johnson 50hp not charging battery

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 50hp not charging battery

What year 50hp?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

How did you determine the charging system isn't working? If the battery goes dead, thats not necessarily a sign the charging the charging system is not functioning. It could be a battery that won't hold a charge. Bad/corroded cable connections, etc. So what have you checked so far? Do you have a voltmeter/ohmmeter and do you know how to use it?

i usually put the battery out of the boat in the car when im not using it on the boat so i know its always charged, never had any issues with the battery going dead on me before so just assumed that the outboard wasnt charging the battery. The cable connectors are housed in a watertight cabinet so they are spotless. I dont have a voltmeter.

regards

rob

D

DJ

You are kidding yourself if you don't have a $10,00 volt meter.

With that, just connect it (voltmeter) across the terminals of the battery. That will tell you. Anything over 13 volts means your battery IS charging.

If the engine is NOT charging, most likely, you have blown the rectifier. That part is less than $20.00, here on iboats.

I take it you do this while the engine is running. What RPM would you advise? What does the rectifier do?

regards

rob

D

DJ

You should see OVER battery voltage at idle.

The "Rectifier" converts AC voltage (produced by the stator) to DC voltage, for battery charging.