Another Shifter Issue... MC 1

LastCall1983

Seaman
1977 Stamas Cuddy with 351w engine and MC1. The original shift cable was frozen so i replaced with aftermarket cable (yeah i know.. i bought it BEFORE i started reading on this forum). Did all my bellows and such at the same time.. The original carb throttle was also rusted and frozen up. (didn't know this before hand) I got the cable adjusted out so it would shift into forward and reverse correctly, then connected the throttle connection. I noticed it was hard to put into forward so i bumped the throttle control a few times and it freed up. Only issue was, now i had forward and no reverse. I haven't been able to adjust it back out sense.

My question is did i stretch my drive cable out when i did this and now it isn't working? Since then, i replaced the throttle/shift control, upper cable and throttle cable. The only thing left i haven't went back and replaced is the lower cable. I didn't have the engine running or anything when i bumped the cable so i don't think i damaged anything in the drive.

Also, if i pull/push the lower cable by hand off the shift plate i can get both forward and reverse. The shift plate pin is also in the fully upper position, but still won't find reverse. How do i check the lower shift cable to ensure it's still within tolerance?

Thanks for any help.

LastCall1983

Seaman
Re: Another Shifter Issue... MC 1

**EDIT** When i click the links on this page it just takes me back to the top of the manual.. doesn't take me to the actual section.

Am i missing something in that link? It was only the contents, didn't give me the actual sections. And i set it correctly per Chris's video on Youtube, but still having the issues.. I know this is a common question and i had it correct until i connected the carb and forced the throttle control.

I'll keep looking on that link and see if i can figure out why i can't see the actual sections.

Thanks

Last edited:

LastCall1983

Seaman

**EDIT** When i click the links on this page it just takes me back to the top of the manual.. doesn't take me to the actual section.

Am i missing something in that link? It was only the contents, didn't give me the actual sections. And i set it correctly per Chris's video on Youtube, but still having the issues.. I know this is a common question and i had it correct until i connected the carb and forced the throttle control.

I'll keep looking on that link and see if i can figure out why i can't see the actual sections.

Thanks

Ok I found a link online. I adjusted everything the same way it says in here. Still can't find reverse unless i unhook it from the shift plate and pull the shift cable out a little by hand. Pulling my hair out about now....

thumpar

Admiral

Sounds like a lower shift cable. Many on he suggest changing it when doing the bellows since you are in there already.

LastCall1983

Seaman

Sounds like a lower shift cable. Many on he suggest changing it when doing the bellows since you are in there already.

That's the thing i did change it. And it worked, until i hooked up the carb throttle cable (didn't know the carb linkage was rusted stuck). i bumped the throttle control a few times and it freed up but then i lost the shift. I bought a new throttle control, a new remote shift cable, and a new throttle cable. The only thing i didn't go back and replace after i lost it was the lower. I never even had the boat in the water. I'm thinking it's the lower even though it's new. I either kinked it or stretched it when i forced the throttle control.

if i replace the lower shift cable and it's still not right, what else could it be?

thumpar

Admiral

In your first post you said you didn't change the lower shift cable.

LastCall1983

Seaman

In your first post you said you didn't change the lower shift cable.

Went back and read it sounds confusing. LoL. I first said original shift cable was frozen and i changed it. Then later in the post i meant after i bumped the throttle trying to free the rusted carb and i lost shift ability again, i didn't go back and replace it a 2nd time. I never had it in the water between the first cable change and now. I did just order a new shift cable though, again and i'll try to replace it a 2nd time and see if that's the problem..

if not, i'll advise.

Thanks for the help.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

you click on the center box that says sterndrive units, that opens to a page that you click on the section needed,then that opens.
this link is view /print only http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

....I bought a new throttle control,....

Are you sure the new control box has the correct amount of travel for the shift system? (check it as per my video)

Chris....

LastCall1983

Seaman

Are you sure the new control box has the correct amount of travel for the shift system? (check it as per my video)

Chris....

I'll check achris, but it was giving me issues before i replaced the control box. Thats the main reason i went ahead and bought a new one (it's the same kind just a new version Morse).

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Where is the lower shift cable anchor pin in the slot on the shift lever? (Near the top or near the bottom)... If it's near the bottom, try moving it up a little.

LastCall1983

Seaman

Where is the lower shift cable anchor pin in the slot on the shift lever? (Near the top or near the bottom)... If it's near the bottom, try moving it up a little.

Mine is the one that lays flat ontop of the engine not up and down, but i do have it adjusted in the slot so it gives the most "throw" to pull the shift cable out as much as possible to try and hit reverse.

The 2nd drive shift cable is on order. I'll swap it and hopefully that is the answer. I saved the troubleshooting part of the manual that has all the cable tolerances, and the template for the pointer to check the lower units play. I'm thinking it's not the drive though, because i had it adjusted where forward and reverse both locked good, until i had the issue with the carb linkage being stuck.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

I would unhook the lower cable and check the travel of the cable against specs, and double check all cable adjustments. be sure outer cable not binding, or pinched. I cant imagine you stretched the new lower cable. have you tried your shifting with carb cable disconnected (like when your shift cable first worked?)

LastCall1983

Seaman

I would unhook the lower cable and check the travel of the cable against specs, and double check all cable adjustments. be sure outer cable not binding, or pinched. I cant imagine you stretched the new lower cable. have you tried your shifting with carb cable disconnected (like when your shift cable first worked?)

Yes the first thing i did was unhook the carb throttle. Still no go. I already have the new carb installed but didn't connect the throttle yet. I'm going to check the travel against specs for the lower tomorrow. I've unhooked everything and started from scratch like 10 times trying to adjust it. I even installed a new roller arm in the lower unit because the roller looked worn on it.. Also installed a new lower shift shaft with the new upgraded seal hoping that would fix the issue.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

If not already, have you checked the play in the remote control cable? Also, manually turn shoe on lower shift shaft to insure prop lock, and ratchet in forward and reverse?

LastCall1983

Seaman

If not already, have you checked the play in the remote control cable? Also, manually turn shoe on lower shift shaft to insure prop lock, and ratchet in forward and reverse?

Checking play tomorrow. just got specs in manual this afternoon. It ratchets fine if you pull or push the lower shift cable. Good strong ratchet in opposite direction once it locks into gear.

LastCall1983

Seaman

Checking play tomorrow. just got specs in manual this afternoon. It ratchets fine if you pull or push the lower shift cable. Good strong ratchet in opposite direction once it locks into gear.

Ok. Shift cable play is just a hair over 1/2". Well within the 9/16" tolerance. and the remote cable distance from forward to reverse is 2 15/16"

Now. i also did this test while i was messing with it. I left the shift cable brass barrel on the shift plate and pulled the cable by hand until the propeller locked.. it actually started moving the shift interrupter switch before it even engaged reverse, and i had to pull it well past what my cables were able to move it.

seems my cables aren't the issue after all. Any other suggestions? do i move on to removing the lower and conducting the test with the template and pointer that is in the manual to see if it is within the 12* range?

Last edited:

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

maybe some photos will shed some light?