Shots fired

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Shots fired

Originally posted by Fly Rod:<br /> :) Give them air marshalls a medal!!!! ;) <br /><br />Some dam liberal will want a full investigation!!! ;) :cool:
So will some dam airline managers, and airport managers, and TSA officials, and Homeland Security. We investigate every time somebody drops a suitcase on their toe, why wouldn't we investigate a gunshot? Especially a foreign national. The guy was inbound from Medellin...those Air Marshals might need some kind of witness protection program.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Having armed police or Military on aircraft, or the terminals is SOP in a good portion of the international air transport community.<br /><br />Is about time we, the liberal USA accept the practice on our shores. Would you be OK with your loved ones injured or killed by the likes of the player in this act in the interest of unencumbered (read unprotected) citizen rights to free air travel?

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Maybe the Air Marshalls will have to have suspected terrorists fill out a questionnaire before they shoot them...<br /><br />Are you now, or have you ever been, under the care of a physician for mental illness?<br /><br />Are you a member of a terrorist organization?<br /><br />Do you consent to being shot?<br /><br />Nahhh...screw all that! RELOAD!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by pjc:<br /> Having armed police or Military on aircraft, or the terminals is SOP in a good portion of the international air transport community.<br /><br />Is about time we, the liberal USA accept the practice on our shores. Would you be OK with your loved ones injured or killed by the likes of the player in this act in the interest of unencumbered (read unprotected) citizen rights to free air travel?
pj, I doubt that was directed at me, but just in case, I wanted to let you know that a full investigation is required any time a passenger is injured on an aircraft or in an airport; also most law enforcement organizations investigate every time a firearm is discharged (I'm counting on you LEO's to correct me if I'm wrong). It's not a "conservative" vs. "liberal" thing. Don't interpret that as opposition to use of armed air marshals. <br /><br />Personally I think they should have got the defribillator off the plane to save his life so they could shoot him again. ;) <br /><br />thanks.

bubbakat

Captain

have a brother who has a history of Schizophrenia. I believe I can honestly say that I would feel the same way about what the Marshals did if this was him. I would mourn, but I would understand what happened. I might even write the Marshals and tell them that I understood. They have a tough job and there is no way they can stop and do psychoanalysis before acting.<br />
Thank you Quietcat22 for those remarks. Its a blessing when some one understands what somethings are all about.

QC

Supreme Mariner

bubbakat,<br /><br />You sir are sincerely welcome!!

Drowned Rat

Captain

Wasn't it his Constitutional right to "say" he had a bomb? :D No fines for this moron!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Drowned Rat, there are those who think that is so. But based on the recent rulings of the Supreme court I think things are moving in a most favorable direction.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

you are correct jtexas.......just my opinion. consider that an USA domestic airliner was brought down a few weeks ago due to a drunk, smoking a butt, and peeing in an isle. Caused a whole flight of Innocent folks to be delayed due to the knob.<br /><br />Use of force could have controlled that person, restrained same. Then the majority of passengers could have reached their destination. Knob upstart been booked, life goes on. Time is due for security "bouncers" on ALL airline flights similar to what we now have in taverns, for example.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

That might be a good idea, pjc. In my younger days, a bouncer pitched me out of a bar one night so fast I was on my back looking at the stars before I even had an inkling something was up. <br /><br />A bouncer on an airliner would probably only have to do that one time and folks would behave themselves on airplanes! :eek:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They are working on it pjc.<br /><br />They now have 3400 air marshalls in service and recruiting more as I type.<br /><br />You never know when and what flight they are on and that is a deterrent.<br /><br />They are trained in ever aspect of air security and if they have to dis-charge their weapon, it's a shoot to kill, not shoot to wound situation.

KRS

Banned

Lots of USBP agent went to be air marshalls.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Flyrod,I said "never mind" because it gets a bit tiresome to see news turned into an attack on the political preference of half the nation.<br />As for my medicine,I do take a bit every so often.It comes from a bottle with a picture of a pirate captain and it claims to be from his private stock.<br />For once and for all.Stop putting me in a box.My politics are individualism and I do carry a gun and yes I am not a republican!

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Rolmops, maybe some of us believe (with good reason) that the way that a good deal of the news that is reported is in itself an attck on the political preferences---of the other half of the nation.<br /><br />Anyway, three cheers for your individualism.<br /><br />But four cheers for mine. ;)

D

DJ

GOOD!<br /><br />If you want to do something stupid (off med's)in a public place, accept the consequences.<br /><br />No excuses.<br /><br />Next. Lets let the Air Marshalls shoot another idiot.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

"SHOTS FIRED ON AN AMERICAN AIRLINES FLIGHT" I swear that's what the local NBC (channel 5) anchor just said. Just now, live on the news.<br /><br />I absolutely refuse to believe that they don't know what actually happened...I am convinced that they are lying through their teeth. That ticks me off so much!<br /><br />I'm really thankful for the professionalism these guys showed...did their jobs, no "hail of bullets", nobody else got hurt, makes me feel safe; now everybody knows to take these guys seriously.<br /><br /><br />[btw SBN, be advised that every flight into and out of Reagan National has at least one air marshall on board]

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why would a terrorist blow up the jetway and not the plane mid flight? If you were a terrorist, would you announce you had a bomb just prior to detonation?<br />It was pretty obvious to me that this person was suffering a mental disorder as soon as I read the first few posts. This is a very sad story really. A sick person posing no real threat, gets killed. If you had a close family member who was cursed with a lifelong disease like schizophrenia or similar mental disorder, you'd perhaps understand.

D

DJ

theriver,<br /><br />I would expect nothing other from you.<br /><br />Meaning: nobody is responsible for their own behavior.<br /><br />Unfortunately, your social "utopia" is dying.<br /><br />People are SICK of that social crap being forced down their throats.<br /><br />You have a voice here, but, you are one of a very "exclusive" few.

QC

Supreme Mariner

theriver,<br /><br />^ You obviously did not read my posts . . .