Am I the only one who makes my family wear life vests?

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Am I the only one who makes my family wear life vests?

i make my 16 year old son put one on at the dock

Thanks for reviving a 6 year old thread!:facepalm:

Everyone on my boat wears a vest while under way. When anchored, adult, strong swimmers don't have too. My children, (3 & 7) wear theirs at all times on the water.

You are not alone. Safety 1st...

Children, I can understand. In the ocean on a small boat, I can understand that as well.
With a lousy operator......I wouldn't step one foot in the barge!

If you catch my drift?
Pun intended!:cool:

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I don't even know where my life jacket is.... :D

Love these old threads.... :cool:

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I want to board the time machine. It took me a bit into page one to see 2004.:facepalm:
Still it's a timeless subject and a good one as the season approaches for more folks.

Everyone onboard our boats wear jackets. It wasn't always the case, but after I investigated some drowning accidents where a PFD was found floating nearby we made it a rule while underway.

Most of the victims had no intention of entering the water. One of them was two guys in a 12' jon boat so the PFDs had to be within arms reach of at least one of them.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the auto inflate life jackets for any adult that wants to wear one. My wife and I always wear them when underway. I wear mine most of the time when at rest. Go swim after someone without one on and you can find yourself in trouble fast. As captain its your responsibility for everyone safty and if swimming is your last resort your good to go. The auto inflate type are very comfortable and cool to wear.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

PFD's have come a long way in the past 10 yrs so you don't have to look like you are in traction from some kind of trauma.<br /><br /><br /> Here in PA PFD's are also required to be worn by anyone under 12 yrs. old. I have 3 young daughters and to maintain their interest we brought them to the store and let them pick out their own life jackets which they love to wear while also conveying their favorite cartoon characters graphic styling (Barbie, Scooby Doo, & The little Mermaid.)I fish a few tournaments each year and their liability insurance requires all participants to wear PFD's whenever the outboard is powered. Non compliance can disqualify your catch which can end up costing you money. I personally have a PFD that serves double duty as a fishing vest so it doesn't look so much out of place to the gawkers that you are referring to.<br /><br />Kevin

Kev, 12 and unders have to wear a PFD on a boat 20' and under in PA. In MD it's 22' and under. We don't wear them on calm days, but as soon as the chop picks up we have them on( and are usually headed in).

Stephan Flaming

Recruit

No it's not exactly like that but to have the safety measure is always good.