Any Illinois river boaters

sermangarret

Recruit
Re: Any Illinois river boaters

Yes we're here! Also catching up some Illinois player here. Thanks guys...hope to see you soon.

Raypex

Seaman

Another Illinois River guy here, We usually drop in at Allen Park in Ottawa and run between the locks. This weekend, We're going to try our first weekend trip / overnight on the boat. Going to Peoria with a few people and two boats. I sometimes put in at Morris but it gets crazy busy on the weekends.
See you in the river
'89 Searay 220 OV

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class

cb - I'm in Byron. Lived here all my life. Nice stretch of river from Byron to Oregon (this is maybe a 9 mile stretch of river). Public ramp in Byron but this is probably the shallowest part at maybe 3-4' at average water level. There is also a launch near Oregon but I have never used it. As you head south towards Oregon, it's nice and wide, a few sand bars along the way to anchor & play on. Depths average 5-8' and get closer to 10-14' as you near Oregon with mostly sand bottom. You cant go south of Oregon due to the dam (that would be a rough ride!) and not many venture too far north of Byron because it gets shallow towards Rockford. Make sure to "learn" the river first as there are a few shallow "spots" where the ocassional tree can get hung up (sometimes they are barely submerged but usually unlucky boaters that find it do a good job of marking with a bouy. Just hopefully you're not the guy to find it!) I suppose this is normal for most river systems - you never know what the river will pick up from the banks as the levels fluxuate. Only downfall on this strech of water is no place to stop for fuel, food, etc. on the river. 27' cc is good sized rig, but i've seen them here. Good luck!

crashgod

Recruit

Hello - we are longtime boaters of the Illinois river near Morris (put in at Stratton Park). Anyone know any details about the property/campsites that are located a little west of Morris on the river? I know it's private and would like to contact whoever owns it to find out how you can rent one of the sites to park a camper on and boat from. We always boat past it and think how nice it would be to be able to camp there and use the boat as well but are unsure how to find out more details.

Thanks!

mgorczak

Cadet

Hello - we are longtime boaters of the Illinois river near Morris (put in at Stratton Park). Anyone know any details about the property/campsites that are located a little west of Morris on the river? I know it's private and would like to contact whoever owns it to find out how you can rent one of the sites to park a camper on and boat from. We always boat past it and think how nice it would be to be able to camp there and use the boat as well but are unsure how to find out more details.

Thanks!

its a private campground... i stopped a few weeks ago to asked questioned about about the campground. I felt a bit shunned...when I asked abou rentals...its a private campground...I will have the name of the owner by year end...call me on my cell if you want to go boating...6023197014...Mike G. .. Always lookjing for fellow illinois boaters...love the river and want to make lasting friendships...but it seems difficult...

mike g.

Tabes117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks!

I talked with that guy years ago but thought he was jerk. You could put your camper at hidden cove, by the Katie Hopper. I had a camper along the river at Boondocks for 3 years. You can call Boondocks and ask for Diane. She is Chuck Blacks's sister. It was nice but the third record flood made it inside, insurance totaled it. I still keep my boat there, but now I am at Woodsmoke ranch 3 miles off river.

McGuinty

Recruit

Hello - We've run much of the Hudson and the Erie Canal, as well as the Illinois Water Way from Joliet to Lake Michigan, next spring we're thinking of heading south - Joliet to Alton. Usually tie up and spend the night in nearby B&B or hotel (First Mate wants clean room and shower - not a "camper"). Been looking in Quimbys; looks like there's not much in the way of near-river lodging, so one thought was to spend night in Peoria, then make Grafton in one day - at 20 knots, should be doable....but....have a few questions;
1- What's the traffic like down bound from Starved Lock & Dam thru to Grafton?
2- Other than in the vicinity of tows, other boats and narrow stretches, and speed limits?
3- Anybody know of near-river lodging (less than 2 miles by foot) between Starved Rock and Grafton? (We're good in Peoria - big town, plenty of cabs).

Thanks for your time.

