Baretta Files

RickeyBobby

Recruit
Re: Baretta Files

How was using the Dremel? I'm very new to an angle grinder and using one on the inside of the hull is, in my case, just asking for trouble. The Dremel looks like it would offer more control for a novice, but did it take alot more time?

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

hi bud.......

yer doin great.....dont know how i missed this one first time around.

loose that peice of trash wood !

the bilge pump can be mounted via an "L" bracket off the transom. i would suggest....after you grind that wood out....to add two wraps of 1708 over the bilge just to re inforce it.

just a few qiuck questions for you.......

you will have to replace the transom first ...(before the stringers)....do you have your wood yet?

did you make the decision on wrapping the stiringers yet? or the poly epoxy thing?

cheers
oops

Thanks Oops, I believe that is the route I'll go.

Haven't bought the wood yet, but I'm not going with PT ply. My transom goes back together in three pieces. The main piece has a void on both sides that will be filled with foam. I'm going to need this piece straight & don't want to worry about any possible warp issues.

Going with poly & will wrap the stringers.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

that is curious.

my initial thought was exactly what oop's had said.. but upon further inspection.. is it a piece of wood? I was thinking it might be a seperator
of some sort, keeps the liquid and solids apart. the liquid can flow under the peice allowing the bilge pump to suck it up on the back side while all the solids stay at the front of the peice..

i dont know.. just a thought.. if it were some sort of contraption to prevent the bilge pump from becoming clogged with solids..(dont ask me what solids):D

Yeah, it's wood. Looks like a 3/4 ply (I ground a corner out). Nothing runs through it. The V shape facing the bow actually blocks water from getting out when the boat is elevated. The only purpose I can see for this was to mount the bilge.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

How was using the Dremel? I'm very new to an angle grinder and using one on the inside of the hull is, in my case, just asking for trouble. The Dremel looks like it would offer more control for a novice, but did it take alot more time?

Well initially I was using a hammer & chisel due to me not having a proper respirator at the time, so it moved dang fast compared to that. For me it was great for cutting the perimeter of the deck & the base of the stringers. I left about 1/4 inch of glass on the hull, ripped everything out, then ground down the remaining with an angle grinder.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Oops, I believe that is the route I'll go.

Haven't bought the wood yet, but I'm not going with PT ply. My transom goes back together in three pieces. The main piece has a void on both sides that will be filled with foam. I'm going to need this piece straight & don't want to worry about any possible warp issues.

Going with poly & will wrap the stringers.

time to pick the wood........its going to take a week or two to dry it out unless its marine .....specialy ordered to be less than 20 % wet.

that transom does not need foam in it.....and i cant think of a worse place for foam....any where on a boat. you can make a transom the regular way and put it in all in one shot with that hull design..it will save you time and trouble.....and....outlast any three peice design by 5 years......

but what ever you do....have fun and play safe :)

cheers
oops

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah you're right, I need to get the wood. Now that you mention it, that is a terrible place to put foam. Don't think I'll be putting it back

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

It seems that finding time to work on my project has become near impossible. Between work & prepping our house to sell my boat has taken a back seat. I really want her back together before spring, but it aint gonna happen at this rate.

Anyway, I've found a local guy that does this type of work. It's a family business that has been passed down to the son who now does the work. He learned the craft from his father, who has a good reputation. Bottom line is that I can have my transom, deck, & stringers completely rebuilt for just under $1500. That's about 500 for supplies & 1000 for the labor. He'd be using exterior grade ply, polyester resin, the stringers would be completely glassed, & of coarse all holes sealed properly. He said his normal price for this is about $3000, but since I've already torn everything out & have done 95% of the grinding that's what he'd charge.

I'm fairly sure that this is not a bad deal, but I'd like to get some input from you guys. Thoughts?

colobiker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that sounds like a screaming deal to me.
if you have the $$ and not the time..

go for it.

you might want to ask him for some refrences..

if what he says is true.. go for it..
the money vs the time is a huge deal

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Well I've decided to let the local guy do my deck/stringer/ transom repairs.

One of the next items on the list is are the panels, such as this one...
_2061455.jpg

If I rebuild it like it was I assume the best route to go would be quarter inch pressure treated ply? Would I have let it dry like you would if you were glassing it? Would there be any issues with adhesive for gluing the foam. Or would I be better off just going exterior ply.

Another route I'm considering is using starboard panels. I'm thinking it would look utilitarian, but very low maintenance and would last much longer. Has anyone used this material in a ski boat? Do you think it would look out of place? I'm not looking to win a beauty contest, but I want the lady to be comfy.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

I decided to go with half inch for the side panels. Quarter inch was too thin and I'm not bothering with PT wood. From there I'm going with 1 inch foam covered in vinyl. Cut out a few tonight...

_2251690.jpg

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Guess I should mention I got my boat back. Gonna have the motor and outdrive dropped in later this week.

