9 Things That Will Disappear In Our Lifetime

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Re: 9 Things That Will Disappear In Our Lifetime

Dude, you're talking about like when you e-sign insurance documents from a business. That's one thing, and only large businesses have that.

You might want to review the whole thread, because that is exactly what I have been talking about.
What have you thought we were discussing?? :confused:

I've spoken to lawyers and they have told me the reason that fax machines are still around are because they are the only method of remote signature that is accepted in the legal profession. I'm not going to argue with them or you.

That basic point was made 50 posts ago...so I'm really not sure what burr you have got under your saddle... :confused:
I've simply pointed out that your use of the word "only" is incorrect....but whether or not you have understood the discussion, like you, I have nothing to add.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

While really a subset of books which are on the list , there is something specific about encyclopedia that I have always valued a lot....in book form. I still enjoy picking a volume up and just thumbing through it like window-shopping.
I have 3 sets in the house including a kid's set that 40 years ago I used constantly. My kids hardly used them at all as they've grown up...hard to say whether I will still have them when I have grandchildren.

They are technologically obsolete, factually out-of-date in some areas (world geography especially) , and not as fast as Google etc. but I'll miss them.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I should've specified to open a can... way back when, the bottle opener was just "fluff" on the church key. They were made to open cans that didn't have "pop tops".

That reminds of an old song... that was "covered" by one of them young hippy types:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm-zduI7zcE

Up here a church key is for opening bottle, not a can opener.
And why would a can opener be on the way out? there is alot of food products that come in cans.

(pop tops are usually only found on insta food containers-spagetti in a can)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Up here a church key is for opening bottle, not a can opener.
And why would a can opener be on the way out? there is alot of food products that come in cans.

(pop tops are usually only found on insta food containers-spagetti in a can)

I think he means a can "piercer" the ones that put a small triangular hole in a can lid that makes it pourable....like juice containers...or in the case of beer drinkers before zip-tops....drinkable right from the can. :)

The wide-range of quick-open sealers available now makes it a fairly infrequent use item now.

What i call a "church key" has a piercer on one end and a bottle cap remover on the other.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

What i call a "church key" has a piercer on one end and a bottle cap remover on the other.

AHHH the piercing end of the church key, not the bottle top opener end!! :p

(people gotta start posting pics of their kitchen gear to clarify)

YUP, about the only thing we use that end for is tomatoe juice in a can, some clam juice in a can and soup stock in a can, everything else these days comes in those tetris packs.

bassman284

Commander

AHHH the piercing end of the church key, not the bottle top opener end!! :p

(people gotta start posting pics of their kitchen gear to clarify)

YUP, about the only thing we use that end for is tomatoe juice in a can, some clam juice in a can and soup stock in a can, everything else these days comes in those tetris packs.

I speak a little Canadian but I'm obviously not fluent. What the heck is a tetris pack? (Google failed me)

BTW, pic of church key for the young.

Church key.jpg

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

Books no way just watch Book of Eli.

I have one bill I must pay in cash or check - my water bill

I have a church key as my beer doesn't have twist off tops. Don't use the pointy end much. But have a P-38 can opener

Luckily my regular gas station has a drive up pay phone. I park by it when i get coffee. BTW most kids get a cell phone around 10 years old.

True land lines will give way to VOIP.

Who really actually watches television? The stuff coming through the air for free.

The only place that refused to take cash I've been was a government office. Well the guy at the oil change place said he hadn't been trained on taking cash.

A lot of colleges only accept mailed documents for transcripts, no faxes, no emails. State board of nursing is the same way