my 14 ft starcraft holiday(with a buncha pics)

andymcd75

Cadet
Re: my 14 ft starcraft holiday(w/pics)

thanks for all the encouraging words guys, now some questions for you starcraft experts

the only damage besides a rotten transom is a big ole dent kinda hard to see in this pic
picture.php

i have quite a bit of body work experiance but none working on aluminium so can i use a dolly and hammer to bump this out or is there some other way to do it?

my steering cables are rusty
picture.php

they need replacing anything special about them or can i use the galvinised vinyl covered cabling from home despot?

i have never worked on an outboard before, i can tear apart an old aircooled vw engine in a flash.
picture.php

any of you fine folks from the louisville ky area know of a good outboard mechanic?

and lastly anyone know wth was mounted here with the three rusty bolts
picture.php

bananaboater

Ensign

We all have mystery holes in our transoms. Get that iron out first then you can begin to decide how to proceed, lots of options. Those phillips head screws are not what my Jet has. Simple slotted aluminum truss head screws. Could be yours have already been replaced once.

You are well ahead of me with the VW engine experience. If I have a problem it is off the the wrench man.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Those 3 screws could have been for a kicker motor mounting bracket.

I'm clueless on aluminum bodywork

I'd upgrade that steering to the modern single cable type. The steering systems are surprisinly reasonable. Only thing is your motor doesn't appear to have a steering tube so you'd need an adapter. Here's an example of the adapter http://www.nicksoutboardmarine.com/steeringpg6.html (scroll down till you see "#EG-LPK Fresh Water Kit"). It would be ideal if you could find one of those adapters used somewhere.

andymcd75

Cadet

well i got one problem out of the way amazingly no company makes a class ii hitch for old vw buses what nerve, luckily for me i have an uncle who owns a machine/metal shop.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

i am pretty sure this will tow the hell out of my boat woohoo

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: my 14 ft starcraft holiday(with a buncha pics)

:eek:

Sweet!

How do you put the hitch pin in?

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

darn beat me too it . I was going to ask the same thing..

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Shoot man, that thing looks so cool and seamless the hitch will WANT to hold on all by itself!!!!:D:D

(I bet he says that he just reaches behind the bumper and slides it in)

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Whats up with the motor? They are really pretty easy to work on.

andymcd75

Cadet

you can get to it easy from above or below, only thing i forgot was loops for the tow chains doh!:mad: oh well it is only prototype number one

Huron Angler

Admiral

you can get to it easy from above or below, only thing i forgot was loops for the tow chains doh!:mad: oh well it is only prototype number one

That is some nice work on the hitch receiver there...buy that man a beer:D

One other thing...the trailer lights wiring? My buddy is converting a Cavalier into a tow vehicle for a little tin can and that's the biggest hassle.

Also I was wondering, is that VW a diesel? What's the tow rating? (Just curious...I'm sure it will pull the Holiday with no problem)

I noticed in the brochure for '78 that the 14' Holiday was rated for 55hp, I wonder what the difference in the ratings is based on.

andymcd75

Cadet

nope not a diesel just a 1700cc 4cylinder with a staggering 63 hp, the tow rating for the bus is around 2000 pounds i wont be breaking any speed records lol

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

nope not a diesel just a 1700cc 4cylinder with a staggering 63 hp, the tow rating for the bus is around 2000 pounds i wont be breaking any speed records lol

It's all good Andy, just have a lite breakfast and think streamlined thoughts when you are towing her. Your set up will naturally look pretty fast due to the color.

Cheers!

andymcd75

Cadet

:D lol i have lots of stickers on the bus they add at least 10hp

and this guy adds 5 hp at least
picture.php

Huron Angler

Admiral

Reminds me of my '87 2.5L inline 4 AMC Jeep...about 100hp:D

Great tow vehicles(for aluminum boats or pop-up campers;))

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Stickers, schmickers, everyone knows flames add 15 hp.

Looking good bro.

andymcd75

Cadet

thanks for all the kind words on the hitch guys, im pretty sure an old boat is like an old vw if you cant find it you might as well make it yourself lol. well good news had an impromptu leak test yesterday since the kids took the cover off the boat and it rained like crazy but no leaks woohoo