_2251688.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

looking good. I went with 1/2" ply as well for my sides. I went with PT because I was carpeting them and I thought there might be a chance for some rot but I doubt it was necessary.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Well I got my motor and outdrive in. I didn't remember exactly how my shift throttle was set when I took it apart, so that was a a bit of a pain putting back together. My seats came in this week... Got a heck of deal on a set, which included 2 fold out loungers & two jumps seat for right at $500 (shipping & tax included).

I tell you, this thing has turned into a cash monster. Every time I turn around it's another 25 here 50 there. I felt bent over after I picked up four SS nuts, bolts, washers, & a pack of SS staples for $25 bucks. I'm $4600 in so far & still have to buy vinyl and foam. By the time I'm done I'll have $5000 grand easy into this thing. I just keep telling myself I can't buy a boat in better condition for that much when I'm done.... Right???

Found this guy hanging out in the garage with me tonight (after the cat food I'm sure). Figured he'd get all pissy, but he just hung out under my work bench. We'd check each other out every now & then & go about our business. Most docile possum I've ever run across.

_3081696.jpg

bear_69cuda

Commander

Dude,

Post pics of the motor and drive!

I know what you mean... Every time I go to the store it's $25 - $50 bones????
Hole in the water to throw money into is right! But what do ya do?

Reading about your wife and the plants made me laugh... Both of our care are in the driveway. My garage has dust everyplace possible! After I paint the deck today, it's WWIII with leave blower, shop vac, and compressed air gun!

Can't wait to see more pice of the project! Looking great!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just keep telling myself I can't buy a boat in better condition for that much when I'm done.... Right???

No you absolutely can not. I have seen numerous posters on here purchase CLEAN great looking used boats and then find rot. It's well worth the effort.

colobiker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the guy I bought my boat from, sold me mine because it diddnt run, he bought a newer 4 winns for 5k, that ran.. and the interior was shot.

with your boat, you have new stringers, floor and new interior.. its almost a new boat.. for 5k.. look at it that way..plus knowing you did it all yourself..
thats a proud thing.. when your on the lake and sombody comments on how nice your boat is.. you can just smile and say.. yup ist 100% custom designed for me..BY ME!!!

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

A few updates. I was able to slip her into the lake last Sunday for a test run. It was a beautiful day in the mid 80s & she ran like a champ. I noticed that she would plane out much quicker than last season. Most likely due to losing all of that weight in water logged foam.

_3081704.jpg

Been working on the panels as of late. My jigsaw has gotten almost as good of a workout as my grinder with every panel/seat back in the boat having to be replaced. Got all of my vinyl in & purchased a boat load of foam yesterday.

I took a spray can of 3M 90 and coated my panels, let it set, then took electric turkey knife and cut off the excess, which was my wife's idea & it worked out great...

_3111744.jpg

From there we wrapped & stapled our vinyl & piping on. The inside curves proved to be tricky, but we managed. Here's the finished product...

_3121752.jpg

It has an amateur look, but not bad for a first try I guess. Gonna replace those taupe snap caps with a dark brown, which is what we originally wanted, but they didn't have in stock so we matched the piping.

We went with a cheaper foam for the side panel, but a nice 3" for the bow. However, I think we should have gone 2", because that is going to take some work to fit in. I'll either have to shave a bit of the foam off, or make some adjustments to the panels...

_3121751.jpg

As you can see in the pics I've also got the carpet down. I know it's blasphemy in many circles here, but it's what we wanted. I'm hoping to have the rest of the vinyl work done by the weekend. We've got a camping trip planned next weekend & I can't wait to get her back on the water.:)

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

A few updates. I was able to slip her into the lake last Sunday for a test run. It was a beautiful day in the mid 80s

Mid 80s??? way to BRAG! think it almost hit 40 here!!

looking good on the upholstery!

colobiker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looks good.

good idea on the interior. using the electric knife.

I am glad you were able to get it in the water,
your nearing the end.

you did a great job and were an inspiration to all of us.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Making progress. I'd say I'm about 95%ish done. Still need to finish up the doghouse and I hope to have that done sometime this week.

Made a few boo boos mounting the bow seat backs. Will need to do some minor vinyl repair and make some adjustments to the backs, but other than that they're okay...

_3151798.jpg

A shot facing the stern...

_3151801.jpg

Included my garage door in this one. It produced quite a bit of pain to my head. Just when I thought I could navigate around it I'd bang my head again...

_3151803.jpg

One of the last panels I need to mount. All in all I cut out about 20 panels. Burnt my jig saw up on a piece of teak today. Good thing I had a back up

_3151808.jpg

Now that everything is looking new those gauges are a bit of an eyesore. Thinking about replacing them with a new set along with a new steering wheel, but they'll work for now.

_3151797.jpg

I imagine I'll post my finished product within a few weeks. I want to thank all those who've offered their advice and support along the way. Although I subbed some major labor I wouldn't have had clue what I was doing & could have been had once or twice. You guys are great.