87 blackmax 175 help

jigmister

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 87 blackmax 175 help

I see. first thing I will do is yank that thing off if it has one.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Give it the 'float' test? See if/how long it will float in the bay.

jigmister

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the stator put in today. put it on the garden hose. idle is horrible. dies in fact.

Do I need to time the thing or what? all I did is pop in the new stator.

idle was smooth and steady with old stator.

jigmister

Petty Officer 1st Class

just did a spark test. found starboard bank has the ONLY 2 cylinders with spark.
Top and bottom hole have spark. the other 4 do not.

removed idle stabalizer and got spark on 5 holes. verifed this by putting idle stabalizer back on. went back to 2 cylinders.
removed idle stabalizer and back to spark on 5 holes just as before.

started trouble shooting with DVA
trigger readings showed 120 on all three test CDI calls for 4v + ??????
ohmed out tirgger winders per CDA. calls for 800-1400 resistance. I get less than 1 ohm on any of the three test.......... not even continuity. will not ring out................

some where along the line of trouble shooting I lost a second cylinder

what you guys think? how the heck can it run at all with those kind of trigger ohms?

when CDI calls for 4+ DVA and I get 120 is that a pass or fail? thats a huge differnce.

thanks

Last edited:

bullet 101

Seaman Apprentice

Hope you bought a genuine Mercury stator,CDI stators are garbage can material.

j_martin

Admiral

I think your meter has seen it's better days, or you don't know how to use it. None of those numbers make sense or are even possible.

my 02
John

jigmister

Petty Officer 1st Class
87 blackmax

87 blackmax

post was getting too long. started new.

new CDI stator
just did a spark test. found starboard bank has the ONLY 2 cylinders with spark.
Top and bottom hole have spark. the other 4 do not.

removed idle stabalizer and got spark on 5 holes. verifed this by putting idle stabalizer back on. went back to 2 cylinders.
removed idle stabalizer and back to spark on 5 holes just as before.

started trouble shooting with DVA
trigger readings showed 120 on all three test CDI calls for 4v + ??????
ohmed out tirgger winders per CDA. calls for 800-1400 resistance. I get less than 1 ohm on any of the three test.......... not even continuity. will not ring out................

some where along the line of trouble shooting I lost a second cylinder

what you guys think? how the heck can it run at all with those kind of trigger ohms?

when CDI calls for 4+ DVA and I get 120 is that a pass or fail? thats a huge differnce.

thanks

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 87 blackmax

I think you are doing the DVA test wrong. take that idle stabilizer and throw it away please. get a manual and adjust timing to 25* BTDC. I have no idea what wires you are testing, but the CDI manual is very specific exactly what wires to test. your multi meter should be set to DC volts when doing DVA test. not sure what you are doing wrong, but you are doing something wrong for sure.

jigmister

Petty Officer 1st Class

got back into trouble shooting today.
trigger dva test. three readings- 15 14 and 22 that sound right?

stator tested in range at 270 250 98 and 100
found no spark on 3 and 5 cylinders. dva tested 3 and 5 at switch box and coil. very low readings. all other cylinders were above 150. Traded swtich boxes and problem moved to other bank.
replaced switch box and now I have spark on all holes!! took and threw the idle stabalizer in the trash trailer.
Tommorow I will get to the ramp and see how she runs under load. got all my fingers crossed......

SparkieBoat

Captain

sounds like you have a shorted switch box..or wires were loose/shorted

j_martin

Admiral

Looks like you finally took the advice proffered in post 37, which you already said you did in 41.

jigmister

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got rid of the idle stabalizer earlier this week. in post 37 and 41 I was not sure if I had the stabalizer. Once I got my hands on the 100 dollar merc service manaul I was able to positivley identify the thing. unhooked it and got 5 holes firing rather than 2!!! put it back on to verify what I was seeing. and yep back to 2.

It appears that idle stabalizer took parts out along with it.

j_martin

Admiral

I got rid of the idle stabalizer earlier this week. in post 37 and 41 I was not sure if I had the stabalizer. Once I got my hands on the 100 dollar merc service manaul I was able to positivley identify the thing. unhooked it and got 5 holes firing rather than 2!!! put it back on to verify what I was seeing. and yep back to 2.

It appears that idle stabalizer took parts out along with it.

Yep. What's really fun is when they short bias to ground at WOT, advancing the timing to about 50?. First indication is a rod cap to the back of the head.

That's why we chit can them.

jigmister

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for all the help guys. I will be sure to let you know how it goes at the boat ramp.
This site is awsome. whats your opinon about CDI parts if I might ask Martin?

jigmister

Petty Officer 1st Class

:d:d:d

all is well. idle is smooth. blast off and power is great. ran a good clip today and she did not miss a beat!

thanks everyone

Last edited: