Battery Brands and type (The Truth is out there!)

raekmike

Seaman
Sorry if I ramble on here...
Everybody obviously has their opinions but...
Here are some facts. Trust me I sell them. I also use and maintain about 10 group 27 deep cycles for the boat and camper ranging from 1 to 6 years old.
There are basically 3 manufacturers that make batteries. Delphi (AC Delco). Exide (Exide, Champion, Napa). and Johnson Controls(The rest i.e. Interstate-yes Interstate, as well as Optima, Die Hard, Motorcraft, Kirkland the Costco Brand, Duralast, Energizer, Eveready, and most of the Everstarts the ones from Walmart.
I've noticed alot of talk about different brands and types and opinions on all here on iboats. By the way this place is great and alot of great stuff here guys-thanks-.
All opinions aside, everyone needs to realize its how you take care of your batteries such as never letting them sit with less than a full charge except on your way home from the water. GET EM CHARGED AS SOON AS THE BOAT IS HOME OR MOORED!!! If it's offseason top em off bi-weekly or have a battery tender do the work for you.
MISCONCEPTIONS....
Cranking amps. The bigger the motor the more cranking amps you need. FALSE partially. Higher compression motors need more cranking amps than low compression motors. This does not necessarily mean the bigger the motor the more cca you need. V8's usually run lower compression than the more high tech newer 2, 3, 4, and 6 cylinders.
Your basic group 27 deep cycle will give you typically 750 cranking amps and 600 cold cranking. Thats at 32 and 0 degrees f. This of course varies somewhat on brand but not much.
If you are using strictly a starting battery and not a starting/deep cycle for your starting battery, you could be looking at trouble eventually. The thinner plates of the starting only batteries have a great first birst of power BUT how many times have you seen boats after their launched trying to get started for several minutes? especially opening day? Hmm? You'll have alot more cranking time with the Deep cycle if you have any issues getting your stuff started. 500 to 600 cca is plenty to start most any motor with exception to high performance built stuff.
Ok sorry all I don't mean to pick on the optima's here cause they look so good, BUT...the advertising is very misleading. Twice the life does not mean it runs your trolling motor twice as long. What it means is....In their opinion it should go through twice as many re-charging cycles as a standard lead acid type battery. And again yes they look cool and don't leak. Perfect battery for a jet sled slamming rocks on the river and such. The yellow top and the Blue top are exactly the same battery except for the connectors. Yellow for Automotive and blue for Marine. Yellow has top posts and side mounts for G.M. products. The blue top has top posts and screw on wingnuts for Marine use and accesories. Both batteries have 55 yes 55 amp hours compared to 115 amp hours typically found in a group 27 standard lead acid battery such as the ones i use from COSTCO. Does this mean you can troll twice as long on a standard battery? Why yes it absolutely does. Did i believe it? No. Did I test it? Yes. Do I belive now? Absolutely! Unless you have a very specific application where you would need a sealed battery, Do not spend the money on an optima to look cool with your friends. Buy 2 standard group 27's and stay on the water catching fish for 4 times as long with the 2. But pack a big cooler and a lunch cause you won't be going back to the truck till dark.
Battery Chargers:.....If your in the market for one still. I would highly recommend one that has a desulfate feature which reconditions the battery. Sounds like hocus pocus but I've brought many a battery back from just about death to near new condition by using this. It breaks up the buildup on the plates that happens over time and allow the battery to accept a full or near full charge like it did when it was new. I use a husky that I purchased at Home Depot for around 60 or 70 bucks and its a 20/10/2 charger to boot.
Bottom line is.. Keep goin with the brand of batteries you like (cause most are the same lol) and just keep em charged and take care of your sh*t) Personally look for the best price with the best warranty. My bets have always been at Costco for price and warranty, but choose for yourself...
One Last Thing... DO NOT EVER BUY ANY BOAT BATTERY OR PART FROM SOMEONE WHO MAKES A COMMISION. PLEASE PEOPLE PLEASE!!!

Attachments

• duel batt.jpg
    duel batt.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 2
  • troller.jpg
    troller.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 2
  • night lights.jpg
    night lights.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Battery Brands and type (The Truth is out there!)

Good info. Thanks. :)

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

i was wondering where you get a group 27 battery with 115 amp hours?
are you sure your not comparing amp hours with reserve time?

to answer my own question i found the maxx-29 at wall mart this morning and it has a clame of 125 ah and 205 reserve cap.

Last edited:

cigar_stub

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That was a wake up call. I never charge after coming back from the lake, usually doing so the night before I leave again.

