A brand that should not have died!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: A brand that should not have died!

that would be cool to have a 3rd boat, is his like mine or a closed bow? I typed in "gulfstream boat" on yahoo and I saw a '68 for sale in texas and on another forum, can't remember wicth one, there was a coulple of other guys who had one. I think it was allboat maybe? but other than that nothing on the gulfstream. I did see one at lake success once about 4 yrs ago, it was like mine with yellow trim package. well we will keep on trying and looking. what are your plans for the beachcraft? total resto maybe??

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

aerwin said:
here is the link from texas http://www.apolloduck.us/image.phtml?id=49079&image=1

it is a nice looking boat

Extra clean looking aerwin. I wish they had more pictures.

My friends Gulfstream is a closed bow 18 footer with a Buick V-6 in it. Someone foolishly replaced the seat assemblies in it before he got it. The upholstery was probably shot and someone just slapped in some generic seat assy's.

On the BeachCraft, I plan on repainting the deck all around, redoing the interior vinyl, laying Nautolex on the floor, (I ripped up the carpet and scooped a huge shovel full of sand out of it. I have a seething detestation of carpet;) ) doing something for the seats that are falling apart, adding a 4 bbl to the 302 so I can whip Tailgunner and adding Smart tabs.

I'd also like to do something to the goofy roller trailer. I sure wish I could weld. I'm also trying to keep this on a bit of a budget. I spared no expense on my Gulfstream even though only a small part of what I spent was for cosmetics.

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"boatered" was the other site where a couple of people posted about gulfstream, I looked alittle and I didn't see there posts, I need to register to see more posts. have you never welded before? its not that hard. from what I have seen of your work you should be able to pick it up easily. do you have a junior college or an adult school by you? alot of times they have classes on welding and stuff. the beachcraft will look nice when your done

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

aerwin said:
"boatered" was the other site where a couple of people posted about gulfstream, I looked alittle and I didn't see there posts, I need to register to see more posts. have you never welded before? its not that hard. from what I have seen of your work you should be able to pick it up easily. do you have a junior college or an adult school by you? alot of times they have classes on welding and stuff. the beachcraft will look nice when your done

Yeah, I went over and registered on that 'other' site only to find out that you have to be a 'paid' member to use their search function. Grrrrrr!

I've looked into welding classes at the local community college. I don't remember exactly what the problem was but I think they did not offer a class at nite and that it ran every day of the week. I will have to re-check it.

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that sucks, I guess i will look at all the posts and lure those guys to iboats

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

man that site sucks, you are limited to subjects unless you pay the dues. oh well maybe the two posters will find us

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hi ya Booma,

You really should take a step into the 21st century, it's not that fightening. Honest. I'll even offer to hold your hand;). Merc sell an adaptor plate so you can lose the white dinasour without having to do any glass work (though you look like you don't have any problems in that area :D ). And you'd end up with a really nice smooth trim system and an engine package that didn't try to shake itself to bits at idle. I don't see what's so hard about working on the Merc legs, easiest piece of machinery I've ever worked on....

Cheers,

Chris...........

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Well Chris, you been away for a long time. Some things change. I now have a foot in both worlds. Picked up this little beauty for a song. Motor and outdrive are perfect. I'm picking away at the cosmetics. Don't ask me what I'm gonna do with 2 runabouts but I couldn't turn this little high speed hull down. I already have a manifold and a Holley rebuilt 450 cfm 4 bbl in the garage for it.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=181463

marlon

Recruit

hi there i have a 1964 gulfstream 18 ft. with a 210 hp ford 302 and a
berkley jet. is there any way to get a gasket for the pickup screen on the
bottom of the boat. also is there any performance tips on the jet pump?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

hi there i have a 1964 gulfstream 18 ft. with a 210 hp ford 302 and a
berkley jet. is there any way to get a gasket for the pickup screen on the
bottom of the boat. also is there any performance tips on the jet pump?

Marlon, as engine/drives are not boat brand specific, I would post this question up in the I/O, inboard forum. You'll get much better viewing coverage.

But please do make a thread here tho, with pictures of your Gulfstream and all the info you know about it.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

the japs are taking over

HENDRU

Recruit

Ahh Yes!!! You Posted Just What I Was Looking For, The Specs To My Boat. Paperwork I Didn't Have From My Parents. I To Am A Gulfstream Owner. Mine Has Been In Our Family Since It Was Brand New In 1974. Its An 18' Runabout. We Have Restored The Seats And Put New Carpet On The Floor. Rebuilt The Straight Line 6cyl Engine A Few Years Back. Rebuilt The Gears In The Outdrive As Well. But The Fiberglass Shell Is Flawless. They Were Definitly Built To Last. Some 34 Years Later Still Looking Pretty Darn Good!! Mine Is Blue On White (the best color in my opinion) With The Original Wood Steering Wheel. Waterski's And Wakeboards Millerton Lake Every Summer Baby!!!

IHlvr

Recruit

Just got ahold of my dad's old '75 gulfstream. It's good to see some other gulfstream owners. I will never forget the day he bought it, i think i was about 12, 1984 or so. still a great boat, too bad in his older years he didn't keep it covered, so, now, I have a bit of a restoration project. ;)
Keep the posts coming.

gulf_streamin

Recruit

Damn at least i'm not the only one with an old a** gulfstream. At least its a good looking boat, I got a 78' with 305 I just rebuilt but I should have checked the lower unit before i did that, oops. At least there is a master OMC tech a half mile from my house. Anywho just wanted to show some gulfstream love, cant wait to take it out on the lake

newboat.jpg

wslm.boarder

Recruit

There was another size boat that GulfStream made, the 24 Foot Calypso. We have one. It's a 1989, cuddy cabin, 454 Merc, Alpha One, Trim tabs, rear seat pulls to full queen bed, 2 burner stove, Ice Box, tons of storage under floor (4 Cubby's, 2 live wells, and a ski locker).

My grandpa bought it new, and got dual captains chairs and a walk through bow rail installed during production =)

He then got the rear swim platform strengthened and carried his 1987 Kawasaki JS550 back there.

The title of this post is absolutely true.

It is actually for sale $5000 O.B.O.

I will get some pictures this weekend when I am out on it!!!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Boarder,

You do realise this is a 2 year old thread, right?

stoweii

Recruit

And here is my baby

Attachments

• 4317_1140814165477_1381113026_30714117_4025969_nresize.jpg
    4317_1140814165477_1381113026_30714117_4025969_nresize.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 4317_1140814005473_1381113026_30714113_1549234_n.jpg
    4317_1140814005473_1381113026_30714113_1549234_n.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0

TJDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

achris,
IMO, I am glad this old thread gets updated every now and then. There are very few Gulfstreams still alive and kicking and I am always interested in seeing more out there. I am subscribed to all the Gulfstream threads in hopes of finding more boats like mine out there.
Stoweii,
Very nice boat. Looks almost like my 73, except mine has the 165hp Inline six Mercruiser. Year, specs, and more pics????
Thanx,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.