99 Super Hawk. Repair, Transform, Rig

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 99 Super Hawk. Repair, Transform, Rig

Well, I got the front and back decks off again. I was hoping to find a damaged livewell hose at the fitting on the waterline, but they both looked ok. So....I put the plug in and filled her with a lot of water. Enough to be deep enough to cover all but two thru hulls and much higher than I'd seen it in the bilge when I realized there was a leak. The picture shows what I found. I tiny leak just below the drain plug in the keel. It was a drip about every 7 seconds. Not near enough in that direction to account for the leak I was having while on the water. Not sure if it is a different thing when the water pressure is coming from the outside in. Here is the picture.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Couple of things...
Is the boat sitting level, bow up or down...?
If bow up, crank the bow down and make sure the leak is not coming from somewhere up front...
Does the boat have a live well overflow in the front?
Next, it is possible that the water might come in faster than it goes out due to the possibility of a one way valve-like action...what I mean is the spot where the leak comes in at might be pushing loose sealant or crud out of its way letting water in, whereas if it tries to go out the same way, it acts like a one way valve...:noidea:

83mulligan

Couple of things...
Is the boat sitting level, bow up or down...?
If bow up, crank the bow down and make sure the leak is not coming from somewhere up front...
Does the boat have a live well overflow in the front?
Next, it is possible that the water might come in faster than it goes out due to the possibility of a one way valve-like action...what I mean is the spot where the leak comes in at might be pushing loose sealant or crud out of its way letting water in, whereas if it tries to go out the same way, it acts like a one way valve...:noidea:

GT: It was slightly bow up. I'm going to take it to a little local lake and float it this weekend to see if I can locate the source with the decks off. I hear you on the check valve like action. I'll watch that spot close. Unfortunately, that area is under an aluminum formed knee brace, so its impossible to see the bottom of the boat there. Now that its dry again I can also get under the boat and clean that area and look for a pin hole. It also looks to me like there is some diy caulking done on the drain plug fitting piece.

fishrdan

Admiral

Are you going to reseal the drain plug fitting before testing it on the lake?

A digital camera may help to track down where the leak is coming from as you can point it into tight spots and reveal things you can't see.

83mulligan

Are you going to reseal the drain plug fitting before testing it on the lake?

A digital camera may help to track down where the leak is coming from as you can point it into tight spots and reveal things you can't see.

Definitely. I'm 99% sure its the source. A little further investigating revealed the seal on the bottom is broken. It looks like someone has tried before. I'll use 5200 and see if that solves the issue. Only thing is, not sure how i'll get to the back on the inside. It's tight.

fishrdan

Admiral

Only thing is, not sure how i'll get to the back on the inside. It's tight.

Cross your fingers and hope it's attached with self tapping screws instead of machine screws and nuts. On my 01 it was attached with self tapping screws....

83mulligan

Cross your fingers and hope it's attached with self tapping screws instead of machine screws and nuts. On my 01 it was attached with self tapping screws....
Yeah, here's hoping!

83mulligan

Fisherdan, Here is a shot of my forward bow. Plenty more room up there for some modification. I'll relocate whatever foam i take out to a new home close by.

83mulligan

Haven't had a lot of time to work on the boat lately. Mostly just thinking about what to do with it. Been thinking about big lake safety lately. Got my marine radio ordered and am kicking around the idea of putting a pair of scuppers to drain the forward deck overboard in the case of stuffing the bow into a wave on the great lakes. This would require some sort of temporary bulkhead device under the walk through windshield so that as much water would drain out the scuppers before leaking into the bilge and the deck of the boat.

fishrdan

Admiral

Fisherdan, Here is a shot of my forward bow.

Looks just like my bow, should plenty of room for dual batteries.

For scuppers in the bow, I'd run it past the rest of the forum members to see what they think (separate thread). I'd want the water to get back the the stern as quick as possible, so the bow isn't weighed down and sucking up the next wave. I took a wave over the bow while trolling, probably 20 gallons of water. I just gunned the engine a bit to stick the bow into the air and it drained back to the stern quickly, most of it through the walk through, but a bunch went to the sides of the consoles too.

A bow cover might be a better solution than scuppers, though it might get torn up or act like a swimming pool if the bow sticks a wave bad.