John3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wondering if there are any Illinois river boaters in here. I boat mainly between Morris and Seneca and Ottawa and Utica. Just wondering if you guys are out there!
We're California Boaters, not Illinois Boaters. BUT, last May we did take a 3 day cruise, complete with ragtime music & Mark Twain telling River Stories, on the stern wheeler "Spirit of Peoria", from Peoria to St Louis. Actually we almost got to St Louis, a brush with high winds and the threat of Tornadoes caused the skipper to turn around. We still had a great time, just didn't get to see the Arch. Went to Starved Rock & then took a 1/2 day cruise at the Dells. A beautiful area, one of these days I'll have to haul my Boat over the Rockies & cruise the Mississippi.
In the meantime I'm taking my boat to Lake Powell in April. We live in a Great Country with Beautiful Scenery.
Any one coming my way to boat on the Colorado River, Sacramento River or Channel Islands let me know & we'll buddy boat. We don't have Tornadoes, only Earthquakes.

IMG_0957 Lake Mohave.jpgDSC_1021[1].jpg

Hey Gang
I live in Chicago and certainly do not mind picking up the GF and heading someplace new to got boating; I have a small boat-15' w/ OB and I need suggestions on where to hang out on a beautiful spot on the river; I heard Starved Rock is nice; we like to toss anchor and swim/listen to tunes etc...; but I certainly do not want to be fighting current ALL day; any suggestions; thanks! p.s. this is only my second boating season and I am already tired of WI lakes....

mgorczak

Cadet

Hey Gang
I live in Chicago and certainly do not mind picking up the GF and heading someplace new to got boating; I have a small boat-15' w/ OB and I need suggestions on where to hang out on a beautiful spot on the river; I heard Starved Rock is nice; we like to toss anchor and swim/listen to tunes etc...; but I certainly do not want to be fighting current ALL day; any suggestions; thanks! p.s. this is only my second boating season and I am already tired of WI lakes....

There's great place just down river from morris before Seneca as well as Buffalo state park. The best place to had on weekends is down to Henry... a bit out of the way but almost no boat traffic.

mgorczak

Cadet

Can't wait to get out - cabin fever set in big time... illinois river temp...balmy 38 degrees...only 12 more degrees up and it will be bearable to ski...lol

Thanks for the tip!! The Fever is strong!; gotta keep up with the Jimmy Buffett videos to keep me dreamn...lol

mgorczak

Cadet

Thanks for the tip!! The Fever is strong!; gotta keep up with the Jimmy Buffett videos to keep me dreamn...lol

Refit the boat...all I have to do is back it into the river... getting some neoprene socks...starting early this year...screw the cold...!!!!

markn88

Seaman

There's great place just down river from morris before Seneca as well as Buffalo state park. The best place to had on weekends is down to Henry... a bit out of the way but almost no boat traffic.

hey i live in cicero and like to go down to big basin just 5 mins south of joliet. its real nice early in the morn but can get very busy on holiday weekends.

p.s. its my second boating season too and i cant wait for the summer to come

mgorczak

Cadet

Hey Mark,

My last trip was out to big basin last season... I put in by big basin, morris, senece and even in henry... no traffic in henry even on weekends...

markn88

Seaman

Hey Mark,

My last trip was out to big basin last season... I put in by big basin, morris, senece and even in henry... no traffic in henry even on weekends...

i think im going to go down to seneca, i found a launch on the i&M canal in summit last night that seems to be good for going towards downtown chicago, instead of launching in the city where its 25 dollars.

mgorczak

Cadet

I always find a space to launch and park in seneca when morris is full, lots of jet skier's go to morris due to jet ski launch ramp.

Tabes117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Taking my son and his buddy out on the boat Thursday and Friday. I believe its $1.50 tacos at Boondocks on Thursdays!!!!

chrisvr6

Seaman Apprentice

i think im going to go down to seneca, i found a launch on the i&M canal in summit last night that seems to be good for going towards downtown chicago, instead of launching in the city where its 25 dollars.
Summit is $25 to launch.