86 Sea Ray Restoration [Splashed Oct 2017]

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You do not need adhesive to assemble the exhaust. It should be put together dry and most important, clean.
thanks rick but i had already got the adhesive and installed the flapper before i read your post. now i see why you said you would have left it and not replaced it, the new one does the same thing its just not a ting ting ting now its more like a thud thud thud

im hoping i wont notice it once i get the dog house on

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
also was thinking.... i may check all my coil wires for continutiy, i wonder if an old frail brittle coil wire could cause the shake?

boatman37

Lieutenant
if anybody out there is on the fence about sei come on down and order!!! justin and rob are knowledgeable, kind, helpful, courteous and genuinely care about your project

ive ordered an outdrive, trim pump and various odds and ends

once the boat is in the water and i get a chance to actually use the products ill check in with an update, but so far im extremely happy with sei,

trim pump is installed, works great! i got the trim limit set but my trim sender was in reveres.... i ordered the wrong gauge :facepalm:

when you guys trailer your outdrive do you leave it maxed up or bump it back down an inch or two from the top?

dock neighbor broke his OMC upper a few weeks ago and ordered an SEI with the conversion kit. looks just like my Alpha now. says it works great. but his shifter was backwards. he had to put it in reverse to go forward and vice versa. he said he bought a kit to fix that and was messing with the engine one day and said he was installing it so it must go on the engine?

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
dock neighbor broke his OMC upper a few weeks ago and ordered an SEI with the conversion kit. looks just like my Alpha now. says it works great. but his shifter was backwards. he had to put it in reverse to go forward and vice versa. he said he bought a kit to fix that and was messing with the engine one day and said he was installing it so it must go on the engine?
im sorry boatman but i dont know anything about omc or omc to alpha conversion. i started with alpha upper and lower, i just replaced with sei's equivelient

briangcc

Commander
Take it for what its worth but I had a nasty shake, shook the whole boat, on some startups. Turned it off, started back up and purred no problem. This started right before the lovely $900 Fuel Pump went in the Volvo. Gotta love Volvo pricing! In any event, problem went away after the pump was replaced.

Didn't see that in your list of replaced parts so it *might* be something to at least check.

As for trailering - I run the trim all the way up and forget about it.

Rick Stephens

Admiral

Easy fix would be an opposite rotation prop.

boatman37

Lieutenant
Easy fix would be an opposite rotation prop.

lol. i thought the same thing and actually wondered about it because his old prop wouldn't work on the new SEI so i lent him my spare. he still has it but its a stainless that i will likely never use. would that have hurt anything with switching to a reversed prop?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
lol. i thought the same thing and actually wondered about it because his old prop wouldn't work on the new SEI so i lent him my spare. he still has it but its a stainless that i will likely never use. would that have hurt anything with switching to a reversed prop?

Wouldn't hurt a thing. Been done a gazzillion times.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
You need to SPLASH this puppy!

I agree 100%......go splash that thang!! :eyebrows:

I lower my outdrive onto a transom saver that's attached to the trailer. I figure it rides lower, which is better for the bellows, and takes all the load off the hydraulics. Some will say I'm nuts I'm sure for doing this, but it makes sense to me. :becky:

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
Goldie - the engine may just need a good hard run. Remember it's been sitting for a couple years. The only other possibility may be valve timing or cam shaft lobe wear. Having said that go give it a hard run. If there is a problem the boat won't have power to plane or get upto WOT. Every engine has a personality to some degree - yours might just be "shaky" -

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Take it for what its worth but I had a nasty shake, shook the whole boat, on some startups. Turned it off, started back up and purred no problem. This started right before the lovely $900 Fuel Pump went in the Volvo. Gotta love Volvo pricing! In any event, problem went away after the pump was replaced.

Didn't see that in your list of replaced parts so it *might* be something to at least check.

