advice needed for deck in starcraft

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
putting new deck down in starcraft, and got almost all info needed ( type wood,resin,rivuts or screws) from this forumn and thanks. wondering now what you guys think about following 2 options. in your opinion should i screw deck down and then apply the nautilux vinyl, or would i be better off to cut, dry fit plywood, apply vinyl and then screw to hull so my screws are accesisible in case of under deck repairs later. not sure wich is best way to go. a negative to vinyl first, then screw down would be seams at each piece of plywood, but as stated before a positive would be, being able to remove without tearing out vinyl. also wondering if 5200 on screws, or 4200 so they would be more likely to come out if needed. thanks in advance to any help you can all give me.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: advice needed for deck in starcraft

thanks, woodenglass, will get that done correctly, thinking this rebuild is gonna take me a couple years so, did not want to start a rebuild thread and have everyone hanging off and on for so long. but looks like the way to go. got some pics and a start so i should start a rebuild thread?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: advice needed for deck in starcraft

You will get both answers, and those that answer 1 way would probably never consider the other.

You seem to have the pros & cons of both ways figured out.

Either way, be sure to seal both sides of the deck & all edges really well.

JigNGrub did an exceptional job at the seams on his tinny (he's vinyl each piece 1st, screw thru) and is a HUGE proponent of that method. I'd recommend 4200 for the screws, not 5200, it's supposed to be a permanent adhesive. Be very careful working ON your new vinyl, it's textured, so any 4200/5200 may be tough to clean. Esp if it dries on the vinyl....

DozerII recently splashed his latest Starcraft SS and also did a fabulous job (he's deck 1st, w/ rivets I think, and vinyl after)