If I do charge them when coming back how long with they stay fully charged? If I charge up the batteries, but don't use the boat for 2 weeks, will they still be fully charged or should I top them off by plugging back in?

One other thing about batteries. Is there any problem if they are sitting in a bit of water. I have noticed both the the trolling motor batteries sit in plastic trays that keep them in place, with velcro straps around tops. But I do notice that some water sits in the bottom of the tray. Is this a problem? I've thought about drilling a couple of drain holes to let the water run out.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If I do charge them when coming back how long with they stay fully charged? If I charge up the batteries, but don't use the boat for 2 weeks, will they still be fully charged or should I top them off by plugging back in?
Get a maintenance charger, plug in when you get back and unplug when you leave. No more worrying about state of charge.
One other thing about batteries. Is there any problem if they are sitting in a bit of water. I have noticed both the the trolling motor batteries sit in plastic trays that keep them in place, with velcro straps around tops. But I do notice that some water sits in the bottom of the tray. Is this a problem? I've thought about drilling a couple of drain holes to let the water run out.
No the water will not make a difference. You oughta put the drain holes in anyway just to keep crud from building up.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's the factory site, gotta find a dealer for prices. Optima's are AGM batteries so their capacities are going to be less than a flooded cell. Be sure to look at deep cycle and compare prices and output.
I move my batteries around quite a bit so I always go for the Optima's (BCI group 31)

BTW Since Optima doesn't make a Group 27 size battery the above comparison has no merit. Check their web site for specs as they make a bunch of different sizes now days, still no 27's

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

thanks JCF350; i have a lot of stuff to buy this spring so i think i'll go with the wallmart maxx-29's for this year then upgrade to a AGM when they wear out. if i get 2 years out of them i'll be happy.

marks737

Cadet

My marina, when they haul boats for winter storage, does not remove the batteries. Is it damaging to leave the batteries uncharged all winter? Will they come back to life after servicing and charging in the spring?

Their procedure goes against everything I've read about battery care.
Just wondering if I need to make a stink.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My marina, when they haul boats for winter storage, does not remove the batteries. Is it damaging to leave the batteries uncharged all winter? Will they come back to life after servicing and charging in the spring?

Their procedure goes against everything I've read about battery care.
Just wondering if I need to make a stink.

Don't make a stink just remove them before storage take them home and put them on a maintenance charger. Inactivity leads to shortening the batteries life.

cebu97

Cadet

I'm looking at the Lifeline AGM battery.......any feed back on these?

I run a honda 200hp with 9.9 kicker........dual battery setup.

The very low discharge rate of 3% per month is a real winner for me since my
boat is in dry storage.

Any recommendation on the best MARINE battery service and sales in Southern California?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Good info, thanks.

Question: are you saying Everstart, Everready and Interstate are all identical batteries?

I understand a factory making many different branded products, but in most cases the quality isn't the same - brand owner buys a production run, chooses the features they want, including the level of quality.

Is that not the case with batteries?

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good info, thanks.

Question: are you saying Everstart, Everready and Interstate are all identical batteries?

I understand a factory making many different branded products, but in most cases the quality isn't the same - brand owner buys a production run, chooses the features they want, including the level of quality.

Is that not the case with batteries?

Yes it is the case. BTW Interstate buys batteries from all over the world not just Johnson controls (checkout the MSDS for the battery and it will list the manufacturer). Funny thing that was noticed while fixing cars for living was that AC/Delco batteries had the same failure patterns as the Interstates. :eek:

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 7 year old Delco, trolling battery. I`m buying another AC Delco when this one finally dies.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 7 year old Delco, trolling battery. I`m buying another AC Delco when this one finally dies.

Nuttin wrong with that :)

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

Good info here...

cbavier

Lieutenant

raekmike

Thanks for the post. I am in the market soon for Truck and RV /Deep cycle Batteries. Priced the Interstate yesterday a 85 Month 2 yr free replacement
was $99 and a 75 month One year free replacement was $79. Think I'll look at Wal-mart's and Auto Zone before I buy.

cebu97

Cadet

Put two Lifeline AGM batteries about 3 months ago.....group 24's.
Pick them up locally......at the distributor......for under $200 each...

I love them............did not need charging when installed and have not touched them since.

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

But I do notice that some water sits in the bottom of the tray. Is this a problem? I've thought about drilling a couple of drain holes to let the water run out.

Make sure thats water in those trays before doing anything. I am sure that 99.99% of the time that it is water, but batteries do leak (unless the fancy expensive kind) and the acid looks just like water. I would toss some baking soda in tray just to make sure that you have only water.