words, are you worried about the fiberglass laying over the deck and then making a turn over the edge of the wood where the ski locker hole is cut out? I'm struggling a bit to understand what you're trying to do...

I found the key to getting glass to lay over a radius was to make sure the bend wasn't too sharp (edges should be rounded or routered), make sure the resin is good and tacky before you lay the glass it it, and be prepared to fuss over it for quite some time as it sets.

Jim

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If in fact it is the ski locker and you don't want to round the edges you can "Tear" the CSM edges and the "Hairy" edges will be easy to lay over the edges of the plywood. I also helps to use cheap Chip Brushes and cut 1/2 the bristles off to make em a bit stiffer and then "Dab" the resin on NOT brush. As JasinIL2006 states Timing and Fussing also helps a lot too!!!!:D

Speak

Chief Petty Officer

Looks really nice man. I have same boat but with an OMC drive. Im right in the middle of the exact same work. Your further along than I am. Im just in the middle of mocking up my transom and stringers. Cant wait to be at the stage you are. Keep on posting!

cheers,
Stu