83mulligan

Looks just like my bow, should plenty of room for dual batteries.

For scuppers in the bow, I'd run it past the rest of the forum members to see what they think (separate thread). I'd want the water to get back the the stern as quick as possible, so the bow isn't weighed down and sucking up the next wave. I took a wave over the bow while trolling, probably 20 gallons of water. I just gunned the engine a bit to stick the bow into the air and it drained back to the stern quickly, most of it through the walk through, but a bunch went to the sides of the consoles too.

A bow cover might be a better solution than scuppers, though it might get torn up or act like a swimming pool if the bow sticks a wave bad.

Dan, got the drain plug back in. Seated and Sealed with 5200. I need to launch with all the decks off to see if there is any water intruding from the livewell connections next.

Scuppers did not go over well with the rank and file here. Thinking about some kind of shielding for the bow for a little extra insurance. Maybe something out of fiberglass like a snow plow, lol???? Something to give 12 to 18" more protection on the bow and divert water away from the cockpit that could come on and off for big water use only. I don't know.

fishrdan

Admiral

Thinking about some kind of shielding for the bow for a little extra insurance. Maybe something out of fiberglass like a snow plow, lol???? Something to give 12 to 18" more protection on the bow and divert water away from the cockpit that could come on and off for big water use only. I don't know.

Doubled up thickness Sunbrella bow cover with a seat post in the center to hold it up? The seat post would need something (padding) so it didn't rip through and the cover would need a bunch of snaps so it didn't pull free.

83mulligan

Doubled up thickness Sunbrella bow cover with a seat post in the center to hold it up? The seat post would need something (padding) so it didn't rip through and the cover would need a bunch of snaps so it didn't pull free.

I hear you on the cover. I guess I just like stuff that is more positive in design. IE, not as many factors involved like ripping, snaps popping etc. I think i'm thinking about it too much. I need to enjoy the rest of the summer with the boat, see how it actually performs in some seas and then make that part a winter project.

83mulligan

I need to raise my Yamaha T8 up a few inches. I'd like to raise it 3 inches and run bolts through the bottom mounting hole on each side (see picture). This is about 1 inch below the transom cap. Also, there are two more bolt holes at the lower part of the mounting bracket that I will use too. I won't be able to use the twist type mounting screws with cups on them any more. Does anyone see an issue with this being too close to the top of the transom to hold well?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

All I know is the higher you go the more torque you'll put on the transom. As long as the Transom is sound you should be fine, but I'm not speaking from experience just an opinion.:)

83mulligan

All I know is the higher you go the more torque you'll put on the transom. As long as the Transom is sound you should be fine, but I'm not speaking from experience just an opinion.:)

Thanks Wood. The transom is sound. I understand about going higher and how it increases torque. I'm ok with the level that the prop is in relation to the bottom of the boat. What bugs me is that the engine drags in the water when tilted up and the boat not on plane. On plane, it's fine. So, I don't know.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What's the distance from the top of your transom to the bottom or your keel? What's the distance from the top of the Motor Mount to the bottom of the cavitation plate?

83mulligan

What's the distance from the top of your transom to the bottom or your keel? What's the distance from the top of the Motor Mount to the bottom of the cavitation plate?

21 and 22 inches respectively. Although, the 21" is to the bottom of the hull, not the keel. It's a kicker motor. I wonder if 1" is enough to get it out of the water?

83mulligan

WINDSHIELD WORK

When I got the boat I noticed the starboard window section was not in its original location. I'm thinking they moved it to help the walkthrough section close. Well, the problem is the support under the dash is rotted and causes the dash and the windows to drop and then nothing closes properly. You can see their handy work here.

Notice where the windshield used to sit. You can still see the outline on the dash.

Here you can see the end of the windshield is set back from its original spot about 3/4"
and the walkthrough piece is tight at the top and open big time at the bottom

Last edited:

83mulligan

I pulled the screws and found their original holes. Put them back in and now the windshield is in the right place. Not a huge accomplishment, but its progress!

Here it is back in the proper position. And now I'm looking at the livewell and thinking do I really need a 30 gallon livewell that can house a world class musky or could I do something more productive with that space?