175 Evinrude will not turn over

Arries

Recruit
Drove boat about 1/2 hour, then docked at the beach. Noticed a funny smell coming from the motor, did not see any smoke there was some heat around the fly wheel but no signs of any damage. where should I start looking. I also disconected the battery terminal and had alot of sparks like something was drawing from the battery.<br /><br />This problem maybe related my Tach stopped working the day before. Could that be related?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help<br /><br />E175TLCCM ser# r1822509

Arries

Recruit
Re: 175 Evinrude will not turn over

I think the stator is getting hot. when the battery cable is hooked up. what would cause that to happen?

Walker

Captain

Tcah stopped working. I'd look at your rectifier.

D

DJ

Barry,<br /><br />Is the starter drive gear jammed against the flywheel?

Arries

Recruit

No starter will turn freely, there is something draining the battery

D

DJ

Do you see anything melted/oozing from under the flywheel. Is the burnt smell coming from there?<br /><br />I'm thinking that the stator melted too and possibly a flywheel magnet has come loose.

Arries

Recruit

The odor is coming from under the fly wheel, I do not see anything oozing but something yellow is flaking, If the stator is replaced should the rectifier also be replaced?<br /><br />when my tach went out was this the trigger for my other problems?

D

DJ

Barry,<br /><br />Pop the flywheel. It think you'll see your problem. It has been my experience that when one cooks, so does the other.<br /><br />Rectifier troubles will stop your tach.

Arries

Recruit

I took it to the Marina to get repaired, they called and said the stator is bad. $293 for the part + labor uggg.<br /><br />What causes a stator to go bad? and how do I protect it?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You said the motor would not turn over but they are repalcing the stator. Will the motor turn over now but not the other day?<br /><br />You should have a 35 amp system which has a water cooled rec/reg. The tach quit working -- most likely-- because the water cooled rec/reg shorted out.<br /><br />The rec/reg may have shorted out due to lack of water in the block. If there was a lack of coolant that may have been why the motor locked up.<br /><br />If the motor did indeed lock up, we better look at compression before we put 300.00 in electronics on it.