As for trailering - I run the trim all the way up and forget about it.
Thanks for the tip on the fuel pump! its one of the few parts i have'nt replaced :watermelon::)

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You need to SPLASH this puppy!
LOL! I know right??!!!! :D:watermelon:

im not ready to splash just yet:) maybe sprinkle...... but not splash! :drum: :D:tennis::watermelon:

things left to do:
  • install trailer tail lights, (all other trailer lights already installed)
  • install trailer side guides
  • run wires for side guide lights
  • get a new license plate
  • install trim sender gauge
  • make all the bilge area wires nice and neat with looms and clamps
  • hide and tiddy up wires at the helm
  • install the bilge pump
  • clean up the mess i made in the bilge (spilt atf fluid, spilt oil etc.
  • install stereo, amp, speakers
  • pair wireless foot pedal and wireless remote to trolling motor
  • pick a fish finder, so far i got it boiled down to raymarine axiom 12 or hummingbird solix 12, i like lawrance but your bang for buck seems to go further else where......
  • i filled all the holes on the back when i painted so i need to fabricate and attach a plate to the transom exterior for my transducer and speedometer thingy, im not sure if i wanna screw the plate, or maybe epoxy the plate to the exterior?
  • attach my 2017 tags and serial numbers on both sides
  • still waiting on blue sea for my add a battery kit, hopefully they will start filling back orders soon to thier distributers
  • tighten up all the bolts from the new upholtered pieces
  • align and adjust the walk through window
  • install led strips, i got the water proof indivdually addressable kind, pretty sweet, you can controll them from your phone!!
  • make a final decision about installing a live well/bait well
After doing the esential stuff Im going to put it in the water and test it thouroghly for a few days by myself before i actually splash for real and celebrate with a bbq.

Once its in the water and i put it through its paces under load i can evaulte the shake and the boat overall. baring some serious machine work only things left to solve the shake is maybe a new fuel pump, a new carb and maybe petronix electonic ignition with a new coil

Finally soon i will no longer have to hear from family and friends.....

"DAAAAMMM....... YOU STILL WORKING ON THAT BOAT????" :eek:
and to that i reply like my lovely vegan niece...... "KALE YEAH!!!"

:facepalm::rolleyes::D:watermelon::D:cool::fish2:

Last edited:

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree 100%......go splash that thang!! :eyebrows:

I lower my outdrive onto a transom saver that's attached to the trailer. I figure it rides lower, which is better for the bellows, and takes all the load off the hydraulics. Some will say I'm nuts I'm sure for doing this, but it makes sense to me. :becky:
Drizzles for now... but splash soon to follow :watermelon::D

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Goldie - the engine may just need a good hard run. Remember it's been sitting for a couple years. The only other possibility may be valve timing or cam shaft lobe wear. Having said that go give it a hard run. If there is a problem the boat won't have power to plane or get upto WOT. Every engine has a personality to some degree - yours might just be "shaky" -
Scott was saying the same thing basically, run it under load before i do anything else and i agree. im just obsessed with making it as good a i can and im really impatient becasue im so close to splashing

ill check in with an update and photos when i make my test runs

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I trailer with the oudrive in full up position.
Thanks Jas, full up sounds good to transport then i guess ill set it down on a piece of rubber or something for storage

im curious about the transom saver gonna look it up just to see whats it all about

Last edited:

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i gotta start looking for a nice quiet laidback launch where i can take my time and not be in the way

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Goldie,

I'm an hours drive from the nearest boatable water. After I resealed the outdrive myself, first time, I hauled the boat to one of my kid's baseball games that is nearby a boat ramp I use a lot at the lake. Dropped him off for pregame and took the boat for a 20 minute spin by myself. Beats the hell out of taking everyone and finding a problem then. So I"m with ya. Do what you gotta do to make sure it is good before planning a real day on the water.

Rick

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Goldie,

I'm an hours drive from the nearest boatable water. After I resealed the outdrive myself, first time, I hauled the boat to one of my kid's baseball games that is nearby a boat ramp I use a lot at the lake. Dropped him off for pregame and took the boat for a 20 minute spin by myself. Beats the hell out of taking everyone and finding a problem then. So I"m with ya. Do what you gotta do to make sure it is good before planning a real day on the water.

Rick
WOW I feel so lucky now knowing i have water all around me 10 minute drive to the river :D