4.3 2001 Volvo penta TBI running too rich

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello!

I have another problem... A 2001 Volvo penta 4.3L TBI is burning too much fuel... Doesn't matter if IDLEing or underway, there is always too much smoke & fuel fumes in exhaust... Guess the engine is running too rich... I don't have much experience with TBI engines... Can anyone point in a direction what to look for? Fuel pressure? Sensors? Cables?

Any help appreciated!

Alex

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 4.3 2001 Volvo penta TBI running too rich

start with a tune up.

how does the cap and rotor look if they are badly corroded it will have weaker spark and therefore run rich.

i owuld replace cap and rotor plugs and wires. and go from there

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello!

I forgot to mention... The engine has a new RapidoMarine LB + :

- new rotor & cap
- new knock sensor
- new intake & exhaust manifolds
- new water pump

The problem was there before the switch & still remains... I think it has something to do with sensors or fuel delivery system... Still looking for suggestions ;)

Thanx

Alex

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Might want to get it hooked up to a diagnostic computer and check for codes, along with checking sensor outputs while engine is running.
What is your engines serial number or the FULL model number?

210ccr

Seaman Apprentice

mine was doing the same thing, turns out it was the thermostat, engine was running to cool!

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well today i got my hands on the engine and checked the fault codes... There were 3 in the memory:

- code 14
- code 22
- code 34

they all indicate that the voltage is LOW on the ECT, TP and MAP sensors... After discussing with the people i found out that they pulled the connectors of the sensors while running the engine so i reset the ECM and the codes were gone, even after several restarts.

I also measured the ECT but it works perfectly, the resistance is as it should be (compared to the table in the EFI diagnostic manual), the wiring is also ok.

What should i check next? I think I'll pull the IAC to look if it works ok, cause I can hear a hissing sound while starting the engine (guess the air that goes thru the IAC valve) BUT the hissing never goes away (I guess the valve doesn't close) - so it's either the IAC or the ECM is doing something wrong...

Another thing... This engine has ABSOLUTELY NO marks about an engine type whatsoever... The block is a new one from rapidomarine, all the decals are either gone or empty... Never been in a situation like that before... My guess is it's a 2001 Gi with TBI...

Any suggestions?

Thanx

Alex

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Code Description

13 Oxygen Sensor 1 or 2 Malfunction
14 Coolant Sensor Voltage High (cold)
15 Coolant Sensor Voltage Low(hot)
21 Throttle Position Sensor Voltage High
21 Throttle Position Sensor Voltage Skewed High
22 Throttle Position Sensor Voltage Low
23 Manifold Air Temperature Sensor High (cold)
24 Speed Sensor Inactive (if installed)
25 Manifold Air Temperature Sensor Low (hot)
31 Governor Not Tracking
32 EGR Valve Not Tracking
33 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor High
34 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Low
41 Electronic Spark Timing Open Circuit
42 Electronic Spark Timing Grounded Circuit
43 Electronic Spark Control Detects Continuous Knock
44 Knock Sensor 1 or 2 Inactive
51 Calibration Checksum Error
54 Oxygen Sensor 1 or 2 Lean
55 Oxygen Sensor 1 or 2 Rich
61 Fuel Pressure Sensor High
62 Fuel Pressure Sensor Low
63 Fuel Temperature High
64 Fuel Temperature Low
81 See Scan Tool*
* Scan tool will display specific details on the type of Code 81 that is
set. Code 81 is associated with a variety of system faults.

You need to get a contact cleaner and clean all of your electrical connections....Get magnifying glasses and check your work...:D Generally speaking after warm up the engine will turn about 1500 rpm if the IAC is not working plug it in start it up..warm it up and unplug it...No change..then you may have isolated the issue

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmm I think I'm on to something... The MAP sensor hose is attached to the fuel cell... Shouldn't that hose go to the manifold? What hose should be attached to the fuel cell? And where does it attach to?

Alex

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you troubleshooting this with any manual? or just by what you think it should be and how you think its should work?

The ECT can tell the ECM that the engine is very cold and not set a code. That is what it's suppoed to do. You need to look at the diagnostic tool when the engine is warm and see what the temp reading is from the ECT.
I have run engine that said it was 30? and the engine was actually 160. No codes, no problems. The ECM thougth the ECT was telling the truth. So at that temp, it made the fuel mixture rich.

cobalt1999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Map sensor plays a big part in the fuel mixture control.
No vacuum to the sensor will make it run rich.
The MAP sensor should be connected to a port on the base of the throttle body.

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don, I have the EFI manual you posted on the adult only section... I took the ECT out and compared the ohm readings / temperature with the table in the manual and readings are ok. I also tested the continuity of the wires (a terminal to the J2/3 and b to the J2/11 i think) - everything checked out ok, no errors and the ECT is working perfectly... So basically yes, I'm doing it according to the manual...

Getting back to my previous question... I still think the MAP vacuum line + vapor line were hooked up wrong... Shouldn't the MAP vacuum line go to the throttle body? Cause currently it's hooked up to the fuel cell (i think where the vapor line should hook up to) I can't find the diagram for the TBI fuel system...

thanx

Alex

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cobalt, thanx... And where should the vapor line from the fuel cell lead to?

Alex

cobalt1999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am only guessing here, could that vapor hose go to the fuel reservoir where the high pressure pump is mounted?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

goes from the cell to a pulse limiter fitting,either on the intake or inline going to a vacum source.
if the needle valve in the cell leaks the fuel will be dumped into the intake.
should have no liquid fuel in the vent line.

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That did it! As I suspected, someone hooked the hoses wrong... After doing it right, the engine purrs like a kitten ;)

Thanx everybody!

Alex