Anybody in Quebec ever bought a boat from the other provinces of Canada?

Newbateau

Seaman Apprentice
I wonder if there is any tax to pay for a used boat bought from the other provinces of Canada and will be brought into Quebec? If there is tax to pay, what's the rate? and how will I know how much I'll need to pay and how to pay? Thanks a lot.

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Anybody in Quebec ever bought a boat from the other provinces of Canada?

Don't imagine Quebec is any different than Ontario or the rest of Canada as far as Revenue Canada goes for wanting their share of your tax dollars. Doesn't matter where you buy your boat, once you register it, Revenue Canada will be notified and you will get a letter requesting you pay the taxes due. Here in Onrtario that is the HST or 13%. Taxes due will be whatever the rate is in Quebec.

Newbateau

Seaman Apprentice

Don't imagine Quebec is any different than Ontario or the rest of Canada as far as Revenue Canada goes for wanting their share of your tax dollars. Doesn't matter where you buy your boat, once you register it, Revenue Canada will be notified and you will get a letter requesting you pay the taxes due. Here in Onrtario that is the HST or 13%. Taxes due will be whatever the rate is in Quebec.

Just called Tax office this morning. There is no tax to pay if a used boat is sold/bought inside Quebec, but if the used boat is bought from another province of Canada and will be brought into Quebec, the buyer has to pay 8.5% PST. If the buyer doesn't declare it, in 1 or 2 year the provincial government will find out, and will send the buyer a letter for paying the tax.

Now I got another question, how do they decide the price of the boat since the boat is bought from a private person? If the buyers want to declare it, how can they prove the price is true? Anyone has this kind of experience to share? Thanks.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I am surprised you have to pay a tax if bought from another province.
If they think the stated sale price is too low, they will look it up in Kelly Bluebook, etc. or their own database.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I am surprised you have to pay a tax if bought from another province.
If they think the stated sale price is too low, they will look it up in Kelly Bluebook, etc. or their own database.
Really? Maybe it's different here in NJ, but when you go to register a boat you have to have a bill of sale etc... and they charge you sales tax at the DMV.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Just called Tax office this morning. There is no tax to pay if a used boat is sold/bought inside Quebec, but if the used boat is bought from another province of Canada and will be brought into Quebec, the buyer has to pay 8.5% PST. If the buyer doesn't declare it, in 1 or 2 year the provincial government will find out, and will send the buyer a letter for paying the tax.

Now I got another question, how do they decide the price of the boat since the boat is bought from a private person? If the buyers want to declare it, how can they prove the price is true? Anyone has this kind of experience to share? Thanks.

I think you need a bill of sale and it needs to break down the price of the boat, trailer, and motor separately. I'm pretty sure if you try to fudge on it they will look up the blue book value of it and charge you taxes for that price.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

its from the bill of sale.

and you pay the pst......thats all

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got the letter in front of me from Ministry of Revenue for a boat I bought 2 years ago. It came in the mail this week. I have to sent a copy of the bill of sale and send a cheque for the tax owing. If bought before June 8/10, the rate is 8% and after that date 13%. If no responce on my part they will do an estimated assessment with interest compounded daily at the current rate from date of purchase. I know I'm responsible to pay it, but worst part is I don't even own that boat anymore, sold it last year.